What is the preferred window to plan a spot and stalk spring bear hunt for in Idaho? I want a mountable bear.

Sharp stick

I am wanting to get a good bear rug that has not gotten too rubbed up yet but since I will likely only have 5-7 days to hunt I am hesitant to start right at the opener when many bears might not be out and about yet. There is also the possibility of deep snow in places. Waiting too late and they might begin to rub spots of fur off. Looking at hunting somewhere in the southern half of Idaho.

If this was hunting deer during rut it would be easier to select a week. Not so easy with black bear and mother nature plays a big part in how this plays out

If you see a bear or two in a week of hunting and they're both 4' long, the fact that they're not rubbed is kind of irrelevant IMO. I would suggest focusing on how to look over quite a few bears, and then just don't shoot one that's rubbed.

I see bears from the opener to the closing date. Location and tactics change as the bears work up the mountains eating grass/onions which turns into rut stuff in June.

I have a high school friend flying to my house to hunt bears this year. We chatted and decided on the third week of May for several reasons. Nice weather, snow should be melted enough high to allow vehicle access, Turkey hunting and a few other things.

I wouldn’t mind getting a poke at a Wolf as well. Any areas in particular that have too many wolves and a good population of black bears as well?

I wouldn’t mind getting a poke at a Wolf as well. Any areas in particular that have too many wolves and a good population of black bears as well?
I've already investigated this question

Don't reroute your bear hunt for a wolf, if you see one it's probably luck anyway so I'd just focus on getting on bears

Thanks Rob, are wolves pretty much everywhere in the state and am I wrong assuming there would be more farther North

Thanks Rob, are wolves pretty much everywhere in the state and am I wrong assuming there would be more farther North
I'm not sure, I just base my answer off knowing that incidental wolf kills are more luck than anything because they're sneaky and mobile and the vast majority of hunters don't see them unless they put in major woods time

Not from MT but been researching all things spring bear and thats the conclusion I've come to

Even when I’m specifically looking for wolves it’s pretty much just a function of being in the right place at the right time. I wouldn’t give wolves a second thought during your bear hunt unless you happen to have one run in front of you.

Good info, if in an area that wolf season is still open in I will be sure to pick up a wolf tag just in case I get the opportunity. Sound like a lot of luck involved just getting close enough to one though.

If you cross reference the wolf and bear harvest stats you'll see the highest numbers in North Idaho. Reduced price tags in some of the units as well. But not great spot and stalk terrain/vegetation. But as others said, wolves would likely be incidental anywhere in the state.

I used to do a lot of bear hunting during Idaho’s spring season. My best luck has been hunting right below the snow line as the snow melts up the mountain. The bears love the fresh grass. Since conditions change every year, that sort of makes the “best” week a moving target. Too early and a lot of bears aren’t out and there are big access issues. Too late and there is grass everywhere (so the bears could be anywhere) and a lot of bears are rubbed. With that said, the end of May would likely be the week I would pick if I had to plan a trip this far in advance. However, there will still be access issues in some places due to snow.

I used to do a lot of bear hunting during Idaho’s spring season. My best luck has been hunting right below the snow line as the snow melts up the mountain. The bears love the fresh grass. Since conditions change every year, that sort of makes the “best” week a moving target. Too early and a lot of bears aren’t out and there are big access issues. Too late and there is grass everywhere (so the bears could be anywhere) and a lot of bears are rubbed. With that said, the end of May would likely be the week I would pick if I had to plan a trip this far in advance. However, there will still be access issues in some places due to snow.
Probably going to concentrate my efforts on the Southern part of the state due to possible conflict of schedule at the end of the month. Hopefully enough snow will have been melted off by the time I go. Early to mid May are my most likely options for now. When do bears begin their breeding season?

My late May recommendation was based on my experience in North Idaho. The best time farther south could very well be earlier. Although I have seen some mating behavior in May, I think June and early July is when they are at it the most.

I hunt later in May in Idaho. I've taken some great bears. But I have seen quite a few that were pretty rubbed! I pick my date based on weather.... Pick your poison?

Your going to have a harder time finding a big bear than a rubbed bear, espically if your looking for s specfic color.

I’m probably asking for too much if I say
I’m looking for a large preferably color phase Bear that isn’t rubbed up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back