What States Have You Hunted

There is a principle in micro economics... which I can't remember right now. That states something to the effect of; the top 20% of users of a product are responsible for 70% of total sales. So your bottom users is buy a car/bike/wine/guns/comic books/etc once in a while, but your power users are buying a ridiculous amount. Think Jerry Seinfeld and cars, your average american spends probably 100-200k on cars in their lifetime... he probably has spent north of 200 million.

People who join hunting forums are probably in the top 1% of hunting license users. So essentially you are seeing an incredibly distorted view of normal hunting license buying patterns.

Hell I bet 99% of the residents hunters in the state of Montana don't know that nonresidents have to draw a tag.

I get that, but I’d be willing to bet there are a lot more hunters that hunt multiple states regularly than there used to be, and fewer average Joe license buyers that just go out for a weekend. Maybe I’m wrong.

I get that, but I’d be willing to bet there are a lot more hunters that hunt multiple states regularly than there used to be, and fewer average Joe license buyers that just go out for a weekend. Maybe I’m wrong.

I agree that there are probably more... but I bet the percentage is still <5% and of those I doubt there are more than 1000-2000 people who hunt elk tags in multiple states a year.

Honestly, in real life and not counting RMBS, RMEF, etc meetings I've never met a Colorado resident who has hunted elk in another state.

Guess I am one of the outliers here. I have lived in MT all my life and have only hunted in state. I have the opportunity to hunt way more than I have time for here. Other than maybe going to Alaska or Canada I have never really had a huge desire to go out of state. Oh yeah and maybe coues deer. The thought of going somewhere warm to hunt when it is freezing azz cold here appeals to me a bit.

These are states I bowhunted and or ran hounds in

Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Connecticut
New York
Ohio
Illinois
Kentucky
Wisconsin
Iowa
Kansas
South Dakota
Montana
Idaho
Wyoming
Colorado
Arizona
Utah
New Mexico
Texas
Alaska
New Brunswick
Quebec
New Foundland
Ontario
Manitoba
British Columbia
Mexico

This year i will be hunting four states providing I dont hunt in NY, which I would rather not do..
Colorado, New foundland, Iowa and Arizona.

Last edited:
I started hunting approx 75 years ago in the great state of Arizona . I remember my husband once said we had hunted in 42 states, but some of that was only bird hunting. For sentimental reasons I would pick Arizona as my favorite state to hunt, but Alaska offers so much, species, beauty, especially if your a resident. We were able to hunt 6 continents.

For those who have hunted a large number of locations, congratulations, but I would also say to those who have not hunted many, that is o.k. as well. Quality of your time hunting is more important than quantity, especially, just for the sake of quantity. I would prefer a bird hunt out of my back door in Arizona with my grandchildren, than a hunt in Africa, alone.

I hope each and everyone of you enjoy your next hunt, whether it is many miles form home or 10 minutes away from home.

I know many speak of big game hunting, but time in the field with a good dog, hunting your favorite bird ( upland or waterfowl ) are enjoyable hunts

I started hunting approx 75 years ago in the great state of Arizona . I remember my husband once said we had hunted in 42 states, but some of that was only bird hunting. For sentimental reasons I would pick Arizona as my favorite state to hunt, but Alaska offers so much, species, beauty, especially if your a resident. We were able to hunt 6 continents.

For those who have hunted a large number of locations, congratulations, but I would also say to those who have not hunted many, that is o.k. as well. Quality of your time hunting is more important than quantity, especially, just for the sake of quantity. I would prefer a bird hunt out of my back door in Arizona with my grandchildren, than a hunt in Africa, alone.

I hope each and everyone of you enjoy your next hunt, whether it is many miles form home or 10 minutes away from home.

I know many speak of big game hunting, but time in the field with a good dog, hunting your favorite bird ( upland or waterfowl ) are enjoyable hunts

Thanks for the comments. I actually find enough quality hunting close to home that I am not motivated to pay nonresident rates to hunt elsewhere. Plus I am primarily after the meat to start with.

Alaska (caribou)
Montana (Everything)

I have been thinking about getting out of my comfort zone and applying to some surrounding states Idaho, Wyoming, North Dakota.

It is amazing that so many people on here have hunted so many places.

Holy crap some of you fellas are seasoned!

PA
NY
ND
MT
ID
Excited to add Arizona this January!
Idaho is probably my favorite because of the many species to hunt, liberal seasons, and diverse landscapes it has across the state.

Now if you asked how many states have you golfed in I might be on par 🤣 with the great wanderers on here.

Just Colorado and Wyoming. Only two either sex deer tags in Wyoming as a youth. My home state is cheap, comparatively, and makes it easy to be a weekend warrior with limited time off of work.

I’m pretty far below average in this group:

IA
MO
NE
WY
NM

Some of you guys have hunted more states than I’ve been to!

People who join hunting forums are probably in the top 1% of hunting license users. So essentially you are seeing an incredibly distorted view of normal hunting license buying patterns.
I agree with that, if you exclude all the members with one post and "Any advice is appreciated....not looking for anyone's honey holes."

I've met tons of hunters, but have never met anyone in person who has hunted more than two states in one year, or has purchased more than five tags in a year.

"I've met tons of hunters, but have never met anyone in person who has hunted more than two states in one year, or has purchased more than five tags in a year".

Hell. I hunt one state exclusively and purchase more than five tags EVERY year as well as get told annually by numerous hunters I know and/or meet about the multiple states they either will hunt or did that year.
You and I must run in very different circles.

You and I must run in very different circles.
Hence why I joined HT as soon as I became aware of it :D Thoroughly enjoy interacting with and getting to know other "power users" as wllm1313 put it, that is, other people who routinely travel to hunt and/or buy a stack of tags every year like I do.

These are states I bowhunted and or ran hounds in

Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Connecticut
New York
Ohio
Illinois
Kentucky
Wisconsin
Iowa
Kansas
South Dakota
Montana
Idaho
Wyoming
Colorado
Arizona
Utah
New Mexico
Texas
Alaska
New Brunswick
Quebec
New Foundland
Ontario
Manitoba
British Columbia
Mexico

This year i will be hunting four states providing I dont hunt in NY, which I would rather not do..
Colorado, New foundland, Iowa and Arizona.
You must be hunting the southern tier where you stand shoulder to shoulder with hunters in the woods. Come on up with me and I will show you the wilderness!

What states have you hunted and do you have a favorite?

I’ve hunted Alabama (home state), Georgia, and Virginia for whitetail. Colorado for elk. I don’t think I have a favorite, I just like to hunt.

NC, CA, WY, WA, Canada and MT... Include AZ for a one time dove "hunt". Been invited to ID a few times though scheduling has not worked. I'd like to hunt AK caribou.
Favorite? They've all been enjoyable. If to pick... WY. It's more the adventure that brings the thrill factor vs the game killed.
Family absorbs my annual leave and limited mostly to resident hunting. I sneak in hunting when able.

"I've met tons of hunters, but have never met anyone in person who has hunted more than two states in one year, or has purchased more than five tags in a year."
Most hunters I know are content to hunt their home state, and really don't have either the desire, monetary means or vacation time to travel to hunt. They like to talk about going somewhere on a hunt, but it rarely goes beyond that. Until I started attending wildlife banquets and BHA events I hadn't met too many people that hunted outside of their home state either.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back