What to expect from Leupold?

Found out dealer never shipped my scope back, they had ATF in the building when I brought it back and it got forgotten. Which is honestly a good thing so now I can deal with Leupold myself and cut out the middle man.

Another update: After the discussion I had with the previous tech at Leupold who pretty much said myself nor my dealer knew how to mount/adjust/site a scope (pretty much called us all idiots) and he proclaimed himself to be an expert. Most times in the situations I've encountered anyone that tells you they are an expert is normally anything but. Anyway, I called them again last night and spoke with another tech, I believe his name was David - either way I explained my situation again and the negative experience I had with the previous tech and he offered me free 2nd day air shipping to have my scope looked at. He apologized for how the other tech spoke to me and said "that's not how we do business at Leupold". I gotta say I was very pleased with how he handled the situation. He was very nice and professional, I look forward to seeing the results of my scope inspection.

Last edited:
Heard back from David at Leupold and they replaced the main tube and eye piece on my scope. He said both were damaged, I don't know how that happened unless it was damaged before leaving Leupold or in shipment to my dealer before I purchased it. I treat my guns like I would my child, maybe better :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Point me in the direction where I can find these warranty claim numbers please. I will research it if you post a credible data source.

I waiting as well. I've never had a problem with either of my Leupold scopes in 40 years.
eb8638fe5dfb9b3cd3c4467b0e6808537ca7df3ce46fb668339a5d387ca464e6.jpg

I think I hold the world record for trashing scopes....due to the hand cannons we put them on. I have broken every brand of handgun and rifle scope and I am kinda proud of it🤣.

Leupold has always fixed or replaced the scopes...I haven’t seen a change in failure rate with the new ones...but I also don’t run the cheap freedom line except on a couple 22LR.

I think I hold the world record for trashing scopes....due to the hand cannons we put them on. I have broken every brand of handgun and rifle scope and I am kinda proud of it🤣.

Leupold has always fixed or replaced the scopes...I haven’t seen a change in failure rate with the new ones...but I also don’t run the cheap freedom line except on a couple 22LR.

Have you broke a Nightforce?

I didn't take time to find the threads but several folks on the Texas Hunting Forum that shoot long range have had issues with the new scopes holding zero. Take their reviews with a grain of salt.
Leupold will treat you right.

It looks like they're taking care of you. For insurance sake I'd check for scope base straightness and scope ring alignment. Using the two pointed bars isn't as good of an indication of alignment as previously believed: Article Here

It looks like they're taking care of you. For insurance sake I'd check for scope base straightness and scope ring alignment. Using the two pointed bars isn't as good of an indication of alignment as previously believed: Article Here
The 2nd gun we mounted it on to test had DNZ one piece mounts, the first gun had Leupold DD's.

According to the tracking my repaired scope is set for delivery Monday, if it hits my local hub tomorrow afternoon I'm going to try to pick it up myself.

The gun its going back on has the DNZ.
I had intended not to write an involved post about why you should check your scope ring alignment but it looks like we're to that point. The reason to check is because like anything that is manufactured there are tolerances that each manufacturer has deemed to be an acceptable variation from a specified dimension. The ring manufacturer has a tolerance of ".xxx +/-" and the manufacturer of the rifle receiver has as tolerance of ".xxx +/-". If you get those off far enough to one direction or the other, when they're put together it could bend the base, mis-align the rings, and cause problems with the main tube of the scope. No manufacturer is perfect and that should be expected when assembling components not only by different manufacturers but by the same manufacturers. To ensure you're not a victim of stacked tolerances it would be wise to check your scope ring alignment. And if you move the scope to a different rifle, check the ring alignment on that rifle before you mount it.

^^^this. Particularly given what’s happened already. Many years ago I had some issues with a Zeiss scope. They fixed it under warranty both times. Finally I got smart and checked my rings, which were slightly out of alignment and directly causing the issue.

As we all know DNZ is a one piece mount so if its out of alignment then it came that way from the factory. My dealer has a dead nuts bar I'll have them check the DNZ before mounting the scope. According to UPS its set to be at the house today.

Back