Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What would you guys do?

Nick87

My brother and I hunt for one week together every year. So far it has been muleys every year. We are planning an elk hunt for 2021 in Wyoming after we burn our antelope points this year. We both work at the same company and getting time off is hard to for us at the same time but they are willing to let us take usually 1 week or maybe a day over together. I'm thinking since our time is limited only one of us should apply for the elk tag every other time we have the points. We could still hunt together and there's a lot less pressure with only one of us having to fill a tag. I'm thinking this would allow us to hunt said unit or units more often and learn it better by hunting it more frequently. It would also let us accumulate points for other species and other states due to the fact we only take one trip per year and we would be using that for elk twice as much. We usually split the meat up from all deer birds etc. every year anyway so that's not an issue. What do you guys think would we be crazy to only have one of us shooting every trip or better off without wasting the money and being able to hunt it twice as much??

Sounds like a great plan ! I have hunted with a friend for OTC archery elk in CO, with each of us having our own tag. We were total rookies. For several reasons, I wish we would have done exactly what you are thinking. Also, I have usually went on mule deer hunts with my daughter and wife and been glad that the majority of the time we only had one tag.

For me it depends on whether or not you get to hunt back home as well. If it was my one and only chance for the year, it would be tough not having a tag too, especially when I know I could have. But if you guys are in lock step on sharing meat and have the same level of commitment to each other, the one hunter per year route is probably the smarter way to go.

Yah I can always fill a couple whitetail tags if I want to back home. Although I've chosen not to the last couple years.

Last edited:
A hunt can be very enjoyable even when you're not the one with a tag. Your plan sounds like a good one. If after doing that for a few years you get to know the area better and feel like there's an opportunity to fill two tags, then switch your plan and add a new state or species into the mix.

I take just as much pleasure in helping buddies fill their tags as I do my own, last year I got to help two good friends kill bulls and it was a great season. I agree on taking a little pressure off as well, filling two elk tags in a week in a place you don't know is a tall order.

If you are hunting with a bow, during the rut, you are going to want one person calling for the other anyway. During the rifle season, post rut, having two people hunting different areas at the same time would be of benefit. All depends on how you hunt. If you usually stay together though out the day a single tag would be my recommendation. If you usually hunt alone and meet up for lunch and after dark then two tags will increase the chance of success.

My hunting partner and I hunt together every year. Most years we have alternated but occasionally one of us has been drawn early and he both have tags. The first season it worked out amazingly with two raghorns dropped 50 yards from each other. That being said, the alternating is much better. One shooter, one designated spotter works out a lot better. Shooter makes the final call and you don’t have to worry about wanting to go to different spots or strategies. We have never actually discussed splitting the meat but every animal that we have shot gets split right down the middle. We hunted the elk, killed the elk together, packed it out together, it is both of our elk. One guy just pulled the trigger, that means he gets the antlers and ivories. Everything else is right down the middle.

I like the idea of alternating years with bull tags. I would look into reduced price cow tags, or maybe even pronghorn tags within an hour or so, to go with the one bull tag. Spend one day filling pronghorn tags, the rest of the week hunting elk.
I like that idea too!

Reactions: LCH
I like the idea for alternating years with elk. My buddy and I will be in a similar situation in 2021 hopefully. The odds of us both getting elk in a week of hunting would be very slim, not to mention the logistics of coming all the way from NC with enough coolers and gear to haul 2 bull elk back.

I'd not discount the non-bull tag holder putting in for cow elk in the same unit. I've tagged along on some great adventures without holding the tag, but those have all been for OIL tags for a pard. I'd be a bit harder pressed to do that with something more "common" like an elk in a general or low point unit. That said, with the way point creep is going, WY elk, even general units, will not probably be that common anymore for a NR...

Given your situation I'd go with one bull tag per trip between the two of you, with maybe a cow tag for the second guy if you can draw it. Getting two bulls killed, hauled out, and dealt with, in an area you'll only hunt every 3-4+ years, with one week total to do it, is a tall order and sounds like a high pressure situation to put yourself in.

Thanks guys! Kinda confirmed what I was thinking. I think whoever isn't drawing that year could put in for a reduced price cow/doe antelope tag. If we dont draw and tag out early we could always coyote hunt, fish, or hopefully find some waterfowl to hunt somewhere.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back