Yeti GOBOX Collection

What to ask

RyeGuy74

What kind of questions do y'all ask when you meet the breeder and his/her's dogs?

To me, my eyes are a big part of the story. Are the kennels clean, are the dogs given enough space, how many breeding dogs are they trying to manage, is there a space for the breeding dogs to get exercise, how do the breeding dogs look? I watch how they interact with the dogs.

I also ask about how many litters they allow per female in a lifetime and how frequent these breedings occur. I ask how often the dogs get outside and what do they do when they are out there.

I ask about what features/traits they breed for BEFORE I tell them what I am looking for. I ask for referrals. I ask about how the post birthing to taking home process works. I ask about the pedigrees of the parents. I ask about the features/trait of the parents in demeanor and in the field.

Lot's more, but these are the ones that come to mind.

Last edited:
If the puppies are already born, I want them let out and I want to see what they do. I have had bird dogs and I always want to see the puppies and notice which ones put their nose to the ground in a new area.
I also ask the standard health, trait, character questions but I let the eye test do most of the work as well.

I look at the pedigrees and ask questions on how the breeder is using their dogs: trialing, hunting, etc. I've been surprised by breeders who don't even hunt their dogs.

Health and care of the dogs/puppies is another big one to look at closely.

In my experience all the puppies are good or all are bad, barring some individualized health problem.

I’ve never gotten a pup when I couldn’t see the sire or dam work.I agree with all the responses that you’ve gotten so far

Always look for a clause in the contract about what happens to the puppy should you need to give it up. A good caring breeder will guarantee to take the puppy back and actually my own contract (I'm a breeder) reads "under no circumstance is it allowed to transfer ownership of the dog to another person or shelter. Any transfer of ownership needs prior approval from <our name>. We will always and gladly take the dog back before It is placed in a shelter." we just have too much pride and care for our litters to see something bad happen to one of them.

I went to a hound hunter who bred some tough Plotts he ran lions and bears with in Idaho. Maybe he heard me coming down the road but when I arrived the litter of puppies had a housecat treed on the front porch. That told me a whole lot right there...

I’m waiting on my first drauhthaar to be born it’s supposed to be this fall with a draut I looked at the parents scores and testing and asked about the temperament and drive of the parents and looked at reviews from previous people who had purchased dogs from them and looked at the pedigree and since I went with a Breeder out of state I asked for videos and pics of the parents

I went to a hound hunter who bred some tough Plotts he ran lions and bears with in Idaho. Maybe he heard me coming down the road but when I arrived the litter of puppies had a housecat treed on the front porch. That told me a whole lot right there...
Ya that would tell me I don't want one, I don't run house cats and don't want my dogs to.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back