Caribou Gear

What specifically do you like about

MarlandS

Kerry's environmental policy?
Specifics now , not Bush did this or Bush did that.
Show me what a REAL Sportsman knows about Kerry.
Oh and also tell me how he's going to implement it.

Here's his environmental plan. I like all of it. Implementing it will be by all the usual methods, I suppose-----laws, regulations, Presidential edicts. It's a little early to answer exactly how he'd go about implementing those ideas. He's probably use all the same methods Dubya is using.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John Kerry has outlined a six-point plan for restoring America’s environmental values, while making American businesses stronger:

1. A new and permanent commitment to "Green and Clean Communities."

John Kerry believes that by giving attention to the environmental needs of our communities, we will improve the economic vitality and quality of life of the places where we live and work. He will fight for “Green and Clean Communities” by removing the threat of toxics from our communities, reinvigorating the Superfund cleanup program, improving our parks, and taking on traffic congestion and sprawl. John Kerry will:

Leverage Superfund cleanup dollars to assist communities that are disproportionately impacted by contaminated sites, increasing the program’s focus on former manufacturing sites that are blighting our communities and blocking economic development by creating Environmental Empowerment Zones where federal cleanup dollars will be spent on a priority basis;
Create a Toxics Task Force at EPA that will identify the top toxics threats to our citizens and develop an action plan to address them;
Work with states and local communities to redirect federal funding to ball fields and parks, with the goal of ensuring that every American child has access to a clean and safe neighborhood ball field or park; and
Coordinate federal transportation policies, federal housing incentives, federal employment opportunities, and the use of federal dollars to acquire parks and open space to help local communities deal with traffic congestion and sprawl that are threatening economic prosperity and diminishing our quality of life.
2. A new “Conservation Covenant” with America to protect and restore our nation’s Parks, lands, and other treasures for the benefit of future generations.

John Kerry will enter into a “Conservation Covenant” with the American people to tread lightly on the public lands and preserve America’s treasures for our children, and their children. To implement the Conservation Covenant, John Kerry will:

Reinvest royalties obtained from extracting resources from public lands back into protecting our lands and special places;
Require that before remote public lands are opened up to new resource development, the federal government evaluate the long-term economic and environmental costs associated with such actions;
Put new teeth into requirements that private companies and individuals who lease public lands return the land to its original state after completing energy development, grazing, or timber operations;
Reinstate the protection of roadless areas in our National Forests, and presumptively ban logging in our rare, old growth forests;
Honor the solitude and beauty of wilderness areas and our National Parks by keeping snowmobiles and jet skis out of Yellowstone and other sensitive areas, and by honestly addressing visitor and wildlife needs in our National Parks;
Celebrate the biodiversity of our nation, and implement the Endangered Species Act in a cooperative manner that extends the benefits of wildlife and habitat protection to public and private lands; and
Modernize our mining laws and provide a fair return to the American people for mining operations on public lands.
3. Protecting our Health by Reducing Dangerous Air Emissions.

As President, John Kerry will immediately reverse the Bush-Cheney rollbacks of our nation’s Clean Air laws. Kerry will also address the key connection between air pollution and public health. He will take bold steps to protect the health of all Americans – particularly our most vulnerable seniors and children -- by:

Plugging the loopholes and vigorously enforcing our Clean Air laws;
Adopting an aggressive program to meet ozone and particulate air quality standards, stop acid rain and reduce mercury emissions;
Addressing global warming emissions through a combination of innovative programs that drive technology change and create jobs; and
Improving indoor air quality.
4. A new “Restoring America’s Waters” Campaign.

Our nation has fallen far short of the Clean Water Act’s goal of making our waters “drinkable, swimable and fishable.” Many of our nation’s waters are polluted; we can no longer be assured of an abundant supply of clean water. Meanwhile, watersheds continue to be degraded by the loss of wetlands, by excessive erosion, and uncontrolled runoff from feedlots to timber operations.

John Kerry will lead a “Restoring America’s Waters” Campaign to clean up our nation’s waters, protect communities’ fresh water supplies, and help communities reclaim their riverfronts and lake-fronts as new centers of economic growth. His Campaign will:

Work with states and cities to tackle the toughest water quality challenges that threaten sensitive rivers, lakes, bays, and estuaries: stormwater run-off and sewer overflows, and pollution from factory farms;
Encourage the efficient use of water in industrial, urban and farming operations through broader public disclosure of water use and the use of incentives to promote water efficiency;
Restore damaged wetlands and watersheds by vigorously enforcing the Clean Water Act;
Coordinate federal, state and local investments in American’s riverfronts, lakefronts and coastal communities and reinforcing the ties that many communities have to their waterfronts; and
Work to restore the depleted fisheries in our coastal areas and give renewed attention to the health of our oceans.
5. Reasserting American leadership in the international community to tackle climate change and other key global environmental challenges.

John Kerry understands that some of our most serious environmental challenges – and opportunities – are taking place on an international stage and that they require American leadership in the international community. Unlike the Bush Administration, John Kerry will not abdicate this responsibility and opportunity. He will:

Reengage in the development of an international climate change strategy that will address the worldwide problem of global warming, and identify workable responses that provide opportunities for American technology and know-how;
Meet new challenges associated with the global exploitation of marine resources;
Provide leadership in protecting fragile ecosystems that provide unique contributions to our world’s climate and biodiversity; and
Work with the international community to address the global crisis of access to fresh water supplies.
6. A new energy economy that will reassert American energy independence and power job growth and environmental improvement.

The Bush Administration has pursued a destructive energy policy. Developed in secrecy in coordination with Bush/Cheney friends in the oil and gas industry, the Administration is pushing for more tax breaks for the oil and gas industry and for drilling for oil and gas in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and the Rocky Mountain Front, on the false promise that by “Drilling America First” we can shake our dependence on Middle East oil.

John Kerry will not take our country down this dead-end path. Our nation’s oil reserves are small; we cannot drill ourselves to energy independence. The Bush Administration’s headlong rush to open up pristine areas for oil and gas drilling is a foolhardy and environmentally destructive response to a much more serious energy policy challenge.

John Kerry recognizes the interplay between energy and environmental needs. He will take the country in new energy directions that would help the economy and the environment. John Kerry will:

Establish a national commitment to reduce dependence on Middle East oil through a new Energy Security and Conservation Trust;
Reduce oil dependence by increasing fuel efficiency now and create new incentives to make sure American industries lead the way; and
Assure that 20 percent of electricity comes from renewable sources by 2020.

One the surface I like how it sounds.
Who doesnt want clean air & water,protection for our forests and wetlands!!!

KERRY: Wrong on the Environment

"John Kerry missed the vote on Healthy Forests legislation and denounces the bill as a “giveaway to big timber companies.” Healthy Forests passed Congress by overwhelming bipartisan margins. The Senate version of HFRA passed on October 30, 2003 by a vote of 80 to 14, garnering 30 Democrats in support. The House version passed on May 20, 2003 by a vote of 256 to 170, with 42 Democrats voting in favor.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) characterized Healthy Forests legislation this way: “This legislation is not a logging bill, as some would typify it--I think falsely. This legislation would allow the brush to be cleaned out and it would also provide the first statutory protection for old-growth stands and large trees ever in the history of this Nation. I have heard people fault it, saying it is not this and it is not that--but it is, and no one has submitted legislation prior to our doing so in this particular area.”

John Kerry says he supports renewable energy but refuses to take a position on a proposed wind farm near Cape Cod, Massachusetts. “Five miles off the coast of Cape Cod lies an inexhaustible source of energy. By harnessing this wind energy, we can meet three-quarters of the power needs of the Cape, protect our environment, and secure our future.” [Cape Wind Associates Website] “I don’t think it is appropriate for me (to weigh in). I think it is most appropriate thing to do is listen to the people of on the Cape, listen to the people who have concerns, weigh the arguments,” Kerry said. [Kevin Landrigan, “Kerry Offers Ways to Fight Pollution, The Telegraph [Nashua, N.H.] 4/23/03]

John Kerry criticizes President Bush for rejecting the Kyoto Treaty, suggesting that the U.S. should ratify it. According to Wharton Econometric Forecasting Associates, the Kyoto Protocol would destroy 2.4 million jobs and cost the U.S. economy $400 billion annually. Dr. James Hansen of NASA has found that Kyoto would have an insignificant impact on global climate.

John Kerry opposes President Bush’s environmentally responsible reforms to the burdensome New Source Review program (NSR). New Source Review reform is supported by mayors, governors, unions, and officials from state and local governments. According to Howard Gruenspecht of Resources for the Future: “Environmentalists are crying foul, saying that the Clean Air Act's New Source Review program is the cornerstone of meaningful environmental regulation. But these critics are wrong on their own terms. The New Source Review retards environmental progress and wastes resources. To assure sustainable environmental progress, NSR should be replaced with effective and efficient policies.” (“A Level Playing Field on Pollution at Power Plants,” by Howard Gruensphecht and Robert Stavins, January 26, 2002 in the Boston Globe)

"He's probably use all the same methods Dubya is using."?????????

Wednesday, July 14, 2004
U.S. Rep. McInnis To Kerry/Edwards: Where Have You Been?

["“Kerry/Edwards Forest Plan is Simply Political Pandering to the West”

Washington, DC – U.S. Rep Scott McInnis, author of the bipartisan Healthy Forests Restoration Act, issued the following statement regarding the Kerry/Edwards forest plan announced today:

“The announcement of a new forest plan by the Kerry/Edwards campaign for the west’s ailing forests is embarrassingly late and offers little if any new and constructive ideas to address the growing wildfire crisis.

“This sudden introduction of a forest management plan, said McInnis, should not be interpreted as a commitment to the health of our forests but rather seen for what it is: A year late and a dollar short. It is simply a veiled attempt to build support among western voters who have many reasons to question Kerry’s and Edwards’ commitment to the region’s values.

“Somehow Senators Kerry and Edwards have managed to sleep through the last several years of dialogue and achievement in the area of community wildfire protection. Their plan proposes forest management methods that are essentially already in place, first incorporated in the National Fire Plan in 2002 and culminating with the passage of the Healthy Forests Act last year; a bill that Kerry and Edwards vehemently opposed. Either they want credit for years of work that’s already been done, or they don’t know it occurred. Either way this reflects poorly on their forest and environmental credentials.

“While much work still needs to be done, significant progress has been made, particularly in the areas proposed in the Kerry/Edwards forest plan---which begs the question: Where was Kerry and Edwards? Where was their concern for the west when we debated this on the House and Senate floors? It took months of negotiations and considerable support from many of Mr. Kerry’s and Edwards’ Democratic colleagues to address this crisis. I can tell you as the act’s author, I could have used their support for the bills provisions, while pushing it through the Congress.

“By offering up a hollow shell of my Healthy Forests Restoration Act, Kerry and Edwards are trying to play both ends against the middle. First, their plan is an attempt to revert to the days of excessive environmental studies and frivolous litigation which prevents addressing hazardous fire conditions until it’s too late. At the same time, the plan also panders to western voters who clearly want action taken for the protection of their homes and families.

“The fact is when the west needed their votes and support most, they simply were not there. This is political pandering at its finest, and I doubt that many western voters are going to take a proposal seriously from two senators whose major western forests experience comes from their Gulfstreams at 30,000 feet.” "]

MD4ME,

You want to hear a good joke?

Bush's healthy forest initiave/act.

Its a decent idea...but too bad there isnt even close to enough appropriated money to begin even a single project.

Last I heard, from within the agency, not a penny had hit the ground...thusly making absolutely no forest on any NF lands "healthy".

Take a look around, you see many "healthy" forests created by Bush's initiative? I sure dont.

Buzz,
That is true however the question is what specifically do you like about Kerry's environmental policy.

Given all the other major issues of the campaign if we could ignore those and focus on the environment. What would the U.S. environmental policy look like under a Kerry Administration and why would you support that?

I can't imagine he will be against big oil or more CBM drilling, He also can't win the fight with oil cos. regarding alternate energy sources.

Maybe he will make more national Monuments like Clinton did. That could be a good thing. I read his "policy" statements and don't find anything in there that isn't designed to be a good twenty second sound bite. I just cannot and do not believe that what he is saying is what will happen.

Nemont

Nemont, it isnt as simple as what Kerry will do, but rather how receptive he is of input from the public and congress. You also have to consider the other areas he has power, like appointing the FS chief, BLM director, etc. etc. etc. as well as judgicial appointments. Its not just a matter of what he personally proposes, although that is a big part.

I'd guess that on nearly any environmental issue, a person would have more chance of Kerry endorsing it than Bush. Plus, I believe Kerry would be more likely to listen to reasonable arguments on envir. issues. The track record of Bush pretty much assures me that he doesnt give a rip about the environment, he does however, support oil and gas interests.

What kind of president would endorse mining the Front in Montana? Not a real bright one, I'll tell you that.

Really, all I'm looking for is a person in the whitehouse who will let science dictate policy...yeah, I know, its a pipedream.

I agree with you on the Rocky Mountain Front. It should be placed off limits to all development. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just a nut.

So you are saying that even the environment isn't a simple issue to decide what exactly is right. Well that is my problem I cannot just vote purely on the environment but if I had I can't see that much changing with Kerry. Will he stop the CBM development in the Tongue River, I don't think so. He will have to address the energy issue if elected, how does he do that with big oil and their boat loads of cash? No president has ever stood up to them. Political suicide.

If you know of any politician in any party who has a chance of occupying the Whitehouse that would let science dictate policy give me the name.

Nemont

Here's a great place for Kerry to start improving things for hunters and fishermen. Put me and Buzz in these jobs: Secretary of Agriculture Ann M. Veneman, Interior Secretary Gale Norton

I guarantee you'd see some improvement. :D :D

Ithaca,
I don't know if you could put up with all interference from congress, locals, business interests, the public and conservation groups. If you were in those positions you might be surprised at how little power you actually have and how ever decision was second guess or amended by the political process.

Hell I already said I would write you for President, why not aim a little higher. :D :D

Nemont

Ithaca can I be in charge of border security?
soapbox.gif

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back