Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What Kind of Howler?

Doug

fce865ca.jpg

I have a SilverDog Howler made by Steve Nordstrom and I really like it. It's a very nice cowhorn howler for under 40 bucks. What kind of howler is everyone else using?
Doug

http://www.varmintcaller.com/Products/products.htm#Order

Doug,
I have many, some commercial and some custom. I also make and sell a new custom that pup and I are combining our talents on. Its called the slydog-pup howler and its the easiest open reed that I have used. They are $60 delivered.

I also make a diaphram style cow horn howler, they start at $90 and go up

I use a Rich Cronk Howler for all my long range stuff and I think he sells his for around $60

sly

Well I own both a slydog and Rich Higgins diaphragm howler,can't see where I'd need more than that,except to collect ? I have practiced a lot with both,but haven't called with either yet.

Slydog,you ol' hound,you owe me an e-mail
biggrin.gif

After getting my Slydog howler I have given away all of my commerial mass produced junk. But my friends that I gave them to I tell them they sound better than I could ever blow the thing.

This way when the Slydog strikes they think that the real thing is there and POW the 222 will strike.

If Slydog's howlers are the same calibur as his antler calls, then I can see why you fellas like them so much. Maybe when I learn to howl a little better, I will invest in one of the slydog-pup howlers.
wink.gif

Doug

Doug, if you get one. You wont need to learn how the howel better. Like his other call they will teach you. Thats how good they are. Sly calls are so good all they need you for is so you can takem to the woods and shoot, they will take care of the rest.

On stands I mainly use a Critr'Call Songdog stuck in a Carlton bell. The bell has a very good rattle.

I also have and use on occasion several homemade cowhorn howlers that have the Olt D2 mouth and a couple with Songdog and the Woods Wise HyperHot Elk mouth installed in them.

My behind the truck seat long range locator is the old or original Sceery howler. That's the old truck horn or long oil funnel style. It's about 18"(?) long. It'll get those summer cornfield coyotes talking!

My wish list has a Cronk Buffalo horn howler. Someday I'll have one.

Dennis

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back