Caribou Gear

What made this noise?

Harrier

I did a three-day hog hunting/camping trip in the Sam Houston National Forest late last week. While set up at a pond in the evening, I was startled right at sunset by very loud, sharp noises coming from the tops of pine trees surrounding the pond. I recorded it with the voice memo program in my phone, but can’t figure out how to attach it here.

It was a sound I’d never heard before, and it sounded more electronic than animal. Everything I look up suggests cicadas, but this wasn’t rhythmic like cicadas — it was sharp bursts of growl-like noises, more like feedback coming from an amplifier than anything else, definitely coming from high up in the trees. I couldn’t see anything making the noise, and it didn’t occur anywhere else. I was camped half a mile away under other pine trees, and no noise.

Any ideas? Bird, tree frog, insect? Aliens?

Tree frogs - or some similar anuran. I think. Maybe. Probably wrong.

But it's that time of year.
I think you’re on to it. Still not quite what I heard, but this comes closest:

Not really a soothing nighttime sound. Not symmetrical (if that can be used to describe a sound) like other ribbit frogs.

I think you’re on to it. Still not quite what I heard, but this comes closest:

Not really a soothing nighttime sound. Not symmetrical (if that can be used to describe a sound) like other ribbit frogs.
I've never seen a leopard frog 8n trees.

Ah, I forgot about blue herons. They roost at the top of trees and more often than not in conifers. I have only heard them make a singular noise as they lit - "Groink!" Other than roosting I've never heard a heron make a sound.

Tree frogs - or some similar anuran. I think. Maybe. Probably wrong.

But it's that time of year.
That was my thought. Especially next to a pond. I don’t know what the Texas equivalent of boreal chorus frogs is, but that’s exactly how I would describe their sound.

Some tree frog options that might be in Texas. Tops of trees and near ponds makes tree frogs a good possibility. Of course could be something else too...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back