Yeti GOBOX Collection

What Kind of a Pot Do You Use For Cooking Skulls?

Nameless Range

There are lots of threads out there on boiling skulls, and this question may have been answered but I didn't see it.

I have used Buzz's directions on this post with great success on numerous deer.

It is a testament to how often I shoot bull elk, that I recently found that despite the fact that it's not that big, the bull I shot this year won't fit in my typical skull pot. The antlers prohibit it from sinking down far enough. The Ghost of Yesteryear's Miller Light will no longer work.

ThePot.jpg

I went around to some stores last night but couldn't find anything that seemed it would be big enough. I did find some galvanized trough looking things that may work at Murdochs, but before I pulled the trigger I figured I'd ask the collective wisdom here.

What vessel do you simmer your elk skulls in?

For some reason I was under the impression I wouldn't want to use one of those galvanized tubs because they wouldn't take the heat. Turns out that is wrong and I am overthinking it. Good tips and I appreciate the feedback. Thank you!

I would imagine whatever type you use it is likely not going to turn out well. I think most folks just use it for baking... pun intended. Lol

I tried a galvanized tub from Lowes, but it turned out to be decorative and wouldn't hold water. Cut the bottom off a 50 gallon drum I had and that worked out perfect for the water buffalo skull I did last year.

Use the smallest sized tub that just fits the skull.....easier to get and keep liquids simmering away. Oval/oblong shaped tubs seem better than round for volume reduction. I use bungee cords and scrap lumber to suspend skull at proper height, antlers just hovering above the water level.

I am looking forward to the day when I need to get a bigger tub than my whitetail tub, but Kansas hasn't seen fit to give me an elk tag, and Wyoming is either a random win or a few more points away to hunt the "home" hunt district.

If you have a Feed store that carries Crystalyx Cattle supplements in Steel drums, those are basically 1/2 a 55 gallon barrel. Usually around $10 deposit.

102210105401_g-marketing-materials-crystalyx-logos-general-embossed-barrel--hi-res.26673522_std.jpg

I just used the pot that came with my turkey deep fryer. Its skinny enough to keep the skull submerged and the horns above the water. I used aluminum foil loosely covered over the horns to keep them dry and colored. Incidentally if the horns lose some color, brown shoe polish is about the perfect color. Apply an ultra ultra thin coat.

Back