What should I do with my cat? poll

Leave the cat at my house or take her to the parents.

• Take her to the parents

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Leave her at home

Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters
The ability to travel is one of the reasons we don't have certain types of pets/livestock. If you seriously want to travel then it's only responsible to own pets that are compatible with your lifestyle.

Do I want llamas? Yes. Would it be easy to pickup on a friday and go the beach for the weekend? No. So we don't have llamas.

My brother and his wife go on motorcycle rides usually from thanksgiving to the first part of March. They leave their bike at ma and pas while they are in Alaska working from March to thanksgiving and leave their dog and cat at ma and pas when they are motorcycling. My brother and his wife are usually upset when they return from their motorcycle trip because both the pets have gained a lot of weight. My dad doesn’t believe in only feeding them two times a day, but has them on an all you can eat buffet. The dog also is the prerinse to the dishwasher.

I don’t like or know anything about cats but your concern about the cat darting out may be a real one. My sister in law has cats. When we all go to her place and her parents are there, they cannot keep a door closed. Out to the car to grab something… door wide open. Get distracted while out there and take a 10 minute phone call… door still wide open. Not saying this is your parents, but worth considering.
I suspect sister-in-law's parents don't have pets of their own. If they did, they wouldn't be so sloppy about leaving the door open. These folks have three house dogs so they know the routine well enough. I think the baby gate idea is an excellent strategy. Perhaps traveling with the cat would have worked if initiated early in its life. It would likely require a long break in period of training at this point. Good luck.

I am not much of a cat person for this same reason ... and I hate dealing with litter boxes. If all they ate was starlings and English sparrows and didn't crap in the neighbor's garden, I wouldn't mind having one that could roam outside to do its business. But I'm not keeping one inside and dealing with that stench. And my dogs travel with me. Having all of them together in the same car for thirty hours at a time every fall ... yeah, that's not gonna work.

when you really consider how many shitty dogs exist in the world and how much more of a detriment and drain on society they are than even the worst of cats, i've just never been able to understand the social phenomenon of hating cats. it reeks of small man syndrome, frankly.

Last edited:
when you really consider how many shitty dogs exist in the world and how much more of a detriment and drain on society they are than even the worst of cats, i've just never been able to understand the social phenomenon of hating cats. it reeks of small man syndrome, frankly.
Totally small man syndrome.
1640816010912.png

View attachment 207033
This is a good point but people's Random Acts of Cat Slander are directed at people's pets just as frequently as they are to actual feral cats

If people made jokes about shooting dogs like some do about killing cats we'd have a full blown moral panic on this forum

Edit: forum not sub. Apparently thought I was on reddit for a minute

Feral cats are awful. The anti-cat jokes are fine. The receptionist at the vets office didn't like my observation that taking my cat to the Chinese restaurant would have been cheaper. *Shrug emoji

Guys taking every opportunity to let everyone know that they hate cats reminds me of middle schoolers saying "no homo" after every statement to ward off dicks magically flying into their mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, dogs are certainly more harmful to humans.

An average of approximately 19 deaths was reported annually

View attachment 207033

so because free ranging house cats and feral cats kill birds and stuff we must logically conclude that cat owners should all take their indoor house cats out back and pop a .22 in their head?

^ that's a separate issue. the social phenomenon of hating cats has nothing to do with migratory birds and everything to do with "looking and acting cool"... it makes no sense.

i'm more curious what you would prefer to do with a 4 month old child, leave it alone in a room with an unfamiliar house dog or an unfamiliar house cat?

"[Hospital] Admissions peaked during the summer months. Dogs accounted for 76.9% and cats for 19.7% of cases."

based on what dogs do to humans we should all be clamoring for people to shoot their dogs in the head, not their cat.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back