Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

What reloading manual should I get?

Mark K

All I plan on reloading is 30-06, 6mm Rem, and maybe some .223. I can't find the old ones the old man had, so I figure I might as well get some that I know the location of.

Should I get some, or maybe just go with online recipes?

The only manual I own is Hornady. There is a lot of useful info in it and I do refer to it frequently. But there is so much stuff online it's pretty unreal. I have a lot of PDF files from Barnes and Nosler saved on my computer as well as the entire manual from Western Powders. I still think it's useful to have one around, but this is the year 2020.

I typically buy a manual for each brand of bullet that I intend on shooting. I know a lot of data is available for free online, however I still like to have a hard copy in front of me at the reloading bench.

I like to have a couple paper manuals to cross reference. If you’re a new reloader, the front part of any manual should be mandatory reading. I still read through my manuals every year and come away with a better understanding of something different every time. I highly recommend the Lyman manuals as I have the 49th and 50th edition.

I have Hornady, Berger, Sierra, Alliant, Hodgdon, Nosler, Lee.

Online i use Alliant, Western Powders (Accurate, Ramshot).

You can download Western, Barnes, Vithavouri.

The only one i don't use is the Nosler Manual.

Why not use the Nosler? I have generally had good luck with the online recipes, for at least a guideline.

As to the original question, I have not bought a manual in many years. I use the ones that I have mainly just for quick reference for coal etc. Of the ones that I have, it seems to me that the Speer manual has the closest velocities, to what my chrono says. I go to the online manual that the powder companies put out. Every rifle is different, and like the paper kind, it is only a guide with suggested max/min loads. Just as soon as you buy a manual, somebody comes out with a new bullet or powder that the manual does not cover. It is a fluid thing anymore, and the hardback manual is outdated pretty quickly, if you are looking at the new stuff to try.

I don't use any of my paper manuals anymore either. Website data from powder manufacturers is great.

I really like Nosler’s online load data. It’s nice to compare loads across multiple brands of powder in one place. Nosler uses Nosler brass, which is Norma, which often has lower capacity than other brands of brass, so keep that in mind. When I compare Nosler data with Norma powders to Norma load data the results are usually very close, sometimes identical, so I think their data is fairly accurate. Alliant’s rifle data is woefully lacking. If it wasn’t for Nosler, Barnes, Sierra, Speer and Lyman publishing loads with their powder, I’m not sure anyone would use them.

Because I usually just use published data to choose a starting point or pick a powder, and I have a chronograph, exact published velocity is not terribly important, but I still like that Berger lists the velocity difference in fps/in that should be expected when using a barrel of a different length than their test barrel. Kinda cool.

Last edited:
I really like Nosler’s online load data. It’s nice to compare loads across multiple brands of powder in one place. Nosler uses Nosler brass, which is Norma, which often has lower capacity than other brands of brass, so keep that in mind. When I compare Nosler data with Norma powders to Norma load data the results are usually very close, sometimes identical, so I think their data is fairly accurate. Alliant’s rifle data is woefully lacking. If it wasn’t for Nosler, Barnes, Sierra, Speer and Lyman publishing loads with their powder, I’m not sure anyone would use them.
This comment has summarized my experience with reloading as well. I'll second this response.

I typically buy a manual for each brand of bullet that I intend on shooting. I know a lot of data is available for free online, however I still like to have a hard copy in front of me at the reloading bench.

This, plus the Lyman manual. I like the Lyman alot. I also have a binder with load data I've downloaded from various reputable sources (like bullet manufacturers, etc) and loads for obsolete cartridges I've developed.

I still think there's a lot of value in the actual paper books. Tons of info in old manuals that you won't find in current online stuff and I like having a hard copy in front of me with load data & specs.

I'd suggest you get a manual for the bullet's you think you want to use. Next get manual's for the major manufacturer's. Look at the data and your gonna see a good number of example's that the data in any of them will work for all the bullet's if you start low and work your way up! Two thing's I like about the paper manuals is #1 I suck at using a computer and #2 I can put foot note's in paper manuals and can get one out and look at it while watching the TV. I do have al the major player's manuals and then some, very nice to have them.

In response to why i don't use the Nosler manual.
I use and really like Noslers components!
But, to be kind, i've found Noslers load manual to be engineered fiction.

When a manual says that IMR4350 is the fastest powder for a 150gr bullet out of the 7mm Rem Mag, well something doesn't smell quite right!

Look at used book stores, I used to see them from time to time. Lots of good info online, but I like having a book around for quick reference. I also enjoy reading the little snippets on the development of xyz cartrige that most include. I have a Sierra, Hornady, and a Nosler book, and look at them often as well as online, I also keep notes in the book, which is handy for me. Speaking of which, also get a notebook dedicated to reloading notes/recipes, you'll use it more than any manual.

In response to why i don't use the Nosler manual.
I use and really like Noslers components!
But, to be kind, i've found Noslers load manual to be engineered fiction.

When a manual says that IMR4350 is the fastest powder for a 150gr bullet out of the 7mm Rem Mag, well something doesn't smell quite right!
I don't know (or care) about it being the "fastest" load, but 70 grains beneath a 150 Ballistic Tip in my 7mm Mag is super accurate.

I thought Lyman was useful when I was first starting out. Still use it for the occasional quick reference or to sanity check a new load.

If you're only going to load for those three, rather than pick up a manufacturer's load book, I'd pick up those single cartridge books with the cheap plastic spiral binding. They're maybe $10 each. They literally have photocopies of the relevant pages from all the manufacturers (Hornady, Swift, Nosler, Hodgdon, etc.). Not sure how they negotiated to be able to do that but whatever.

I went online and downloaded a bunch of info. I also found some books that I will hit the next time I go to Cabelas.

Scheels has caliber specific reloading books, I have one for my 06 it isn't a big book and not manufacturer specific but good data and cheap.

I like the idea of the caliber specific books that have different manufacturer's load data in them. In working up my TTSX load for .308 I consulted several different sources and didn't find any two that matched but it gave me a good place to start from. As far as "MAX" load data, Hodgdon I've found to be on the conservative side, with the loads I've worked up, while other companies "MAX" will result in catastrophic failure. So always work up and compare as much load data as you can.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back