Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What states can a 10 Y/O hunt in for BIG GAME ?

Moosie

Grand poopa
Idaho you can hunt Birds at age 10. Turkey, Ducks, geese, etc. But I'm wanting to know about deer, elk, Yetti, whatever :D :D

I know NM and AZ you can, how about in your state ?

Moosie, will double check this for you, but think illinois is age 10 with a hunters safety card and a parent. if not 10, then its 12. let you know as I have a place for you to take little "O" here in illinois. southern illinois, 80 private acres, and thousands of shawnee forest acres. this is what you might see.......

Attachments

• 01Dec07.jpg
    01Dec07.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 28Nov07.jpg
    28Nov07.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 192
  • turkey2.jpg
    turkey2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 193
OK, so Alaska has a few goofy rules.

First, they have to have taken a hunter safety course (duh!).

Second, a hunter under 10 years old may hunt with a tag/harvest ticket holder who is over 16, BUT, anything they kill will go against the older person's bag limit. (So if your 9 year old kills a moose, you use your harvest ticket and you can't shoot one for yourself.)

If they are 10 years or older, they can get their own tag/harvest ticket and have their own bag limit, but again, must be hunting with someone over 16. The exception here is, if it is a PERMIT area, than the youth has to hunt using the older person's permit, no matter what their age.

A youth under 16, does NOT need a license. But, that is only for RESIDENT youth hunters. If you are a non-resident, all youth hunters, regardless of age, must buy a license. The same rules about tags/harvest tickets/permits apply.

Washinton state doesn't have an age limit as long as you have passed hunter safety. They have quite a few youth deer tags, mostly antlerless but some are any deer.

Moosie, just what I thought. anyone under the age of 16 must have either passed a hunters safety class, or show a previous years hunting license. DUH!!! what can I say, a democrat runs this state.......:BLEEP:

Moosie, just what I thought. anyone under the age of 16 must have either passed a hunters safety class, or show a previous years hunting license. DUH!!! what can I say, a democrat runs this state.......:BLEEP:

I am scratching my head, what is the problem with the system you have?:confused:

Moosie you might look into oregon I think they started a youth program this year. I am not sure about the specifics but I am pretty sure youth can start hunting big game as early as nine years old.

mtmiller, if you don't have the card, you can't get the license. but you can't get a license unless you have passed the hunters safety course. kinda circular thinking there? if you lived in this state, you would understand my disdain for the governor. $500 hunting licenses. register ALL ammunition. if you have old ammunition, you can't register it, but you can't use it either. and if you get caught with it, you get arrested. going to stop crime he says. and some more "brilliant" thinking. in illinois, you have to have a Firearm Owner ID card to carry a gun. now if you are under the age of 16 or 18, you can get one IF your parents sign the form. but then the state will gridlock it since you aren't 16 or 18. just some of the things he wants to try and shove thru the legislature here. and of course, lets not forget the way he tried to get the state to pay for chicagos mass transit system. yep, them hillbillies down by the farm really liked that one. and don't forget, this is the state that gave you barrack......humphump

I'm still confused like miller....so if you are under 16, you have to attend a hunter safety course to get a card. Then, with that card, you can get a license? That sounds pretty straight forward to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

guppie, think you 2 missed the part about you can either show your hunter safety card OR a previous years license. which you can't get without the hunters safety card. not saying its a bad thing, just worded rather strangely to me. and I know why they do it the way they do. when you take the class, they give you a paper card showing you passed the class. how many people will remember where they put it? thats why they say it the way they do. but when you are talking about a first time hunter, then its strange to me.

now, with that being said, guppie, do you know how to post pictures from emails on here? got some for the jokes, adult section, but have no idea how to do it. let me know, and I'll email it to you if you want to try it. if you have your email on here that is. Thanks, Todd

TLC- I think most states have gone to that type of system, as far as having the hunter's ed card to get a license. I guess I don't see the downside... :confused: However what I do think is funny is that in UT it costs more to get you a hunter's ed card reissued than it does to take the class.

now, with that being said, guppie, do you know how to post pictures from emails on here? got some for the jokes, adult section, but have no idea how to do it. let me know, and I'll email it to you if you want to try it. if you have your email on here that is. Thanks, Todd

You need to save the picture from your email to your own computer. Than follow these directions:

http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30368

Tyler, you mentioned you have to pay for attending the hunters ed class in UT. Is this the norm for other states? I know it was offered free when I took it in SD years ago. What say you Oscar?

BTW TLC, I still have my card. There are still some states that require me to carry it or require the number before I can apply for tags.

Arizona is 10, if you have Hunters Ed. We have 12 species or sub-species of big game here, good luck getting Little O his tags, JLG.

SD just passed a law that will allow 10-15 year olds to hunt for FREE. The only thing that is wrong with this is that an UNARMED adult has to be with them so it kinds defeats the purpose of being able to hunt with your kids but it is a step in the right direction. I know my 10 year old is very excited.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back