What was your worst packout?

Solo elk. Shot a Roosevelt Bull in a Wilderness Area at 06:45 in a steep bowl, luckily less than 1/2 mile from trail. It was gonna be a hot day, so I started with multiple short trips up to the trail and down to a creek bed in order to shade quarters. Then headed to the trailhead with first load.
A little over 18 miles in six round trips. Each stop back at the truck was a gorge of calories and water, maybe a beer on last two trips. Finished in the dark around 2100 hours.
After the three days of hunting and packing I lost nearly eleven pounds and one toenail. It was by far the best "worst" hunting experience I can recall.

Bull elk. 12 hours, overnight. 40 degrees and raining. 4.8 miles from the truck. 2 trips each. One of, if not the, most exhausting and uncomfortable nights of my life, but it was with my dad and we will both remember that forever.

I clearly remember the last load. 3 miles from the truck, soaked to the bone and freezing. Just trudged through a creek b/c we couldnt get any more wet anyway. Took our packs off and collapsed under a tree for a breather. About 4 AM. Shut our headlamps off and just sat there in silence for several minutes. Out of the sound of the rain falling my dad said "for some reason we do this for fun". More silence. Then we put our packs back on and kept trudging.

Best friends opening day Montana bull elk. My buddy takes a respectable 6 pt bull, opening day on the breaks. Then it starts raining, sleeting and snowing. After taking 1/2 of it apart my son and buddy take off with. 1/4 each while finish taking the bull apart. I figure they’ll be gone an 1 1/2 hrs. Well conditions were terrible at best in the breaks slick mud. My friend and son return in about 30 mins. I had was just lifting off the last qtr. my friend states “We’re leaving it here“ and we’re getting back to camp before and thing gets broken. We finished getting that bull out on Monday and the head on Tuesday. Notice the ratchet strap!419BF06D-F5B6-4BF0-AB0A-9DE4D2972098.jpeg

Last edited:
-40 as we left the truck with a jet sled on thanksgiving morning at LG4 Camp Kiskamastaakin northern Quebec, my partner and I each harvested a bou somewhere 8-11km out. Both animals gutted and Stacked on the sled and started pulling, stopped cause we got tired often and the sled would freeze to the lake we were crossing, pull then freeze pull then freeze. Got pulled out by two 2up snowmobiles about half way ish, both sleds now had three people and two caribou. I was at the epicenter of suckatude and it was amaizing!

Back