What scope for out West on 270?

Drewd

I am working on a trip to hopefully hunt Pronghorn and/or Mule deer in MT (Billings area). I have a late 70's Rem 700 and will be updating the scope (and stock) for this trip. I have hunted whitetails in the Northeast and New Brunswick for 40+ years but have never hunted the west. The furthest I have shot a deer was 275+ yards and always just sight in 3 high at 100 and used hold over when needed. Most shots are from 30 feet to 150 yards where I hunt. Often very fast shooting but short distances. I practice at 100, 200 & 300 yards. Not sure what to expect in MT.

I checked out my friends Leopold 3.5-10x40 CDS. Seemed very nice but I really don't know. I never used a CDS before but thought it might be good if only to reset 100 yd zero at higher elevations. Would appreciate input from those with lots of experience with longer ranges for scope suggestions. Any scope ideas welcome. Please include brand and model so I can check out. Thanks!

I’ve got a Leupold VX3i 4.5x14x40 cds on my kimber mtn ascent 270. Been a good scope so far. Fairly compact and light weight.

I like a little higher magnification, I tend toward duplex reticles that go up to 12x, but my .308 has a Leupold VXii 3x9. I shot a mulie with that at 320yds a couple years ago. I'm a fan of the MPBR method, I zero my Scopes so the bullets trajectory will be no higher or lower than 3" within the distance I plan my shooting. That puts my zero around 230yds, depending on the rifle. I know they're very popular these days, but I could never see myself having much use for a CDS. I like fewer things to mess with as opposed to more, but that's just me. I would bet your current set up is very adequate, but it's also fun to try new gear. Good luck next fall.

I've got a 2.5-8x36 on my 270. Equivalent to the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm. Shot pronghorn in ND and deer near Ekalaka, MT so fits your scenario. I like the 2.5 lo-end because sometimes the deer are in the woods and shots shorter and I like the wider field of view. 8x is enough for me on the high end out to 300 yds which is about my mental limit. I prefer the 36mm objective, seems to just fit my rifle better if you know what I mean.

I've got a 2.5-8x36 on my 270. Equivalent to the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm. Shot pronghorn in ND and deer near Ekalaka, MT so fits your scenario. I like the 2.5 lo-end because sometimes the deer are in the woods and shots shorter and I like the wider field of view. 8x is enough for me on the high end out to 300 yds which is about my mental limit. I prefer the 36mm objective, seems to just fit my rifle better if you know what I mean.
Glad to hear you like this set up, just ordered that 2.5-8 for my 260 and am excited to see how it performs!

If I had a .270 I'd put a VX-3i 3.5-10 on it. I can't really justify spending more for the higher end models for my purpose and the mag range is great for 0-400 yards and can certainly go further.

3.5-10x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle would be stellar. As would a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the same reticle. The reticle works pretty slick.

Nothing wrong with a 6x36mm or 6x42mm fixed power scope either. You could order one with LR dots put in it for your load and ballistics or just go with the duplex crosshair and site in as you have. 2.5 - 2.75" high at 100 would work well.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions! Gives me lots of options to check out. It had a very old cloudy 4x redfield so I put an older but nice Nikon 3x9-50 that I had. Just cannot get the eye relief right to suit me and would need to change or reverse the bases as I cannot move this one back a bit more. Thought it a good excuse to get a newer scope with just a bit more magnification and a 40mm bell. Thinking maybe not going with the CDS as I still have trouble remembering to try my BDC marks on my newer scopes! Nice on the range but still struggling to try while hunting. Going try a Leupold this time and will start shopping around. Thanks again!

Reactions: Guy
Look at options. Meopta is a very good option, also, along with SWFA and several other brands that perform well. Don't get hung up on one brand. Do some searching for reviews on forums. You have a lot of time to decide.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Gives me lots of options to check out. It had a very old cloudy 4x redfield so I put an older but nice Nikon 3x9-50 that I had. Just cannot get the eye relief right to suit me and would need to change or reverse the bases as I cannot move this one back a bit more. Thought it a good excuse to get a newer scope with just a bit more magnification and a 40mm bell. Thinking maybe not going with the CDS as I still have trouble remembering to try my BDC marks on my newer scopes! Nice on the range but still struggling to try while hunting. Going try a Leupold this time and will start shopping around. Thanks again!

Get ahold of schmalts here on the forum for a Leupold. He runs Predator Optics and his prices can't be beat.

I will mirror the 3x9x40 suggestion. That combo is on every rifle I use to hunt big game, except an old 1949 Model 70 in .270. She wears an old Burris fixed 4x. Hitting antelope sized game at 200 isn't a problem for her ;)

A 3.5-10 or similar should be good in moderate timber country and good for any long range shots doable with a 270 Win. Many people tend to “overglass”. As we hunt in mixed terrain, most often “less is better”! With optimum shooting conditions, I feel pretty comfortable out to 600 yrds with my 3.5-10 CDS Leupold. memtb

It amaze's me the people that think they need some special rifle and scope out west. It's BS fabricated by people that like other's to think they do well to 500yds shooting! It would b very easy for me to claim a reed for one of there western super star's due to where I live and where I have lived. Looking out my front window I can see for several miles before anything get's in the way. But the longest shot I've ever taken was 330yds measured and I took it only to say I shot an animal over 300 yds. That is not hunting, that is shooting! But I think many people would much rather risk a long shot rather than a long stalk, stalking is hunting! I lived several yers in Western Montana and lot of opertunity for long shot's but I never felt the need to take them. On two of my bruiser rifles, 7mm mag and 338 mag, I had a straight 4x on the 7mm mag and a straight 2 3/4x on the 338! No more magnification was needed. Even in Western Montana it was no trick to find shot's well over 300-500 yds. But you have to look for shot's like that! I knew several guy's both in Montana and here that hunted with old lever action 30-30's! The need for all that rifle and all that scope is so over played it is ridicules! I have several 3-9x scopes these days, they are easy to find! I've never used a power over 6x shooting at anything including target's. My elk rifle is a 30-06 and it has a very old 2 3/4x scope on it, it has never cost me a shot! These days I do have a couple 2-7x scopes and like them better than my 3-9x scopes. Have one 4 1/2-14x scope, it's on a varmint rifle! A sage rat at 200 yds is much harder to see than an elk at 500 yds!

For many decades, I used a fixed 4x Redfield on a Remington 700 in .270Win. That combo served my needs for everything from a whitetail at 30 feet to a Caribou at 450 yards. A few years ago, it was noticeable that my scope was cloudier than my son's or brother's. So,, I got a Leupold FXIII 6x42. The improvement is startling. I might regret the 6 power at 20 yards in the timber,,, but I can live with that.

I sight the rifle in to be just under three inches high at 100 yards. That takes the range estimation out of the question for nearly every shot I've ever taken at a big game animal.

You guys are really making me consider hanging on to my 270 after reading through all these successful posts. I have been on the verge of trading it off or having to re-barreled into something else! 🤔😂

You guys are really making me consider hanging on to my 270 after reading through all these successful posts. I have been on the verge of trading it off or having to re-barreled into something else! 🤔😂

Don't do it! I currently have 3 of em. Had 4 at one time. Looking to add a 4th again. I have 4 daughters and I want them each to get one when I kick the bucket. They can fight over the others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back