What kind of dog food do you use?

Ever since we got our Dalamation (Hercules) and our Lab/Chow (ShadowDancer) they have been on Predigree. They can not handle any of the other brands out there. They are all to heating for their systems to handle. They have the shines coats and are full of engery. I would not trade my 2 good kids (dogs that is) for all the tea in China or their dog food. Both can and dry for the world.
;) ;)

I'm feeding Diamond. I also change fat when not hunting hard. Diamond also gives tight stoles and don't have to feed a ten pounds a day to keep a dog from staving.

Good post on the high protene in the winter and lower in the summer. With feed prices at an all time high you may want to consider this as a cheap and alternative feed.
Call me crazy, but it damn sure works

In the winter and beside saving a few coins, it is top grade stuff!
If you can get meat scraps from the butcher or slaughter house, boil a half of a drum of water and scraps in a drum till the meat gets soft and off the bone. Add a half of container of salt, then fill it to 3/4 and boil again.
stir in about 15 pounds of corn meal if you can get it from the local feed or grist mill and let her rip till it starts to mush. If not, rice works well if you can get it in bulk! (also last longer than mush meal)

This make a great high pro and carb feed, and cost 1/10 of the bag feed. Through the winter it goes a long ways with a large pack of hounds as long as you keep it covered and out in the cool it will not spoil.
Make sure to pull the bones out when filling the feed bucket!

You may even consider adding a of barley or dry oats, along with some watercress or greens from mustard, turnips of veggies that the grocer will chuck out , as it also adds fiber and vitimins. If eggs are cheap, it never hurts to throw a dozen or so in the mix!

You might think this is a joke, but read the lable on the high $$$ feed and you will see that it is damn near the same!

We have a springer spanial here (heel hound) and until the wife started making its food it had BAD skin problems. She makes rice, egg and adds some greens. Dog feed here cost a small fortune! and since she started he have not had any problems.

take a look at bag and see for yourself!

Right now I am feeding Buddy Boy.The dogs really do well on it.Good tight stool,and dont crap a whole lot.I feed 26%-18% in the winter and 21%-10% in the summer.

.....:D.........OR......You can let them chew on a dead calf ;) My dogs prefer this to ANY dog food. :D :D :D

Thumper, I think you are right about a dog needing some "real" food now and then. My dogs get thje run of the farm and have very few if any health problems compared to by buddies who live in town. Just been my observations.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 24 May 2001 13:22: Message edited by: josh ]</font>

When I used to run my bird dogs alot, I used IAMS. I don't like a lot of corn in the food, as it goes through them just like it goes through me...corn is very hard to digest and makes for more poop to clean up. My ex-wife used to show one of my GSP's ( I didn't care as long as the dog could hunt!), and the dog's coat was fantastic..shiny, water repellent...as was the muscle tone. I just cut back the volume during the off-season and when dog training was shut down in the fields due to the pheasant hatch.

I feed Maximum Nutrition brand Lamb and Rice Formula.It is 26% crude protein and 16% crude fat.The number 1 ingredient,which is the most important one,is lamb.It is the best dog food I have ever fed my dogs.I have been useing it now for about 2 years.They get so much out of it there is hardly any droppings to pick it up.I get it at Wal-Mart.It is about the same food as the Iams brand.It is a little pricey though.A 40lb bag runs me $21.97 At .55 a pound it is the most exspensive I have fed but definatly the best.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back