Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What kind of rifles and bayonets are these?

TomTeriffic

I was in the Army from 1988-1995 and never witnessed the Army Drill Team perform. This manual of arms looks more impressive than I have seen from the Marines even. In Basic Training, we did not get to twirl our M16's in such fashion. Doing these movements with these flashing bayonets fixed makes these American soldiers look brave, indeed. At least the rifle stocks are wooden if the soldiers are not.

Last edited:
They look like M 1903 Springfield rifles without a bolt to me.
Traditionally, when armies drilled with bolt-action rifles, were the bolts customarily removed? These Marine are utilizing M1 Garands. One poor Marine drops his cover on the field. Perhaps chin straps to secure covers during drill should be considered. They are mighty brave thrusting those bayonets toward one another! I wonder how many times they drop their weapons in this sort of training?

Here is manual of arms with bolt in rifle:

Last edited:
Those looked like 03A3 Springfields, although I could not really tell.

When my friend was in Air Force ROTC on a drill team he twirled what looked like an M1 Garand.

They don’t have to remove the bolts because they aren’t real and neither are the bayonets. Whether or not there is some drill team using real rifles I do not know, but neither the ones in the first video, nor the one issued to my friend in ROTC are actually rifles. They don’t have bolts to be removed.

The rifles and bayonets in the second video look much better. They might be real. I can’t say for sure. If they’re real, they removed the front sight. Probably because it snags when they spin and throw rifles. I find it strange that the bayonets don’t appear to have the bolt in the middle of the handle, but maybe you just can’t see them. At least a couple of the rifles seem to have top and bottom wood, and thin metal butt plates. My buddies’ “rifle” had a one-piece stock and a fairly thick black strip of paint for a butt plate. Second vid might be using real rifles and bayonets. They are, at the very least, substantially more convincing.

Last edited:
Traditionally, when armies drilled with bolt-action rifles, were the bolts customarily removed? These Marine are utilizing M1 Garands. One poor Marine drops his cover on the field. Perhaps chin straps to secure covers during drill should be considered. They are mighty brave thrusting those bayonets toward one another! I wonder how many times they drop their weapons in this sort of training?

Here is manual of arms with bolt in rifle:

I have no idea whether traditionally the bolts are removed or not. I couldn't see if there were bolts in the rifles or not but I do not see a bolt handle.

Every drill team I've seen they use M1s.
The only one I’ve seen in person used fake M1s, but it was college ROTC. The first video strikes me as fake rifles( and also not likely an M1), but the second video doesn’t look like they’re necessarily fake, and is definitely an M1. Do you have any insight on how many drill teams use real M1’s?

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back