What pistol do you carry on hunts

Chris76

When I archery hunt I like to carry my Judge. The reason is I like to have the 45 or a small caliber shot gun shell. (410). Had a bear put his paws like he was going to climb the tree I was in so if worst came to worst I had the 45 and in archery I run into a lot of snakes. Just think the judge have a lot of options for safety.

smith 60-15 pro, 357 150 gr hard cast hollowpoint,1100 fps, "for squirrels and such"

I carried a 7 1/2" Ruger SBH loaded with 250 grain Lyman 429421 gas checked over 23 grins of WW 296 for quite a few years. Made a spot and stalk one shot kill on one black bear with it. Many years ago when I lived in NW Montana I carried this pistol and my fishing partner carried a .357. Sometimes we would stop for a break and shoot rocks. His .357 would nock the rocks over and maybe break the rock in half, my .44 would turn the rocks into gravel.

Also for quite a few years I carried a Govt model 1911 loaded with 220 grain Lyman 452460 SWC bullets over 6.4 grains of Unique. Made a spot and stalk one shot kill on another black bear with this one, and quite a few blue grouse.

While antelope hunting in eastern Montana, I'll sometimes carry a Ruger single six .22 LR that has only killed one rattlesnake and one coyote.

This year I bought a S&W 4" model 629 SS to carry instead of one of my 7 1/2" SBH's. It shoots my 250 grain cast bullets well, and it is a joy to shoot with 250 grain Lyman 429244 .44 Spl loads. I'll be carrying it this fall on hunts in Montana and Alaska.

Last edited:
Waiting for Ruger to bring out the LCRx 327 Federal with the 3” barrel and adjustable sights. Supposedly next Spring.....
I have one of the early 3" models with the adjustable rear sight, looks like the newer ones don't have that.
I've carried other pistols on occasion but get tired of the extra weight and it ends up staying in the truck.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back