Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What pistol do you carry on hunts

I have been going a different route lately but i don't have anything bigger than a person or black bear to worry about. I started carrying a Kel tec PMR30 a few years ago. Extremely light and accurate and holds 30 rounds of 22wmr. i carry an extra mag as well so i have 60 rounds in case SHTF. The whole thing with 2 full mags and holster weighs under 2 pounds. I've put 500 or so rounds through it without a jam. It is an ugly sucker, but man it shoots well. The 22wmr packs a pretty good wallop too.

Is that airline policy... certainly isn't a federal/state rule. My rifle wasn't loaded on AK air coming back from POW and I didn't get it for a couple of days, I know similar things have happened to a number of hunt talkers.

They are supposed to ride with you but last year Alaska Airlines lost my shotgun for a few days and it didn't make it home until a week later. When flying those small prop planes to remote villages on scheduled flights, firearms are MUST RIDE but all other bags are subject to being bumped depending on weight. Those small flights even make you stand on a scale, it's not like flying on airliners.
20151204_094258.jpg

They are supposed to ride with you but last year Alaska Airlines lost my shotgun for a few days and it didn't make it home until a week later. When flying those small prop planes to remote villages on scheduled flights, firearms are MUST RIDE but all other bags are subject to being bumped depending on weight. Those small flights even make you stand on a scale, it's not like flying on airliners.
View attachment 113286
Good to know!

This is an interesting discussion. Bow hunters talk about which pistol they like to carry, along with their bow and other equipment and then there will be a rifle scope discussion with people whining about a scope that is four ounces heavier! Bow hunters must be a bit tougher!:unsure:😁

Perhaps a new feature of this site could refer an OP on "what pistol?" to the hundreds (seems like) of threads which address that same question, go on and on ad nauseum, and too often evolve into a debate regarding the efficacy of bear spray.:rolleyes:

If you can hit/shoot accurately under duress why not a .357 mag with something like CCI shot shells? A bear's eye/s would be messed up forever.

I don’t hunt in bear country so I rarely carry a pistol hunting. I do carry a 9mm when bow hunting and either a small .22 or .32 when trapping.

I thought I would keep this handy. I love this set-up.

I carry a s&w 627pc. 8 round .357 mag, 5" barrel. Carry a few snake loads on me too, usually in my pack. Whacked one big rattler with a snake load bear hunting last month. Keep my cylinder full of the underwood ammo extreme penetrators. Used to carry a .44mag. Several years ago had a bear come up on me and shot him with a heavy buffalo bore hard cast from the .44 from 8ft. Flipped him ass over tea kettle.

If im playing in grizz country, .460xvr

This year I’m carrying a s&w 629 classic. It’s a lot of weight which I don’t enjoy but it rides nicely in its chest holster and gives me just a little less reservation when diving off into the thick and nasty. I reckon about every predator in the country is present in this area and in direct competition with me, so I’ll take any edge I can get! Also I keep some shot shells handy which are good for grouse if you are close. I’m using 305grain hard cast Keith style bullets and if they hit as hard as they kick I’ll be satisfied. Also carry spray, I’m not out looking to take a shot at a grizzly bear, so if the Situation is right I’d grab for spray first.

Sig Sauer p226 9mm. Light round but I stay on target with it.

I've carried a sidearm but mostly while scouting. Top choices are Ruger Blackhawk .357 or my duty carry H&K P2000 in 40cal.

Last edited:
Last couple of years I've carried my Steyr M1 in 40 cal. This year I'm going with my M&P shield in 9mm. There are no grizzlies in my unit, but wolves, black bears, and lions.

Back