Yeti GOBOX Collection

What is the preferred window to plan a spot and stalk spring bear hunt for in Idaho? I want a mountable bear.

Is moon phase an important variable when timing a spring bear hunt?
I’ve never really noticed a correlation between moon phase and activity levels.

In the spring they’re so macrophagic, especially fresh from sleep, that they eat, and only eat, for a good month… then it’s time for baby makin’.

I've actually read that upon first exiting hibernation they eat but can't eat as much at one time, then after a certain amount of time they start really gorging themselves. Thought that was interesting.

Your going to have a harder time finding a big bear than a rubbed bear, espically if your looking for s specfic color.
I see much more color phase than black. Lots of color variations of brown and the occasional blonde. Finding a big one is similar to all other big game species. They are out there if you look and are lucky.

Kids bears are chocolate and blonde. Blonde was little but it was the color my daughter wanted. Chocolate bear was big.

Attachments

• A5CE771E-7BCC-4705-B077-0E5BC4EF83BE.jpeg
    A5CE771E-7BCC-4705-B077-0E5BC4EF83BE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 0B1B079B-6D87-4C9C-AB7B-D84EC4C94BC6.jpeg
    0B1B079B-6D87-4C9C-AB7B-D84EC4C94BC6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
I see much more color phase than black. Lots of color variations of brown and the occasional blonde. Finding a big one is similar to all other big game species. They are out there if you look and are lucky.

Kids bears are chocolate and blonde. Blonde was little but it was the color my daughter wanted. Chocolate bear was big.
Great bears brymoore. Seems like a large blonde is probably the rarest bear? That chocolate is certainly a nice bear as well

Great bears brymoore. Seems like a large blonde is probably the rarest bear? That chocolate is certainly a nice bear as well
I got more chocolate bears than Hershey's, its the big blondes that i struggle with (except in bars). Over the last 2 hunting spring seasons i have probably seen 20 blondes all smallish, me and buddy have theory they darken/chocolate up as they get old (biologist said no) but dont understand why we dont see older ones and see a lot of bears. This one we watched last year and debated about shooting cause so pretty my buddy decided he wanted it so went back next day and took him. Pretty bear but i never can bring myself to shot sub 6' bears. My buddy has new rug and is happy so good for him. This year target is monster jet black i been watching for couple years or a 6' blonde if i can find one.. this is what makes bear hunting fun

Attachments

• KIMG2186.JPG
    KIMG2186.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
I can only speak from one season of bear hunting experience in Idaho... so take my input with a grain of salt! I hunted a unit in the western portion of the state last season from May 16th-27th. We were definitely able to access areas with a 4x4 truck that held bears. I believe the snowline was around 6500 ft if my memory serves me correctly. During our hunt we ran into three bears. A jet black bear which we were able to get, a blonde phase, and a chocolate brown color phase. The chocolate bear lumbered down a ridge top to about 15 yards away and we had a bit of a stand off lol... my buddy who still hadn't punched his tag was a couple hundred yards away so we couldn't capitalize on that situation. All of their hides seemed to be in decent to good condition. I would have liked to have glassed up a couple more but I'll blame that on my inexperience as a Idaho bear hunter rather than the time frame of my hunt.

So based off of last year the hides I saw seemed fine during the later half of May. Regardless of if you find the bear you are looking for or not you'll have a great hunt that time of year. Burn some boot leather and spend the long days behind glass. Best of luck, keep us updated. IMG_5922.jpg!IMG_4478.jpg

Thanks Rob, are wolves pretty much everywhere in the state and am I wrong assuming there would be more farther North
I hunted Elk in the Island Park Zone for eight years. There were a lot of wolves in the area. In eight years, I saw seven in one year before there was a season for them, five of them together. Those were the only I saw during that time. Twice I had wolves respond to my cow calls, but never saw them. They are an elusive creature and can travel twenty miles in a day. I'd focus on your bear hunt.

Back