What kind of trekking poles are you using?

BD Trail model. Have bent a few of them but have always been able to straighten them a time or two before I lose faith in their structural integrity.

Ba$$ Pro has the Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Corks on sale. I just ordered them this morning and saved something like $55 or somewhere around there. I've had my Ergo Poles for well over ten years with lots of miles on them. We'll see what kind of mileage I get out of these.

I have a set of Komperdell cork grip poles. I’ve had to repair them several times, and the next time will be via replacement. They are okay, and I bought them on a budget. They’ve served their purpose. If I could spring for a good pair initially, I’d do so.

I have the Costco ones (Cascasde Mountain) and they have a rattle or vibration noise that annoys me. My wifes Black Diamond set doesn't seem to make the noise. If I were to use them every day or every time I hunt I probably wouldn't buy them again but they do the job because I typically only use them when packing meat out or have an abnormally heavy pack.

Honestly, I decided to give the Trail Buddy sticks a try off amazon and they have worked perfect. Light, pretty strong, cork grip and only $35. I've taken them into some rough places and they've been great. My hunting buddy runs Black Diamonds and I haven't noticed a difference.

I have the Costco ones (Cascasde Mountain) and they have a rattle or vibration noise that annoys me. My wifes Black Diamond set doesn't seem to make the noise. If I were to use them every day or every time I hunt I probably wouldn't buy them again but they do the job because I typically only use them when packing meat out or have an abnormally heavy pack.

I have similar version, but maybe a little upgrade from the Costco, I'll have to compare them. I just bought a pair of the costco version last week for a backup for friends/family. I got tired of replacing a $150 pair of Black Diamonds every year after they wore out, or broke. BD used to make a set of poles that were oval shaped, and super stout. I sadly lost the pair I had and they quit making them (probably because they didn't break or need to be replaced). I have had the Cascades for a couple years now and haven't had any issue or noticed any rattle. Sheep hunting is hard on poles they get bent/broken when crossing tallus, and worn out or weakened from scraping on rocks. I just couldn't justify spending the extra money on something I new was going to fail at some point.

04C98CAE-1235-4647-9FA1-8944A4C36DF1.jpeg
95-96% give 4 or 5 stars, not bad at all. Get a brightly-colored pair so you don’t set them down and lose them. 7075 aluminum is durable, and the flip lock is pretty dependable. I’ve used them a couple seasons and I’ll buy another pair if/when they wear out.

Back