What would you do?

Apply for the unit you want as a 1st choice and a guaranteed unit as 2nd choice. If you draw your 2nd choice you get to hunt AND continue building points. That has worked great for us both times we've gone. On our last trip, all four of us tagged out by the end of the 2nd morning.20181003_184030.jpg

Last edited:
Apply for the unit you want as a 1st choice and a guaranteed unit as 2nd choice. If you draw your 2nd choice you get to hunt AND continue building points. That has worked great for us both times we've gone. On our last trip, all four of us tagged out by the end of the 2nd morning in unit 22.
this is the strategy i like similar to empty: apply for a zone you ultimately want to hunt for a buck no how many points it takes. make sure they offer bunch of doe tags and most do then apply for 2 doe tags in same zone. worst case you probably draw 1 doe tag and spend a few days learning zone and in no hurry and in few years when you draw a buck tag you know what your in for and area. best case you draw buck and 2 doe tags still not hard to fill in couple days of hunting. win win, but point is to hunt

If you go later in the season, your trespass fees can be cheaper. I like hunting when it's cooler anyway. Prongorn is like dove season in the east. Everybody's out on opening day. I've been to units late when we were the only ones hunting. Just go before the drop their sheaths.

Apply for the unit you want as a 1st choice and a guaranteed unit as 2nd choice. If you draw your 2nd choice you get to hunt AND continue building points. That has worked great for us both times we've gone. On our last trip, all four of us tagged out by the end of the 2nd morning in unit 22. View attachment 140087
I've done this twice but in a different unit.

Do the special for your dream unit and then get a decent 100% 2nd choice. This keeps your points and puts you in a lot better of a unit than the regular draw second choice. Don’t over look the amount of HMA’s available in a unit even though most is private.

Do the special for your dream unit and then get a decent 100% 2nd choice. This keeps your points and puts you in a lot better of a unit than the regular draw second choice. Don’t over look the amount of HMA’s available in a unit even though most is private.

This is a good strategy. At least based on 2019 odds, there are a number of decent units that should be 100% or close to it on a special license 2nd choice. You'll get to hunt a buck and you might get lucky on that dream unit. And whatever you do, apply for the two doe tags as well. They're cheap, no points involved.

Thanks for all the input everyone, i think i'm starting to really get a feel for this lol. Another thing i was wondering about, how much of a hassle would it be to fly and hopefully bring meat home? flying could give me more hunting time, but not sure if its worth the extra headache

Back