What were your worst caliber/rifle choices

Mustangs Rule

What were your worst caliber/rifle choices.

My first one was .256 Winchester magnum in a weird Marlin leveraction. It was so inaccurate.

My second was a Model 94 in 32 Winchester special. Also inaccurate compared to the 30-30.

338 Win magnum. It was totally overkill. Plus the rifle I had it in was so finicky. A Belgium Browning with a wood stock with lots of grain.

Mini 30,,,,terribly inaccurate.

.223 Mini Mauser, feeding issues.

30-40 Krag, feeding issues.

.260 Remington Model 7. Trigger was plated cheap metal. I wore out the plating.

had a 35 rem lever action didnt like it much and also had a 22 hornet single shot for fox very inaccurate sold it for a 17 centerfire and love it for preds 4000 fps flat as hell n no fur damage plants yotes out to 300 yrds

Remington 7400 in 270. No caliber issues and the rifle was plenty accurate enough for hunting purposes but two different gun smiths couldn’t get it to be more than an expensive single shot. Still in the back of the safe because I feel bad sending it to someone else

M16, but it wasn't my 1st choice. I had no choice...
The old Win. lever in 32 I learned to shoot with could hit paper...
Had a Marlin 30-30 that I could never get to hit anything. Screwed up back sights.

Last edited:
Remington 700 Mountain Stainless in .270Win. Smooth action as you'd expect, but it wouldn't group anything I put through it. More like shooting patterns. 3-4" was the best it would do even after giving it a bedding job.
I've since had it rebarreled into a 25-06.

A 340 weatherby in a Sako. Not that I don’t like the cartridge or even the rifle. But when they were paired together that thing kicked harder than a mule and I’ve actually been kicked by a mule. I bought it from a coworker who was needing some cash. I couldn’t even get it sighted in as it rocked me so bad I started flinching. I’ve owned 375 rugers, 300 rum, 338 rum, and I’ve never been thumped as hard as that thing did. Just to light of a rifle and bad stock design to be chambered in that cartridge

Back during the magnum craze I bought a 270 weatherby mag in a Accumark. When I went to pick it up I saw a 300 wbymag in a nice Deluxe. I carried both home. Scoped them up and hauled them up to Alabama for whitetails. They were to much gun for that type of hunting too heavy, too long and too much power. The next hunt up I carried my old 30-06‘s in a Ruger tanger and a Browning xbolt. Since then I picked up a 7mm08 and a 270 win in MRC and Remington 700 respectively. the two weatherby magnums have been in the safe collecting dust ever since. I regret buying them but cant bring myself to unload them.

Just curious, what didn't you like about the .300 Wby. mag? What rifle was it in, and what loads were used? Thanks.
Mark V Fibermark... pre-loading days. Finicky w/ erratic accuracy, almost gave me a permanent flinch...punishing. Weird because I don't mind my current 300 RUM, albeit a better stock/pad and much more load bench affordable practice.

The good; the Fibermark went in a trade for a 270WSM Sako 75 tackdriver.

Rem 742 Woodsmaster in 30-06. For some reason I thought I needed a semi, sold my 760 pump in the same caliber for it. Had about half the accuracy (neither were “great”) and felt like twice the weight. If you shot it enough that the bbl heated the marginal accuracy got a lot worse plus the thing was like packing around a barbell.

I was in my early 20s, the pump I had bought new, the semi used. Thinking back I’m sure I didn’t know what to look for in a used gun and who knows what issues it may have had. Ended up with a bunch of red pads in various calibers and was always happy with em!

I was in my early 20s, the pump I had bought new, the semi used. Thinking back I’m sure I didn’t know what to look for in a used gun and who knows what issues it may have had. Ended up with a bunch of red pads in various calibers and was always happy with em!
Jeez, I recall a litany of amateur DIY 'how hard could it be' wrenching rodeos.

When you like rare guns, you find rare calibers and that is what makes it hard. Sako made some really obscure chamberings in their early L46 line of rifles. I have been able to get 4 of the 5 calibers including 222, 218 Bee, 22 Hornet and the ridiculous 7X33. Who ever heard of a 7X33? Try and get ammunition of components for something like that.

It is the top rifle, the case is compared to a 222 magnum case. it was originally made from an elongated 9mm Luger case...

thumbnail_IMG_6504.jpgthumbnail_IMG_6989.jpgthumbnail_IMG_9765.jpg

About 10 years ago I worked all summer (I was ~13) and bought a Savage Axis in .308.
I could never get that rifle to shoot. My uncle bought one the same day and still has it. It was a little better, but still not a rifle I care for.

At 100 yards it grouped about the same as my 30-30

Nosler M48 Liberty in 6.5 creedmoor. Sticky action, cerakote chipping and inaccurate.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back