What Pack?

the reason I wouldn't use mystery ranch for mountaineering is they are geared more specifically to hunting.

This is not true. I dare you to tell that to the gobs of people around Bozeman wearing MR packs for skiing and hiking too. Or firefighters or military personel using their stuff. A greater emphasis on hunting products is actually more of a recent thing but their bread and butter is packs for skiers and backpackers. When I went into their shop at their headquarters 3 years ago when I was pack shopping, they had far more other packs on display than the hunting line.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/Packs/Mountain

http://www.mysteryranch.com/Packs/Fire

http://www.mysteryranch.com/Packs/Military

For the price, I've been very pleased with my full curl system pack from horn hunter. I generally use the day pack configuration but I've used the larger bag on some camping trips with my family. Can't argue that you get what you pay for but it has worked for me

So the question I have it this, so far we have looked at many packs, they are all good with there own pros and cons. They all have one thing in common..........they are all for multiple over night stays. We are mostly day packing, that's are number one thing. Wouldn't we want something geared more for hauling shit out, rather than hauling shit in? Its just an observation is all and I ask because I want to solve our problem.

Consider that you could get a 2000 cubic inch bag for maybe 4 to 4.5 lbs or you could get a 3500 cubic inch bag for just under 5 lbs. Pending brands, the weight ratio is probably similar. So why not get a 3500 CI bag that collapses down to essentially nothing, is comfortable to wear and could double as a multi day pack if you ever had a wild hair? I'm specifically speaking about the Exo 2200 vs the 3500 in regards to weight and capability but both of these new break your price point. That said, maybe consider just the frame with a beaver tail or flap that can secure meat and jackets for your day pack now and next year or two add the bag. You could look at Exo, Kuiu, Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier....this list goes on. Good luck!

Thanks everyone. Does anyone have any recommendations for mountaineering packs? Gregory, Lowe Alpine, Mystery Ranch backpacking line, Kelty, Osprey ?
Just wondering if there where any stand outs? Thanks

I've had all those minus MR, my current mountaineering pack is Osprey, the last one way Gregory, before that Kelty (which still gets used from time to time as it's a great design and super durable).

I use an ancient Gregory (I believe folks on eBay would consider it "vintage"). Pack bag is in the 5-6,000 range. I just cinch it down and carry it as a day pack for hunting. It is big enough to carry a quarter and more gear than I ever want to In the end the best pack is the one in your weight carrying class and that fits you the best. The most important thing is getting a pack that can carry the weight. Don't think you need a hunting specific pack.

The pack I have is a much older version of one like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/112067913070?vectorid=229466&item=112067913070&rmvSB=true.

Last edited:
I actually have a Horn Hunter fanny pack with shoulder straps that has held up well for me. I also have a 15 year old Lowe Alpine that has also lasted. I was looking at both of their line. I also like some of the mountain smith stuff.

Do you think a simple mountaineering pack is good enough for hauling out boned meat?

Last edited:
The Stone Glacier Minimalist may be a good option under $400:

https://www.stoneglacier.com/hunting-packs/minimalist

The Krux frame is an awesome load hauler. You could get some pack bags for it later if you wanted. I have the Solo and it's been a great pack. Hauled two elk out of the woods this season and have used it a lot for backpacking. Also SG customer service is top notch.

Thank You! Basically a system like this makes the most sense to me at this point. Like others have said get a good frame and buy the pack bag later. I like the fact that this one comes with the dry bag already and is ready to except a few other things.

How does it handle the weight is it still comfortable with 75+ on it?

I am a Kifaru fan, but their products are outside of your budget. I did buy a Kuiu Ultra 3000 and it fits the bill. Less than $400 new, substantially when on sale. I used mine to carry out a boned out elk in 5 trips this past season and it worked just fine. I used a Boundary Waters bag from Cabelas to keep the blood off the pack. The load is carried between the bag and frame keeping it close to your body for balance and stability. The included straps cinched the load down perfectly. Much lighter than my 15 year old Kifaru, has enough space for an overnighter and is comfortable with a load. When used as a day pack, it compresses right down. I'm not a fan of Gucciflage, but this pack from Kuiu is worth the money.

Does anyone have the SG minimalist? On the product description it sounds like you can't carry a quarter and the pack bag at the same time.

"Remove the SG Load Cell dry bag to use the load shelf to pack quarters or other large loads"

Does anyone have the SG minimalist? On the product description it sounds like you can't carry a quarter and the pack bag at the same time.

"Remove the SG Load Cell dry bag to use the load shelf to pack quarters or other large loads"
I see what you mean. For boned meat you could use load cell bag as your meat bag. IME the horizontal straps are long enough you could probably put a bone in quarter on the meat shelf and still have enough strap to get the load cell on. The also make some nice looking day pack sized bags that aren't super expensive (Serac with frame is closer to $500). I've also seen used bags for sale on Rokslide at times.

Also my brother uses the Horn Hunter Full Curl system and likes it. New system is definitely under $400. Made well, a ton of pockets and stuff like that. It's kind of modular as well so you can just roll with a day pack sized pod or go full backpack mode. It is a bit heavy empty (over 7lbs I think) but from what he said carries big loads well.

I have had loads 100-115# lbs on the MR NICE frame, Kifaru Timberline, and Stone Glacier Krux (solo and sky 5100), and many more in the 80-99# range. I wouldn't knock any of them but for me Stone Glacier is tops.
My priorities are simple design, lightweight, and ergonomics that fit me. The first two you get to pick, the third you have to figure out as you go.

I actually have a Horn Hunter fanny pack with shoulder straps that has held up well for me. I also have a 15 year old Lowe Alpine that has also lasted. I was looking at both of their line. I also like some of the mountain smith stuff.

Do you think a simple mountaineering pack is good enough for hauling out boned meat?
If it fits you well and is stiff enough they will do fine. The breakdown with most mountaineering packs happens when the load gets to be too much for the stays to handle. I have doubled up aluminum stays in some packs to increase stiffness. I packed out a few deer on backpacking trips with an Arc'teryx Needle 55 and Bora 65. Also have had 90+# loads in an older Lowe Alpine.
There are a lot of mountaineering/backpacking packs I'd rather hunt with than most "hunting" packs.

Any comfy pack that's less than about 4 pounds and has good cinch straps should meet your needs. You could also take off the cap on many packs to either use as a daypack or lessen the weight and bulk. I use a Gregory contour 60 liter for up to four day trips, and every time I head out to rifle hunt for big game, even as a daypack. I think it is around 4 pounds, but can fairly comfortably haul about 70 or so (half of a whitetail deer). It has a plethora of cinchers to bring in the slack when it's not loaded. I also really like a hydration bladder; otherwise you may have to take your pack off to get a drink. Also, I recommend looking for a pack where the top extends up vertically to accommodate bigger loads; it collapses down to nothing with small loads. most backpacking packs have this. I would recommend reading the outdoor gear lab http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/backpacks. If I had 400 dollars I would maybe look at Tenzing, Kuiu, Eberlestock, osprey, gregory, northface, or exo. For what it's worth, I have found internal frames to be more comfortable than external frames. Obviously they can't haul as massive loads, however, and I have yet to get an elk and put this to the test. I think its kinda like boots; go to a big store, try on as many as you can, and find one that fits you. Every body is different and certain packs probably fit better than others.

Thanks Guys! Now that the new year is about to roll in I m going to be looking for a sweet deal on a bag. Does any one have any experience with the Eberlestock F1 pack Frame? I d like to know thanks!

Hey would a regular hiking backpack be okay my dad talked about hiking in and hunting I'm sure that it would be ok I just wanted to make sure.

I'm liking the looks of the Mystery Ranch Scapegoat and it would fit what you're looking for for less than $300. That's probably what I'm going to get since using my old Army rucksack is getting old on my damaged back.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back