Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What kind of gun does everyone use?

Hudge

I was just wondering what king of gun everyone used for coyote, etc. I've been thinking of taking up coyote hunting in the near future, and jsut wondered what everyone was using. I thought about either a Savage 11 or a Remington 700 ADL syn, in either .223 or .22-250. So let's hear wat ya use now.

Hudge

depends on what country im hunting. Mossberg ulti-mag 3 1/2 inch bb's .......remington 788 in 243 when serious short range killin needs doin.. Ruger Mark2 22-250 when range is a factor

------------------
If there isn't any dogs in heaven .....IAINT GOIN

I use a little short ar-15 for close to med. range, If I go for long range its my .243. lots of time I will take a shotgun with #4 buck shot.

Depending on where you will be hunting, will have the most factor in determining your gun choice.

If you hunt in thick country dont buy a heavey barrel .223 or 22-250, get a shotgun or a short ar-15. You wont be happy with the results of the long range rifles. How ever you will have a perfect excuess to buy another weapon. For most beginners I would recomend a shotgun or a non heavy barreled gun with a 3x9 scope. Remember dont spend to much money if you dont have to. and always get a good quality scope if you do use one.

Delw

[This message has been edited by Delw (edited 01-22-2001).]

I have a pair of remington 788, one in .223 the other in 22-250. and a Ruger #3 in 25-35 ackley imp.

I use a winchester model 70 varminter in 22-250 topped with a 4-12 leupold with a target dot. If I could have found one I would have bought a straight 8 power scope with a dot, but I couldnt find one. So, I just leave my variable on 8 power most of the time. I use 55 grain nosler ballistic tips with 38 grains of H380. Seems to work good on coyotes, but rips fox pretty bad.

I have a Rugar MarkII .223. topped with a leupold 3-9x50mm.....Its perfect and if you don't have reloading equipment like me thats why I choose 223 over the 22-250 cause you can get rounds to plink with alot cheaper......Like my dad use to tell me, a guns only as good as the shooter,

------------------
chewin_md_clr.gif
GatoMan

Well, it sounds like I'm ready to go already then. I have a shotgun, and a .243 already. I've just got to put my new scope on the .243, then find some loads for it. It's a 742 Remington, adn it was my fathers sole deer rifle. I'd still like to get a .223 though. I'd use it to plink with, and for coyotes. As of now, I'd be coyote huntig near where I deer hunt, which consists of grown up fields bordered by woods.

Hudge

Ruger #1 V in 220 swift has been my choice for many years. I like a Speer 52 gr HP. Goes in and don't come out!!Got hooked on this when hides would bring something. Works well on cat , yotes, fox and coon. Ol' Bob

BbarC I have one of those swifts in a ruger #1 I love it. Its topped with a 36x leupold. also have one in a varmit markII the one with the blue reciever and the stainless barrel.this is topped with a 12x leupold. That was the first and only year the made that ugly looking mark II. But they are shooters.

Delws

My favorite coyote gun is a 6mm Remington Classic topped by a Leopold 3x9 . The short action and 22 inch barrel make for an easy handling gun in the pickup . I like the 55 gr ballistic tips pushed to about 4000 fps with RL 15 . Those light bullets make a Swift out of the .24 caliber cartridges .

0-60 yds. = 3.5" 12ga. w/ #4,#1,and 000 BUCK
50-250yds = .243 70gr. @ 3400+fps.
250-500 . = 7mmMag. 140 gr. @ 3300+fps

Really anything will do if you can shoot it accurately....Sparkman

I use a .243 for general hunting and my 300 mag when sighting in. I don't sell the pelts, so The hole size doesn't matter. We have ALOT of Yotes here in Idaho but I never find ...(OR TAKE) the time to get many of them......
frown.gif

I still want to take one with my bow, After my recent trip to Texas missing a yote broad side at 20 yrds..... I want a 2nd try
smile.gif

-Moosie

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> AKA Moose Hunter
<LI> www.huntandlodge.com

moose.gif

[/list]

I keep busy trying to slow down the growth population of yotes and stray dogs about. I use a 222 on the stray cats and crows. My other guns is a 22-250 and 25-06 for the deep field shooting.

I use a Rem 700 in 22-250 Ackley topped with a Simmons 2.5-10X50 Pro50 Scope. Most of our hunting here is in fairly open country.

Pecos

Pecos: Welcome to Moosies! You have just stumbled upon perhaps the best hunting forums on the web.

I just got my first varmint gun around christmas time and haven't put a single round through it yet. It's nothing fancy but it shall do it's a H&R Ultra .223 I topped off with a Bausch & Lomb elite 3000 5-15x50. I hope to pop off some crows at a distance with it and will probably take out some rodents too. Who knows... First I should probably shoot it, eh?
wink.gif

------------------
SignatureBanner.jpg

Click Here to visit "The Junior Hunter Online Magazine"

243 win with 60 gr.hollow points...(we dont have any coyotes around but we got plenty of red fox)..................hey dan,whats up wit da new logo....i liked the old one better......JB

[This message has been edited by JB CORPORATION (edited 03-12-2001).]

Gatoman: I just bought the same setup you have and played with it at the range for 5 hours. Super accurate at 300 yards which, is my limit. LUV it!!
Regards
Gun Smoke

Hi Guys and Gals,

New member here. Last time I saw a coyote my buddy put a 55gr ballistic tip up it's back side at about 250 yards - using a 6PPC. We don't have many around here but we do have tons of woodchucks. In the summer of 1999 one buddy and myself did quite a bit of hunting for woodchucks. I managed to remove 97 from the face of the earth. Most kills were over 500 yards and my best kill was at 660 yards.
I use a 22 CHeetah MK 1 (308 necked down to 22). Load data was 44gr of 4064 pushing a 52gr berger bullet at 4280 FPS. I have since down loaded to 43gr - I was getting a lot of case expansion. My rifle is topped with a 6 to 24 X 50 Swarovski with a dot reticle. Here is a picture of it. OK now, no laughing at the stock color, lol.

View

Don
smile.gif

Now Don, why would we make fun of your gun? I think it's very pretty, as a matter of fact I'm thinking of buying my mom one like that for her birthday.
smile.gif
Just playing with ya, I actually like the color, but then again I like sour kraut too. Just out of curiosity what kind of groups do you push out of that thing at 650 yards?

------------------
SignatureBanner.jpg

Click Here to visit "The Junior Hunter Online Magazine"

Back