MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What to do with $3,600 Swarovski credit?

Mountain Man

I was very fortunate to win the RMBS Swarovski raffle! The prize is a 10x42 EL Range or trade for something of equivalent or lesser value.

I have an old 10x42 EL that is the model just before they released the HD version. They have treated me very well. I also have a Leupold GR 15-30X50MM COMPACT spotting scope that I have yet to use.

I do not currently regularly use spotting scopes, but plan to in the future (3 plus years from now). I’m debating between going with a spotting scope or either the new 10x42 or 12x42 NL Pure binoculars.

My question to the optics experts out there: what should I do with an approximate $3,600 credit to Swarovski?

Not an optics expert, but have some experience so let's start there. What kind of hunting do you do? Out west, long distance? I started my unfortunate optics journey with a swaro 12x50ELs because I couldn't afford the spotter and the binos(I probably still can't afford it =). I say unfortunate because good optics are not cheap. I later decided/was able to afford the 95mm with BTX setup after much deliberation, my world changed. Literally was like night and day between the binos and a top end spotter. I could pick out animals I wouldn't have known existed before, both close and far. I can sit behind the BTXs all day without strain, and do so for weeks on end every year. My buddy prefers the Kowa setup/colors vs the swaro. My eyes strain with his setup, but EVERYONE prefers one thing to another.

My 2 cents since your 3+ years out, get the 12x42 NLs, wait for new tech/prices to come down with the BTX setup if that's your thing. Used 12x42 NL prices have come back down to some reality recently.

Most importantly, get behind everything and figure out what works best with your eyes, not everyone is the same.

If you still are not sure what to do, I'd gladly take the credit off of your hands to relive you of tough choice you are facing! 🙂

Good luck

What kind of hunting do you do the most of now (species and state or general area of the country) and what hunt are you planning on three years from now?

Very good questions that highlight I was remiss in clearly explaining my needs.

I grew up in NW Colorado hunting deer, elk, and pronghorn. I have been in the military for the past 18 years and plan to move back there in 2024. Growing up my dad never used spotting scopes so I only learned to use 10x42 binoculars and to move to find game. We never glassed from one place for very long before moving to the next vantage point.

I have been applying for points across multiple states for a number of years now. Who knows if they will actually mean anything in the future, but my plan is to hunt for multiple species across multiple states and I would be new to the areas each time.

I just bought my first tripod. Still trying to decide between the Outdoorsman Pan Head and Sirui VA-5. Leaning towards the Outdoorsman setup.

So yeah, my comfort zone is binoculars and the NL Pure options are very attractive to me. My current reasoning is that I can cut my teeth on less expensive spotting scopes while enjoying the constant use of the NL binoculars in more frequent situations.

Last edited:
You need to consider how much you use a spotting scope and how much you use binoculars. It would be an easy decision and I would suspect you would use the binoculars much more, so consider which model and get it.

Very good questions that highlight I was remiss in clearly explaining my needs.

I grew up in NW Colorado hunting deer, elk, and pronghorn. I have been in the military for the past 18 years and plan to move back there in 2024. Growing up my dad never used spotting scopes so I only learned to use 10x42 binoculars and to move to find game. We never glassed from one place for very long before moving to the next vantage point.

I have been applying for points across multiple states for a number of years now. Who knows if they will actually mean anything in the future, but my plan is to hunt for multiple species across multiple states and I would be new to the areas each time.

I just bought my first tripod. Still trying to decide between the Outdoorsman Pan Head and Sirui VA-5. Leaning towards the Outdoorsman setup.

So yeah, my comfort zone is binoculars and the NL Pure options are very attractive to me. My current reasoning is that I can cut my teeth on less expensive spotting scopes while enjoying the constant use of the NL binoculars in more frequent situations.
I am sure the 12x NL Pures, with a headrest, would be really amazing on a tripod for a lot of glassing situations.

If you already have 10x EL’s (great binos) I would get a spotter unless you are comfortable free handing 12’s, which I am not. Everyone is different though. The low power Leopold spotter you have is likely a slight advantage over those EL’s if they are on a tripod. I have 10x Noctivids and a 12-40 gold ring spotter and it’s rare the spotter offers significant extra detail, a higher power swaro or Zeiss spotter is on my list! Congrats on the first world problem, can’t go wrong with top end glass!

If you already have 10x EL’s (great binos) I would get a spotter unless you are comfortable free handing 12’s, which I am not. Everyone is different though. The low power Leopold spotter you have is likely a slight advantage over those EL’s if they are on a tripod. I have 10x Noctivids and a 12-40 gold ring spotter and it’s rare the spotter offers significant extra detail, a higher power swaro or Zeiss spotter is on my list! Congrats on the first world problem, can’t go wrong with top end glass!
I hold a slight reservation about the steadiness of the 12s while off hand, but a lot of people have commented on how the forehead rest and ergonomics make these specific 12s easier to handle. I hear you regarding the minimal increase of my small spotting scope. I won it in a raffle as well at an RMEF banquet. It is still in the box. I will likely try and sell it along with my old ELs to buy a bigger spotting scope in a few years.

Thank you for the advice and different perspectives. I decided to go with the 12x42 NL Pures and will figure out a spotting scope setup a few years down the road. I debated hard between the 10 and 12 power NLs but the 12s eventually won out. I figured it was low risk because if I for some reason do not like them after using them, I can sell them and get the 10s. If I start with the 10s I would never get to try the 12s. My hunch is that I will love the 12s and they will not be going anywhere anytime soon. Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice and different perspectives. I decided to go with the 12x42 NL Pures and figure out a spotting scope setup a few years down the road. I debated hard between the 10 and 12 power NLs but the 12s eventually won out. I figured it was low risk because if I for some reason do not like them after using them, I can sell them and get the 10s. If I start with the 10s I would never get to try the 12s. My hunch is that I will love the 12s and they will not be going anywhere anytime soon. Thanks again for the help.
I’d like a steadiness report later about the 12s. They’re on my possible list.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back