Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

What to do with 6mmRem??

wisconsinteacher

Here's the deal. My buddy's dad got a Rem 700 6mmRem from his father-in-law and said it doesn't shoot. He asked me to try messing with it. I cleaned it up and shot a few rounds of the old factory ammo at 100 yards and shot a 5-6" group. It was ugly.

I took the gun back to the guy and he said, "keep it, does no good for me."

I reluctantly took it and called my buddy. Told him what his dad said and he agreed. (I asked 3 times)

I now have a Rem 700 bull barrel 6mmRem that is from at least the 1980s at my house and I don't know what to do with it.

I don't have a need for it due to the heavy barrel/cal and I don't want to have any drama with a buddy over a gun.

So here are my options:

1-return it to my buddy
2-keep it and try making it shoot (from there give it back)
3-replace the barrel with something more practical

What would you do?

I'd check the barrel twist and do some more shooting with it, maybe try some different ammo. Might be a bad barrel, but I have a Parker-Hale in 6mm Rem that is a really good shooter. I think there were 1:12 and 1:10 twists, but I don't remember for certain. If all else fails, I'd be glad to send you my FFL address!

FWIW, my barrel is a 1:10.

Option 2 seems to be what I'd do permitted it doesn't cost me a ton of $ to fix. It could be as simple as finding the right ammo or free floating the barrel to maybe mounting new sights/optics. If that doesn't work I'd try to give it back explaining if it doesn't have sentimental value that it could be taken to a gunsmith and they could do something with it. If they refuse another time, I'd probably put it in the safe and "keep it" for them until they are certain they don't want it.

A rebarrel would to something like 7mm08 or a faster twist 6mm/243/6 Dasher would be nice if they absolutely say no.

Seems like there would be a fixable problem if the inaccuracy is the pronounced, dinged up muzzle or something, but of the options you laid out I'd go #3. I've built 2 guns off a Rem 700 receiver using RemAge barrels and its actually not that complicated, but also very rewarding. You could turn that rifle into whatever short action you'd like with a fairly minimal collection of tools and a couple hours of YouTube videos.

Or here's a 4th option: send it to me. 😁

As stated it could probably be a 12 twist especially since it’s a heavy barreled rifle. Anything 80 grains and under should shoot in it.
If the barrel is stamped 6mm Rem it’s probably a 1:9.5., if it’s stamped 244 it’s probably a 1:12 twist.
What grain bullets were you shooting?
I would recommend trying something 80gr in lead ammo or under and see what happens.
Also how good of a buddy is he?😁

Last edited:
If you think there is any possibility of 'drama' now or down the road, I'd give it back. I agree that fiddling with a few different bullet weights maybe worth the effort. Depending on how good a friend this is, you could bed it and have the crown recut. If it still shoots poorly, then a rebarrel would be in order.
If you are ok with keeping it, I'd get it rebarreled to something you are lacking

Last edited:
I was shooting 100 grain bullets. It is stamped 6mmRem on the barrel.
100gr bullets might not be fully stabilizing in that barrel but most 6mm Rem ammo is 100gr.
Did you go over the usual check list? Scope bases tight? Front base screw to long hitting barrel threads?Rings tight? Action screws right? Proven scope on it?
Does the barrel appear rusted or damaged?

Last edited:
Already added my .02 but here's a little more about what you're seeing at the range. I doubt that trying different bullet weights would be any more than wasting time and money. It should be able to stabilize any bullet weight of appropriate caliber better than 5-6" groups. My opinion is it's a problem well beyond the ammo it's being fed. And I don't recall if you said, but I'd assume your friend had tried that before pronouncing it dead and basically giving it away.

His uncles tried shooting it and it was junk for them. It has been passed around the family and no one wants it because it isn't accurate.

Maybe take it to a good gunsmith and have them give it a once over. That would be a sweet rifle if you can get it to shoot.

His uncles tried shooting it and it was junk for them. It has been passed around the family and no one wants it because it isn't accurate.
If it’s been passed around the family and your buddy said to keep it then I think if I was in your situation I would keep it. Since your into it $0 there are a few options but a cheap way to go would be to buy a factory takeoff barrel in a short action .473 bolt face caliber of your liking and remove the 6mm barrel and screw it on. Usually a factory takeoff headspaces fine but the stamping might not line up. If you can get the recoil lug that goes with the barrel even better. Have a gunsmith check headspace for you also.
If you want to spend some more money a simple rebarrel would be easy also.

You didn't mention anything about the optics on the rifle. Could be a cheapo scope that doesn't hold adjustment or loose rings or mounts.
Could be the rifle just doesn't like that particular ammo.

Seems like there would be a fixable problem if the inaccuracy is the pronounced, dinged up muzzle or something, but of the options you laid out I'd go #3. I've built 2 guns off a Rem 700 receiver using RemAge barrels and its actually not that complicated, but also very rewarding. You could turn that rifle into whatever short action you'd like with a fairly minimal collection of tools and a couple hours of YouTube videos.

Or here's a 4th option: send it to me. 😁
Best option right here..

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back