What Pack?

I know I'm a little late to the party but I use the Slumberjack Bounty 4500. It's similar to the Full Curl system in that it has a day pack, a frame and a large main bag. Organization is not the pack's strongest attribute but it carries weight really well, washes easy and can used in several different ways. I think they are under $200 now. They're new Bounty 2.0 is essentially the same bag, but a little better organization from the looks of it.

I was in your shoes a couple years ago and went with the Eberlestock F1 Mainframe which has a lego-esque system approach with different options available. It was worked quite nicely for me, but I'm not doing more than one night excursions.

The frame has been excellent for carrying boned-out meat and the straps make it easy to attach the layers of clothing you shed on that first pack out trip.

Thanks everyone, I decided to go with the Horn Hunter Mainbeam XL and I should have it this week. I ordered it this morning. I have some of their products now and I m happy with them. I also like their quality and the fact that its made in the good ole USA. It uses the same frame as the Full Curl only its more of a traditional pack. It can handle a reasonable load. More than I will want to carry in fact. We will see!

Last edited:
There are two Seek Outside Divides on Ebay right now for under $300. You will do yourself a disservice if you don't at least look at this brand.

HD

It is funny to me that everyone thinks that they have to spend a ton of money on packs. I have used Cabela's Alaskan frame packs for 30+ years and have hauled out hundreds of pounds of deer and elk meat with them. They are not fancy and don't have all of the pretty little pockets etc., but they flat work and I have carried up to 110 pounds of meat in one (won't ever do that again-older and smarter!). The extra pockets may be nice, if you are going for several days, so that you can keep your lingerie separate or something.:eek:

They may be a bit noisier than some if you are scraping through trees, though, but I have never been able to blame my lack of success on that!

I like to keep things as inexpensive and simple as possible.

SB, one way to look at it is new pack which handles a load extremely well vs a trip to the ER for a blown out knee because 80 pounds shifted on you on a downhill and you weren't ready for it.

That's how I'm going to justify it anyways ;)

Look at it another way. You can get to work by riding a bicycle, but it's a heck of a lot more fun driving a Ferrari.
I've hauled enough critters off the hill using a Camp Trails frame that I can appreciate a specific made hunting pack. To each his own.

SB, one way to look at it is new pack which handles a load extremely well vs a trip to the ER for a blown out knee because 80 pounds shifted on you on a downhill and you weren't ready for it.

That's how I'm going to justify it anyways ;)

Good point. LOL. I just was never able to talk myself into spending that much money on a pack, because I am cheap and have too few years left to change!:)

There are almost zero advantages to having a pack that is small that it can only be used as a daypack or one overnighter.

All the newer, high end packs are so light and pack down so small, there is just no reason to have a dedicated daypack and a dedicated pack in pack.
A 6 or 7000 CI Stone Glacier is lighter than most day packs and can carry more weight than most guys are strong enough to pack.

For $400, I'd get a kuiu Icon.

Hooper is right about the frame packs too. For the money, you can't beat them and you can't hardly break them.

I actually have a Cabella's Alaska II. It's not high-endy by any stretch but it's light-weight, basically comforatble, and I've hauled tons of gear into and out of the mountains, and tons more of elk and deer meath out of the mountains with it. Never given me any trouble. My one complaint about it is that it's noisy. Lots of jingle-jangle on aluminum frame, which is why I only use it for establishing a spike camp; it wouldn't be very good as hunting pack due to the racket it makes, but as a heavy lifter I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it. It's been a while since I bought it, but I don't remember it costing more than about $200 or something in that neighborhood anyway.

I actually have a Cabella's Alaska II. It's not high-endy by any stretch but it's light-weight, basically comforatble, and I've hauled tons of gear into and out of the mountains, and tons more of elk and deer meath out of the mountains with it. Never given me any trouble. My one complaint about it is that it's noisy. Lots of jingle-jangle on aluminum frame, which is why I only use it for establishing a spike camp; it wouldn't be very good as hunting pack due to the racket it makes, but as a heavy lifter I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it. It's been a while since I bought it, but I don't remember it costing more than about $200 or something in that neighborhood anyway.

Thanks Brian, yeah I was going to go with a Horn Hunter pack and after quite a wait on back order I finally canceled the order. I was lucky enough however to secure a closeout Slumber Jack Rail Hauler 2500 complete frame pack with bag for pennies. I am so glad I got it. Its exactly what I was looking for. Its quite compact and the frame is rated for 200 lbs. The bag that came with the frame is about 2500 cu in and I think this thing will work great as a day pack/compact meat hauler. Very happy with my purchase o fthe Slumber Jack.

I tend to go cheap when I'm able. Everything that I can get at Good Will, army surplus, or Walmart, if it's usefull, that's where I get it. I actually have an Allen fanny pack that I could easily put 20+ pounds of gear in. I spent $20 on it and I've used it in archery season for years. I don't skimp on foot gear, rifles, or bows. Litterally everything else I ask 2 questions: is it functional? and How cheap can I get it?

Eventually I believe I'll invest in some good wool clothing, but for now I just layer up. I do fine.

i use an Osprey atmos 50 and can squeeze several days of supplies with it. Very comfortable pack, have used mainly for hiking on the AT and put some miles on it. Could probably use for hunting as well, but will probably get a MR or Kuiu for that.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back