What would you do?

bf1002

Just curious to get some input here on my dilemma. I ordered a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC from my local gun store on March 1st. At the time I was told it would be here in 4 to 8 weeks. I called the store after about 4 weeks just to check in. At that time I was told it would realistically be more like 8 to 12 weeks before I would receive the rifle. Ok no big deal, I know things are rough right now. I go into the store today and talk with an employee that tells me it will be 6 to 9 months before my gun is in. This won't work for me as I have a hunt in October that I have to have a rifle for. He tried to sell me on a Bergara that they have in stock right now. I don't know anything about them though. I do know that I would be going from a $2000 rifle to a $1000 one. Should I hold out for a Christensen? Is it worth the extra $1000? I really want to support my local store, but I can order the Ridgeline online and have it here in one week from another retailer. Curious to hear other peoples thoughts on this. Thanks.

There in stock allover around here. Scheels, murdocks, and local sporting goods store. Hell scheels even had a 6.5 prc ridgeline-ti on display and at normal price ($100 more than buds).

can your local store have it transferred or get it somehow from another store? Then you still fulfill your desire to support local. I don't know if they would be able to negotiate a deal so your final cost is the same.

I had heard quite a bit of negative stuff about the Christensen recently up here but it might be a local thing.

Bergara is great - they are very accurate. You could see about a local custom shop too. I paid $1650 for my 'semi custom' Kimber Montana in .280 AI. But if you want the Christensen it sounds like you could shop around and get one.

If you are set on that caliber and gun then just go buy it where you can get the best deal - this is America after all.

If you’re not set on it or are set on buying a gun from your local shop then perhaps consider their bergara, I believe Bergara was started by a guy that left Christensen? Could be wrong on that one.

Worth the extra $1k? Gun value is always in the eye of the beholder. The only times I’ve regretted spending big money on a rifle is when it doesn’t shoot well but that’s a risk with all guns regardless of manufacturer. Generally speaking I don’t usually regret spending more. But once, cry once.

Order it from somewhere else. Use your local shop as the FFL. When you pick up your new rifle you’ll probably buy a bunch of ammo for it from your local shop. Plus maybe some other stuff like a sling and case.

Just a warning if you don’t have prc ammo already that might be way harder to find than the gun. Have a buddy in a similar situation. He has the rifle picked out but wants to make sure he has ammo first and 6.5 prc seems to be a bit of a unicorn since there are so few options made. We are four months and have found one box combined at reasonable prices. If your willing to pay over $80 a box though we found some of that.

I would buy it from somewhere else. Like Northwoods said, you can buy all of your gear and components there.

Just a warning if you don’t have prc ammo already that might be way harder to find than the gun. Have a buddy in a similar situation. He has the rifle picked out but wants to make sure he has ammo first and 6.5 prc seems to be a bit of a unicorn since there are so few options made. We are four months and have found one box combined at reasonable prices. If your willing to pay over $80 a box though we found some of that.
I have 7 boxes I've picked up over the last two months. Plus I have everything I need to reload once I start shooting. I used ammoseek and only buy if it is $60 a box or less.

Thanks for the input everyone. I was already leaning towards getting it somewhere else.
Where are you at? My store has a FULL compliment of Christensens from the Rangers to the Chasis rifles, including several PRCs. Also have a Coopers, Proofs and Seekins Precisions. If you are close enough to consider the trip I would be happy to see exactly what we have when I go in on Tuesday.

My dad has rebarreled at least one Christensen that should never have left he shop, and which Christensen eventually replaced. He may actually have had to fix more than one(and he doesn’t work on a lot of guns, the sample size is small, but believe me, they totally screwed the pooch, and he’s never said a good thing about them...that doesn’t mean they’re all bad, but they’re not selling some fantastic product that can’t be matched by other companies...I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a Kimber, Nosler, Cooper, Sako or Tikka if I could find a comparable rifle, and I would think that Howa and Beragara would not be far behind the above mentioned companies if at all. I would also not expect the Christensen to be any better than any of them regardless of price difference ).

Don’t fear the Bergara. I don’t know a lot about Christensen, but realistically, from what I hear about the ones my dad has seen, they are over priced and over hyped. Better than a Remington? Sure. Are you going to be desperate for one after buying a $1000 Bergara? I HIGHLY doubt it.

The Bergara should be a step up from any Remington 700 that did not come out of the custom shop, and I don’t think for a second that Christensen is offering anything that you can’t beat by going full custom at a similar price.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back