Caribou Gear Tarp

What is the most bears you have seen in 1 night?

~24/25 really hard to know if some were doubles or not, at one point 15 different bears were visible. I made a stalk on one bear, on the way bumped another, which got up ran and bumped a mom and two cubs that were bedded which in turn caused the bear I was stalking to make a break for it....

Ahhhh the good ole domino effect, gotta love that one ha!

Man, I need to follow some of you guys out to your glassing point. He most I ever saw was 4 and 3 of those were a sow with 2 cubs.

I'm with Brian, here in the dense forests of western Oregon your lucky to see even one. The most I've seen in one day was 5 and three of those was a sow cub combo and the only reason I saw those bear is because someone had killed an elk across the canyon from our camp and the bears were feeding on the gut pile. The most interesting though, was one day while working we heard something moving along the hillside below us. It turned out to be three bears walking single file through the oaks like they were on a mission. They were good size, maybe 250 to 300 lbs. all identical. They had to be triplets. They had dark chocolate heads, necks and legs that blended into a cinnamon body. Really pretty bears.

When I was logging on POW in Alaska we would go to the Craig landfill at night with a six pack and watch bears. Don't know how many there were at any given time but it was an adventure to get out of the truck and take a leak.

One night backpacking I could see 12 from my tent before bed. But I wasn't bear hunting and didn't have a gun. How close have people gotten? I've had two under 2 feet. On poked his head in my tent and another (young one) actually walked between my partner and I while we were assessing aerial photos for some forestry work. He jetted once he got just past my knee and my partner said "hey bear?"

8, but it was at the little county dump my grandpa ran. The County would not pay for lids for the dumpsters so it was feeding time as soon as he would close the gate. We would go back up in the evening and watch all the bears. Not exactly in their natural environment, but still pretty cool for a young kid obsessed with hunting and wildlife.

One night backpacking I could see 12 from my tent before bed. But I wasn't bear hunting and didn't have a gun. How close have people gotten? I've had two under 2 feet. On poked his head in my tent and another (young one) actually walked between my partner and I while we were assessing aerial photos for some forestry work. He jetted once he got just past my knee and my partner said "hey bear?"

My buddy clocked one in Bozeman, we were MT biking and the bear was sitting on the trail on a blind corner. I ended up slamming on my brakes and endo-ing into my buddy... the three of us just kinda looked at each other for a bit in shock.

My buddy clocked one in Bozeman, we were MT biking and the bear was sitting on the trail on a blind corner. I ended up slamming on my brakes and endo-ing into my buddy... the three of us just kinda looked at each other for a bit in shock.
That's funny my co-worker has hit one on a mt bike too. Like a deer crossing the highway the bear picked the wrong time to cross the trail. Bear got spun and tumbled downhill my coworker endo-ed but was fine. No one else saw the bear so we kept making fun of him for crashing, until at the truck he pulled off a wad of black hair off the front forks.

When I was about 14 or 15 I was sneaking up on an old dump site where the FS dumped all the campground garbage from the district. I heard something rustling in the brush and assumed it was a deer so I had my kodak instamatic camera all set and ready to get a snapshot. All of a sudden a bear, a good 80 pounder at least, shot out of the brush within 3 feet of me. I didn't get the shot.
The scariest though was when I was hiking along an old road that had been converted to a hiking trail. There was an old cabin site just above the trail. The cabin was long gone but there was an old apple tree that had fallen but was still rooted and growing. I looked up and saw a huge bear, At least 500 lbs. maybe bigger, checking out the tree. I watched him until he walked off behind some blackberry bushes. What I didn't realize was that those blackberry bushes were hiding the old cabin road that intersected the road I was on. So when I reached that intersection there he was no more than 15 ft. away. Man that guy was big! He just stood there looking at me like he was annoyed that I was in his way. I was armed with the stick I had picked up to use as a walking stick so how much danger was I really in, right? The first thing that went through my head was that they say to look big and intimidating. But then I thought, this guy knows he's the biggest, meanest M.F. in the county so he might just take that as a challenge. I nixed that idea quick. So I just said "Well what do we do now?" He slowly turned his head then bolted off back up the road and out of site. That worked for me just fine.

Reviving this highly entertaining thread. No huge numbers to report for me…onesy-twosy stuff. Clearly I need some better hunting spots!
My silliest bear story is in high school I went to the zoo in Gentry Arkansas and on a dare stuck my hand through a fence and was bitten by a cub
Since then, “bitten by a bear” was always my ace in the hole when playing two truths and a lie

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back