Caribou Gear

What were your worst caliber/rifle choices

@rwc101, similar story here. Was 14, went to BPS looking for a long dreamt of Win 70 classic featherweight in 270 that my dad would chip in for. Chickened out and bought an A-bolt hunter which was like $150 less. Decent gun but every time I look at it I just think I should have gotten what I wanted. Probably should fix that mistake.

Another one: Rem 81 woodsmaster in 35 Remington. Heavy and unwieldy as homemade sin, rough trigger, and would bounce empties off your forehead. Interesting design but found a new home.
What caliber a bolt?

Good day,
My worst was a model 99 Mauser in 300 Weatherby. Accurate gun but the bite was more than acceptable. Used it for one season and mainly for an elk hunt and traded it off after the trip. Made me flinch for a bit. Here is a pic from my two brothers who shot it once and said no thanks! Lol!

Attachments

• 20210119_183807.jpg
    20210119_183807.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 26
I bought a Savage Model 93 22mag two years ago off a sale rack for $125, it wasn't worth nearly that much.

I got a savage 93 17hmr when I was younger and you couldn't pay me to have another one. Extremely accurate, one of the most accurate guns I have shot but constant magazine/feeding issues. Also had a savage 220 that misfired often, gunsmith could never figure it out. Misfired on 3 separate bucks before I put it away for good. I know a lot of people love their savages but I have never been happy with any of mine.

Steve from Hammer is packing one in Africa. Can't wait for his report. mtmuley
I've been eagerly awaiting his reports...sounds like they're just arriving.

I have a CVA Express Double Muzzleloader that won't shoot the same place twice. Tried round balls and conicals with a dozen powder combinations. It weights like 13lbs too so it's more of a novelty when we go to the range to play.

My son bought a sporterized Mauser in 8x57. The barrel was cut to 20”s and apparently shot out during one of the wars. The action is date 1918 but it’s pieced together with various Mauser parts, some with Swastikas. We get minute of pie plate at 100 yard, at best. It has the Mauser military trigger which is fun to shoot. The reduced muzzle velocity of the heavy round makes MPB range about 200 yards, if you could hit anything based on the accuracy of the rifle.

My first rifle was a Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag. That rifle was a bitch to shoot and I hated it. It was so light and 130lb me couldn't handle it at the time, so much so that I had developed a flinch.

I got rid of that f'n thing and have never looked back!

I have the same set up and really like it. It shoots as well as I do. What didn’t you like about yours ?
Bullet nose would jam on the feed shoe. Called and the cs guy said he'd never heard of that. I asked him if he'd ever heard of the internet... A guy on rokslide had the same problem but sent his back. Kimber used a dremmel on it and sent it back to him. When you finally got it loaded it shot about 1-1/2". The wifes $450 savage shoots half that with factory ammo.

Ruger 77 Ultra Lite in .270, thing kicked worse than my 300 RUM. It went down the road, traded for a Winchester 70 Featherweight in 257 Roberts. Wish I still had that one.
My first rifle when I turned 13 was a Ruger M77 ultralight in 308. Man oh man did that think kick like a mule! And with the thin barrel it would heat up fast and start flinging lead all over the place after 2-3 shots. I still killed a lot of deer with that thing though.

OK, that reminds me, bought a CVA Apex with a 300 winnie barrel. 4" at 100 yds. Sent it back for another barrel under warranty. Second barrel shot the same, many different bullets. Notta, they were out of 300 winnie barrels so I opted for a 7-08 and it didnt shoot any better. Went down the fix the lockup road. Changed pivot pins. Nope. Gun shot good as a 50 cal muzzy. Gave it to my new son in law for Christmas minus the 7-08 barrel. He enjoys it. The only good side of this was when I was looking for brass to reload I asked a fellow coworker if he had any brass and I ended up buying his 788 in 7-08 with the brass. Thats a good one. I sold the chitty 7-08 barrel off the apex as a project barrel on Ebay if I remember right. I'm not willing to go down the single shot break action gun road anymore. If I buy a single shot now, it will be a Ruger #1.

1980’s era Remington 700 Mtn Rifle in 280 Rem. Only thing consistent about it is the fact it wont shoot any ammunition accurately. Still have it because the action is so smooth. May rebarrel it in a different caliber.

Back