What powder for 7mm08

I use 41 grains of varget under a 140 nosler bt. I have a savage model 11 with a prostaff 5 mildot scope. I could load hotter but in development of the loads this one was most accurate, so that's what I chose. It's running about 2750 ish if I remember right. It is sub moa out to 500 haven't shot any further than that. Love the gun and load.

I was successful with H4350 under a 140 grain E-tip but Varget is very high on my list of powders. I'm going to try CFE223 as soon as I can some loads worked up.

My Ruger M77 does best when fed Varget with the 140 AB/BT's. Different story when I switch to either the Barnes 120 TSX, or the Nosler 150BT, then it wants RL-15. I probably could tweek either powder to do it all, so to speak, but I learned a long, long time ago to listen to the rifle and not try to jam what I think it should shoot down it's throat. (pun intended)

To answer your question, Yes, Varget should certainly on your very short list to start with. RL-15 also. After these two, the list is loooong. I've tried 4064, RL-17 & RL-19 also. Those didn't make the cut for whatever reason. A lot of guys swear by 4895, or H4895.

I have some 8208XBR on hand, for my 338 Fed....think I'll test a few of those just for grins & giggles.

But, for the foreseeable future, I'll be keeping a box of 50rnds, with Varget & 140 AB's, on my shelf at all times.

I am using Varget with a sierra game king and it shoots great, also going to try W760 with 140 grain Bergers and see how they do, very doubtful I would hunt with it, but coyotes and milk jugs might get blown to pieces!

I was successful with H4350

I am anxious to see how CFE223 works for you. It is THE powder for my .308 with 150 Interlocks.

Yeah, I'm excited to try it. The local range is a nightmare now that rifle season is so close so I'll have to wait for a rare nice fall day when the masses abandon the range in search of animals.

42 gr Varget under 140 Accubonds for my Savage 111 and Tikka T3. RL15 and Big Game are some other really good choices.

43.5 gr Varget with 120gr TTSX in Savage 16. 2950 fps in shorter barrel.

This equals muey bueno groups and nearly matches the factory Barnes velocity while giving me better groups and saving me $15/box.

I bought a pound of RL15 but never bothered to open it once I saw these groups.

I am going to buy some VARGEt while it is in stock as it is hard to find around me here in Michigan. My local store just got some in.
Ihave been shooting IMR4064 ,pretty good accuracy but not good enough. I think my rifle will do better.

Last edited:
I tried Varget, IMR 4064 and IMR 4350 and none shot good with 140 accubonds. Finally hit a good accurate load with Varget and 120gr ttsx. Will be trying it out on antelope,deer and elk this year, so fingers crossed!

I use IMR 4350 with 140 grain Nosler Accubonds and Ballistic Tips with good accuracy out of my Remington Model 7 FS. I'm not home, so I don't remember the powder weight.

How many grains? Just curious and you can PM me if you don't want to publicly post it.

I tried Varget, IMR 4064 and IMR 4350 and none shot good with 140 accubonds. Finally hit a good accurate load with Varget and 120gr ttsx. Will be trying it out on antelope,deer and elk this year, so fingers crossed!

I used 45 grains of varget with 120 ttsx. THIS IS LISTED CLOSE TO MAX,SO IT MAY NOT WORK IN YOUR RIFLE.

I loaded some VARGET today with 139 grain hornady boat tail. That is my Michigan deer bullet. shot good at 100 yards,next week will try for 200 yards. Most of the deer killed on the farm is from 50 to 200 yards. Hornady has always worked good for us .The VARGET loads grouped very good.

Another vote for varget.
I'm not going to say it was the best on every gun I have loaded for using it but it's been in the top two every time.

I'm loading for a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 AI. Hence my powder usage is slightly higher than standard 7mm-08 when loaded for accuracy, not max loads. (aka my most accurate loads are very near max 7mm-08 loads.

Varget did ok for me. Nothing special to write home about. Decent powder, decent accuracy.
Same with IMR 4350.
Really do NOT like CFE223!! Didn't get any appreciable velocity, or accuracy gains, and didn't like the recoil behavior.
My go to powders are Hodgdon H414, Alliant Reloder17, and Alliant Power Pro 2000.

H414 gives good velocity, and accuracy.
RL17 is the go to powder for velocity. (I'm clocking 2916fps with the 140 gr. bullet range)
PP2000 is my most go to powder! Gives best accuracy, and is clocking 2836fps with a 2fps standard deviation!!!

All if these are using fire formed PPU casings, and Federal GM210M match primers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back