PEAX Equipment

What is your single top hunting season goal this year? I expect updates damn it.

Get my little Fr Britt through one more hunting season. Back in January a vet hospital in Minneapolis removed a cancer tumor the size of a softball from deep in her abdomen. Long term prognosis was not good but she's doing great. At age twelve she's got more energy than most six year-old dogs.
20230426_163408.jpg

Got pebbles out to dads on Tuesday. Took the pheasant scent with and the trainer.

Drug the trainer through the yard and hid the dummy in some underbrush. Dad has a place in the country with about 1 1/2 acres of grass he just doesn’t cut.

The first time, she got on the trail and found the dummy relatively easy.

The 2nd to 4th time, I crossed the paths several times and hid the dummy in areas no less that 50-100 feet away and in anything from small clumps of grass to small groups of underbrush.

Each time, she’s get put in the house and the bathroom so she couldn’t see where I went with it.

Success every time.

I’m getting excited with her.
IMG_9887.jpeg

I got OnX Hunt as well. As much because my employer uses it too. Both for work and hunting. Been scouting with it and it’s amazing the amount of places I can go. Lot of public land folks around here didn’t realize were public land and we can hunt it.

Hopefully I can get the new shotgun out and patterned.
IMG_6956.jpeg

What’s your top goal? I want you to think about this. Really challenge yourself to pick the 1. I could talk about my knees, killing a mature mule deer buck, harvesting a critter on my new property.

My long term goal has been termed the Hamm Slam. This goal specifically is to harvest mature big game on my land in Montana; elk, whitetail, mule deer, and finally a moose. That last one will take a minute.

The challenge is to narrow it down to the most critical goal for this season, but I’ve got it. I want to kill a bull this year. When I lived back in Montana 20 years ago I killed a bull nearly every year, but life changed that. I moved to Washington, and my goals shifted. I was in a seriously shitty relationship that gradually nearly eliminated all my hobbies. My opportunities and time became limited, so I focused on what I had. That was time and opportunity to hunt deer. I haven‘t killed a bull in 22 years, and I’ve killed 9.

I am hunting Washington archery elk, and all seasons in Montana. The dream would be to kill a bull with my bow, but I’ll be stoked to harvest any bull at all this year. My actions will be to get out every moment I can and hunt hard. I’ll also be learning a ton. Currently I’m shooting at least every other day, and 3D shooting a minimum of 3 times a week at Spokane Valley Archery. I am also listening to loads of podcasts and calling my brains out in my truck.

I’ll try to keep you guys updated, and look forward to you doing the same!

Checking in, per request...
848202DA-CE4D-48AC-BBB6-591ECE9EF038.jpeg

Attachments

• 32D93A35-1EC0-47F3-BDF2-E3F5E83547F5.jpeg
    9.7 MB · Views: 14
Got pebbles out to dads on Tuesday. Took the pheasant scent with and the trainer.

Drug the trainer through the yard and hid the dummy in some underbrush. Dad has a place in the country with about 1 1/2 acres of grass he just doesn’t cut.

The first time, she got on the trail and found the dummy relatively easy.

The 2nd to 4th time, I crossed the paths several times and hid the dummy in areas no less that 50-100 feet away and in anything from small clumps of grass to small groups of underbrush.

Each time, she’s get put in the house and the bathroom so she couldn’t see where I went with it.

Success every time.

I’m getting excited with her.
View attachment 291053

I got OnX Hunt as well. As much because my employer uses it too. Both for work and hunting. Been scouting with it and it’s amazing the amount of places I can go. Lot of public land folks around here didn’t realize were public land and we can hunt it.

Hopefully I can get the new shotgun out and patterned.
View attachment 291054
That's some heavy duty collar. Training her to pull a plow too? 😉

That's some heavy duty collar. Training her to pull a plow too? 😉
It’s and orange reflective safety collar I have here where when on the road in the semi.

I can’t find the thing anywhere either and need to find a replacement.

Brown dog disappears at night and this makes her more visible. Truck drivers are idiots. But they seem to get smart when you put reflective safety material on things.

IMG_8537.jpegIMG_7366.jpeg

It’s the same material that the IS Army uses in their PT belts.

Last edited:
It’s and orange reflective safety collar I have here where when on the road in the semi.

Brown dog disappears at night and this makes her more visible. Truck drivers are idiots. But they seem to get smart when you put reflective safety material on things.

View attachment 291223View attachment 291224

Great idea! My first Lab, also chocolate, was run over and killed at night.

I had a CDL for a while so not all truckers idiots ... but it's a fair enough generalization. :D

View attachment 291223View attachment 291224

Check Gun Dog Supply on line. They have just about everything.

I only have two real goals:

Kill a bull elk and help my wife get a bigger mule deer buck this year than she did the last time she drew the tag she has

Awesome! The second is a goal for me. I want to start killing more mature animals. Out here in WA they’re hard to find. Well, they are hard to find in general as we know. I want to kill a more mature deer. I saw a toad whitetail this last weekend that would do, and my mule deer spot has a few more mature bucks that usual. I’d love to kill a +4 year old deer. The season is so damn short it activates my anxiety.

What’s your top goal? I want you to think about this. Really challenge yourself to pick the 1. I could talk about my knees, killing a mature mule deer buck, harvesting a critter on my new property.

My long term goal has been termed the Hamm Slam. This goal specifically is to harvest mature big game on my land in Montana; elk, whitetail, mule deer, and finally a moose. That last one will take a minute.

The challenge is to narrow it down to the most critical goal for this season, but I’ve got it. I want to kill a bull this year. When I lived back in Montana 20 years ago I killed a bull nearly every year, but life changed that. I moved to Washington, and my goals shifted. I was in a seriously shitty relationship that gradually nearly eliminated all my hobbies. My opportunities and time became limited, so I focused on what I had. That was time and opportunity to hunt deer. I haven‘t killed a bull in 22 years, and I’ve killed 9.

I am hunting Washington archery elk, and all seasons in Montana. The dream would be to kill a bull with my bow, but I’ll be stoked to harvest any bull at all this year. My actions will be to get out every moment I can and hunt hard. I’ll also be learning a ton. Currently I’m shooting at least every other day, and 3D shooting a minimum of 3 times a week at Spokane Valley Archery. I am also listening to loads of podcasts and calling my brains out in my truck.

I’ll try to keep you guys updated, and look forward to you doing the same!
Get my first bull. Mostly hunted for cow elk but never got a bull before.

Recycling my goal from last year since the ACL rebuild kept me from even attempting it. Trying archery for the first time this year, and inherited that sweet lever action last year. Goal is to kill my first animal with either of those weapons.
Updates as requested:
Took my bow out four days this week. Had this little dork at 20 yards Day 1. Still sporting spots.

IMG_9888.jpeg

Had a doe at 42 but no shot and a little farther than I’m comfortable with at this point anyway. Had a coyote come by me at 30 yards but there was too much brush. So nothing has died. My strategy thus far is less spot and stalk, more spot and spook 😂

Updates as requested:
Took my bow out four days this week. Had this little dork at 20 yards Day 1. Still sporting spots.

View attachment 291472

Had a doe at 42 but no shot and a little farther than I’m comfortable with at this point anyway. Had a coyote come by me at 30 yards but there was too much brush. So nothing has died. My strategy thus far is less spot and stalk, more spot and spook 😂
At least you're having fun!

Back