Caribou Gear

What would you do with the last box of .22’s?

Jbotto

A popular outdoor publication posed this same question to some of their writers. I thought this would be a fun topic posted here as many of you are thoughtful, insightful, and nostalgic. Hopefully I don’t ever see this in my lifetime, but you never know!

So, what would you do with your last box of .22 rimfire ammo?

I’m calling this as I read it: a box, not a brick. My go-to box is a 100round box of CCI Minimag HP’s. I would take off with my favorite rifle, a Glenfield 25, dusty 4x Bushnell, and a leather sling. I’d drive back to my childhood home in rural MN and hunt cottontails with snow on the ground. I’d focus on old farmsteads, brush piles, and overgrown creek bottoms. My focus would be on cottontails, but I wouldn’t turn down a chance at a fox or gray squirrel. I could very easily be content with this until my last box was empty, then I’d be lost with a big part of my childhood memories and a chapter of my life closed.

Teach my daughter how to shoot. She is 4 now, but if it was the last box, I would let her shoot every last one. Some of my favorite childhood memories consisted of a box of .22, a little single shot ruger, and an assortment from the recycling bin!

Save them till the market peaks and people lose their minds on Inauguration Day and then I will cash out and go buy some 110 accubonds for my .257 Wby mag. In the meantime I’d probably spend a couple rounds on these pecan stealing squirrels in my yard.

Save them till the market peaks and people lose their minds on Inauguration Day and then I will cash out and go buy some 110 accubonds for my .257 Wby mag. In the meantime I’d probably spend a couple rounds on these pecan stealing squirrels in my yard.
You got pecans growing in your yard? Thats rad. All i have is plums and some crappy apples.

You can ship whatever the squirrels dont steal to me. Only thing better is black walnuts. Those things are delicious.

You can ship whatever the squirrels dont steal to me. Only thing better is black walnuts. Those things are delicious.
Only problem is I work a full time job leaving the squirrels many daylight hours to steal the majority of them. Unless I run out of .22 ammo there will be less of them to take my pecans next fall. 😉

When I was a kid—late 1960s early 1970s I’d take my 22 and walk the quarter mile up to the neighbors ranch and shoot ground squirrels. They gave me a dime for every tail. Like a bounty hunter. Squirrels were so thick the neighbors cattle were breaking their legs from stepping in so many squirrel holes. I’d spend all day up there by myself and get 20 or 30 squirrels. Not having any 22s anymore would really bum me out. But like others I’d probably save the last rounds as collector items.

I was thinking about this at the gun range Sunday. I have maybe 80 rounds left in my box of 500. I plinked 35 of them leaving plenty for bunny hunting this winter. Next year I’ll be the sad sap who buys them at x10 inflated price...if I can even find them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back