What State?

StrutNut

A buddy an I are looking for a 2 week OYOA next fall. We are looking for an opportunity to possibly hunt both mulies and elk. Not looking for trophies in either. We are more meat hunters then trophy hunters. My buddy does not want (actually his wife wont allow) him to be in an area with the Griz. This will be an Archery hunt. We have equipment and both of us have bow hunted elk in CO which is our backup plan if we cant find a good opportunity for both elk and mulies. Neither one of us have shot a mule deer and I am the only one to have shot an elk. Rag horns are fine by both of us. I would take another cow and I am sure he would take a cow as well. Neither one of us have hunted west anywhere but CO.

co would be the easiest for OTC but put in for some draws as a perty in other states. as for both youll have to find out which run concurrent Id is another option Griz can be dangerous but so canany other hunt , with different problems good luck

ID and MT are on the radar as I understand there are regions that can provide us with opportunities for both mulies and elk and have a limited chance of grizz encounter. There are a few other states that I am considering putting in for draw but with limited funds I will likely only be able to choose one and go for it. It is hard to save up vacation time and funds so it will likely be another few years before we can get out there again. Some of the areas we were interested in got hit hard by last winters snow. We pushed our hunt back a year as we were originally going to go to CO this year but was strongly encouraged to hold back a year or more. From what I understand there was a lot of pressure this season and not a lot of luck.

Colorado has the highest elk numbers, great mule deer hunting, otc elk tags to go with wherever you draw your mule deer tags, and no grizzlies. What more could you ask for?

I'd pick montana if it was me planning the trip.The new draw they're having should make it real easy to draw a general tag again this year

Mule deer in CO are draw only and most areas take a couple points for non residents

Aren't most archery tags zero points?

I'd tell your buddy to look for a new wife... won't let him go? ;) The odds of getting in a car wreck on the drive there are about 100 times higher than getting chewed on.

CO or WY would be my first pick.

Alot of the archery tags are zero points, but the really good units take a point or two. I was thinking rifle when I mentioned points...sorry

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back