What is your single top hunting season goal this year? I expect updates damn it.

Leopard hunt with hounds in Botswana. Wheels up tomorrow afternoon. Hunt report and photos upon my return. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.
IMG_2441.jpeg

Update: Kalahari Desert, Botswana, Africa - leopard with hounds, 9/6/23, Day 5 of 10 day hunt, Part of the Big 5. Blessed, grateful, and ecstatic. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

IMG_2496.jpeg

Leopard hunting with hounds is a team effort. Photo of the 11 people (from 4 different countries) who participated including the Professional Hunter(s), houndsmen, bushmen trackers, the Botswana Game Ranger, a few of the numerous hounds, and least importantly, the hunter.

Full Hunt report and more photos forthcoming after I recover from the trip. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

Last edited:
It’s so awesome to see people reaching their goals and making great memories. I was pushed by a few of you to add bear to the Hamm Slam. Well, does this fit the bill? My neighbor sent me of pics of this guy hanging on my property! He thought he was a grizzly. JLS and I vote color phase black bear, and a brute of a boar at that. Another neighbor told me they saw a grizzly. My guess this is the bear.

Resized_Screenshot_20230911_144505_Gallery.jpegResized_Screenshot_20230911_144457_Gallery.jpegResized_Screenshot_20230911_144505_Gallery.jpegResized_Screenshot_20230911_144308_Gallery.jpegResized_Screenshot_20230911_144218_Gallery.jpegResized_Screenshot_20230911_144346_Gallery.jpeg

Attachments

• Resized_Screenshot_20230911_144448_Gallery.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20230911_144448_Gallery.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Resized_Screenshot_20230911_144457_Gallery.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20230911_144457_Gallery.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Resized_Screenshot_20230911_144505_Gallery.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20230911_144505_Gallery.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 1
View attachment 292119

Update: Kalahari Desert, Botswana, Africa - leopard with hounds, 9/6/23, Day 5 of 10 day hunt, Part of the Big 5. Blessed, grateful, and ecstatic. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

View attachment 292120

Leopard hunting with hounds is a team effort. Photo of the 11 people (from 3 different countries) who participated including the Professional Hunter(s), houndsmen, bushmen trackers, the Botswana Game Ranger, a few of the numerous hounds, and least importantly, the hunter.

Full Hunt report and more photos forthcoming after I recover from the trip. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

Reminds me of all my reads of Capstick adventures!

What’s your top goal? I want you to think about this. Really challenge yourself to pick the 1. I could talk about my knees, killing a mature mule deer buck, harvesting a critter on my new property.

My long term goal has been termed the Hamm Slam. This goal specifically is to harvest mature big game on my land in Montana; elk, whitetail, mule deer, and finally a moose. That last one will take a minute.

The challenge is to narrow it down to the most critical goal for this season, but I’ve got it. I want to kill a bull this year. When I lived back in Montana 20 years ago I killed a bull nearly every year, but life changed that. I moved to Washington, and my goals shifted. I was in a seriously shitty relationship that gradually nearly eliminated all my hobbies. My opportunities and time became limited, so I focused on what I had. That was time and opportunity to hunt deer. I haven‘t killed a bull in 22 years, and I’ve killed 9.

I am hunting Washington archery elk, and all seasons in Montana. The dream would be to kill a bull with my bow, but I’ll be stoked to harvest any bull at all this year. My actions will be to get out every moment I can and hunt hard. I’ll also be learning a ton. Currently I’m shooting at least every other day, and 3D shooting a minimum of 3 times a week at Spokane Valley Archery. I am also listening to loads of podcasts and calling my brains out in my truck.

I’ll try to keep you guys updated, and look forward to you doing the same!
To nail a doe antelope with an arrow this Thursday.

1. Get back on the train of shooting an antelope with my bow. Last year was the first in 6 years I didn't kill a goat with the bow.
2. Shoot a WY mule deer with the bow. I'd like to find a good buck, I'll base my standards on what I am seeing when I get there. I won't just shoot a buck to fill the tag tho, a week chasing deer with a bow is well worth the tag price.
3. Hunt a big bull in MT with the bow. I have a cow tag also, so there is a little incentive here to actually hold out.
4. Help my brother shoot his first bull with his bow. He shot a cow last year, so trying to up the ante here.
5. Find a big buck to hunt in AZ for my draw tag. Just seeing a 180"+ deer would be awesome.
6. Help my family on their respective deer/elk rifle hunts in MT. I need to be productive on my hunts in archery to make this happen.
7. Help my youngest brother find a really nice pronghorn in MT. There is some nice bucks walking around, hopefully we can find one

Update: #1 accomplished...
#2 Check off the list....

Attachments

• IMG_20230912_183709149_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230912_183709149_HDR.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230912_183826501.jpg
    IMG_20230912_183826501.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230912_184015376_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230912_184015376_HDR.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 21
First hunt of the season with the dogs. Cancer survivor Puppy did great. Ellie is a bit sore in right hind leg today but a Remydryl seems to have fixed her up. It was a long walk to jump some sloghs that seem to have mysteriously all dried up even though this year has been so wet the ground cover is like a rain forest. I wonder what happened? Not good when that much wetland disappears. Someone somewhere is pumping the river system dry. It was a nice day for a hike. Saw no geese but lots of ducks. Season is still closed on ducks till the 15th. Wait ... NO! Season on ducks opened the tenth. Well shit. Puppy had fun swimming after a flock of "special needs" teal. They let her get pretty close before taking wing. She LOVES going after ducks that fall on the water. Fortunately, Ellie didn't see what Puppy was up to or she would have wrecked the fun. Ellie was still back with me lost in the jungle. Little dog is twelve years old and still giving it hell. Amazing.
16947172431673903458237239988941.jpg

Main goal here is not to come face to face with any Grizzlies while learning some new areas. Anything more than that will just be icing on the cake. So far, no bears and been on elk 5 of 7 days in the field. I'll take it.

I think you have to make like a dozen posts before you can use the PM function. What is it that you need?
Seriously weird. Greenhorn? Do you have to carry a stick wherever you go? Spikedown seems to be the awkward guy at the bar.

Seriously weird. Greenhorn? Do you have to carry a stick wherever you go? Spikedown seems to be the awkward guy at the bar.
Easy does it. As I understand the Montana regs spike elk are only legal for kids fifteen and under. This poster may truly be a novice well below drinking age.

I talked to another hunter yesterday and he got into a good bull on the opener. After viewing the low quality video footage he had there I am at least 75% chance that it was the bull I took the picture of last winter. Unfortunately he made a poor shot and drew some blood, but hopefully the wound is not live threatening. He saw the bull the next day and the bull was unaffected by the wound. I have yet to see the bull and I suspect that now that the rut is on he is where I can not hunt.

I think you have to make like a dozen posts before you can use the PM function. What is it that you need?
Shoot dang. I was gonna PM you about MT archery/rifle hunting. I just got placed in helena for the military. I’m here for a couple months but having a hard time figuring out goods spots to go.

Back