What size power inverter

Rooster52

What size power inverter would I need to run a small 5 cubic foot freezer?

it would need to be fair sized? when a freezer 1st turns on it pulls a lot of power then eases up,,,I would guess 10-12 amp upon initial start up..I use a 2000 watt generater for my 7 cu ft freezer in my hunt hauler.most inverters ive seen probly cant handle a freezer I would think.the good thing with a freezer is once its cold,ive found that it only needs to be on a few hrs a day to stay cold,as a game transport cooler.

I think inverters are rated in wats, so it sounds like you need a 2000 watt inverter which I think will have to be hard wired onto your battery. Truck stops often have pretty good deals but I doubt they have much warranty. Make sure you use the correct wire or else they will heat up and cause problems. Check with an rv place or someone familiar with this to double check the size needed.

You guys really take freezers into the woods and keep them running for 2-14 days with generators 24x7?

You guys really take freezers into the woods and keep them running for 2-14 days with generators 24x7?

I've never taken one but I don't think you have to keep them running 24/7. Run em for a few hours each day to cool em down they are pretty well insulated so I think they act like a big cooler once cooled down

We have taken a freezer and generator several times ,works great.First day it takes about 8 hours to freeze a deer ,then 3 hours a day keeps them froze. Was thinking of trying a inverter for on the road home.

We have taken a freezer and generator several times ,works great.First day it takes about 8 hours to freeze a deer ,then 3 hours a day keeps them froze. Was thinking of trying a inverter for on the road home.

Ah, I thought you were all just crazy...LOL, but I guess it makes sense in the cooler part of the season.

Ah, I thought you were all just crazy...LOL, but I guess it makes sense in the cooler part of the season.

Cooler part of the season? When it really makes sense is when it's hot. We've taken a chest freezer and generator the last two years when we went to Wyoming. Last year was mid- October and this year mid- September, so it was warm. Worked great. Never had to buy any ice.

freezer and gen is only way to go if you do a multi-state,multi-animal combo hunt in 1 trip like I did this year.you only need to run gen a few hrs a day once cold.this year I scored,,,got a deer in Utah and a antelope and a 5x5 bull in Colorado..7 cu ft freezer is now full to the top of deboned meat,,it just fit.perfect set up to have at the rig.a person can also store plenty of gear in it till 1st critter is down.

A generator is best if you're talking about in camp. A 500 watt inverter is more than enough to run a freezer or refrigerator and I know because that's what I used to use before I bought a bigger trailer that has a built in frig./freezer that I run off propane at camp and on the road. If you use an inverter while on the road, just shut it off when you shut the vehicle engine off and turn it back on when you are running down the road again.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back