Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What to take?

1_pointer

I know this comes up every year, but I want to know what you take with you for a days hunt?

for a 1 day hunt i will take a rifle and ammo, compass, gps,knife,rope tree stand, raingear,sodas, lunch,small flashlight,extra pair of socks,and most importantlly my son and all his hopes and dreams

Since one day normally turns into a three day deal, I take everything I might need. The rig is loaded with its stuff; comealong, rope, muletape, chains. Rope winch, coupla knives,sharpening stones, coupla boxes of shells, dry socks, coupla days of food, coupla gallons of water, extra rifle, extra clothes, coveralls. Then in my daypack I have just my stuff for the hunt; box of juice, sandwich, knives, socks, gloves, shells, flagging, space blanket, box camera, fire starting stuff.

On the actual hunt I take:

Rifle & Bullets
Hand gun & Bullets
Container of water
Container of Gatorade
Thermos of coffee
Rope
Knife
Sharpening steel
Leatherman
Binos
Plastic bag
Rubber gloves
First aid kit
GPS
Whistle
Matches
Cell Phone
Hatchet
Saw

Let's see..for a gun hunt, I carry a pair of binos, and a GPS and a compass. In my butt pack are a couple of knives, first aid kit, two bottles of water, snacks, kerchief, camera, small sharpening stone, and extra batteries. I also carry a rifle and a bullet.
I almost forgot to mention an indespensable item. Baby wipes. I carry a 25 tissue pack of baby wipes. Comes in handy for cleaning hands after gutting an animal and for cleaning a butt after taking a dump.

:cool:

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-20-2002 07:41: Message edited by: danr55 ]</font>

Yes...a Poly-5 dura-plex......unless we're packing in more than 5 miles ;)

Yeah Bill, the UT gen rifle season is 0ct. 5-12(I think) then I'll be heading to Unit 79. Can't wait. Beings that the season is so long and I didn't get up there this summer the first weekend will be mostly for a look see.

In my day pack I carry:
Compass
2 water bottles plus a bota bag
2 kinves
sharpening stone2 flashlights
Snicker bars
2 pair gloves
A fleece hood
flagging tape
pillow case for the heart and liver
Box of shells
Saw
paper and waterproof matches plus a lighter

I forgot all about my flagging tape. I always have a roll of surveyors tape or ribbon with me.

A note on the whistle. Do not use a metal one as it can stick to you when cold. If taking a whistle with you get the plastic one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back