What should I do with my cat? poll

Leave the cat at my house or take her to the parents.

• Take her to the parents

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Leave her at home

Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters

DouglasR

I’m hoping to spend 2-3 months on the road this winter and I’m kinda freaking out about what to do with my cat.

Option one is leaving her at my house alone and having friends and family come over to check on her for 15-20min a day.

Option 2 is leaving her with my parents.
My parents have two English bulldogs and a yorkie that I’m kinda worried about messing with her.
I’m also kinda worried about her making a break for it out their door and the rents not putting forth a proper effort to go look for my best good friend if she gets out in the night or something.
The obvious benefit of the parents house is that she’ll get more social interaction but I’m afraid she might not like the vibe of the parents house with all the dogs.

What do you guys think?

Leaving a bored cat at home without social interaction is an invitation for a demolished house…
I’ve left her for a couple weeks at a time before with people checking on her and she’s done pretty well.
I trimmed her claws, but I’m still kinda worried about her demolishing my parents house and getting kicked out anyway.
🤷‍♂️😬

The biggest issue at the parents is them just not being ready and her darting out the door without her identity necklace on and getting lost because it not her home range.

Cats are tough as they are not quite as down for adventures.

I would imagine at your parents it you car might just get super good at hiding 🤷‍♂️

My wife and I paid to have the neighbor kid take care of our cats while we were in FL for 15 days. We specified 1 hour of socializing with the cats per day. That was done with one cat, but not the other, shy cat. The ignored cat puked and defecated all over our house due to stress.

I've dropped off cats at my in-laws several times and I've also left ours home for a week, or so at a time. I've also driven cross country with cats and slept in a tent. I think they're more adaptable than people give them credit for.

I have two rottweilers and a cat and the cat ranks right there with my dogs. I pay an older teenager to stay at my house whenever I’m gone for extended periods. The kid gets to stay in a big house for free, earn a few bucks, and they can have a girlfriend over, even take a jacuzzi every night if they want to. I have them feed, water and play with the animals every day. I don’t have to worry about bad guys seein nobody home and burglarizing my house. It’s a win-win deal. I suggest doing something similar

Last edited:
Idk man. We've left our cats alone for several multiple day stretches and they've never gotten weird on us. But multiple months is a different story. Also, having two means they are less likely to get lonely or bored and start destroying stuff and you only have one.

I think I'd start with leaving her alone with a back-up plan ready in the event that the person who checks on her starts to notice odd behavior.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back