Yeti GOBOX Collection

What is the most bears you have seen in 1 night?

Hard to say per one night ... or day. I worked one season as a ranger at Katmai National Park and that year there was eighty different grizzlies in camp. I once counted more than thirty at the falls at the same time. I think the record was more than fifty at once. So thick it's hard to count them.

Another tell on my hunting prowess. The first time I took my wife hunting in the mountains with me, so I was still trying to prove I was a modern day Daniel Boone. We get the spotter setup and almost immediately I spot a sow and 2 cubs about 5 miles away. I have her look through the spotter, chest puffed out as the worlds best glasser. Then another bear! Then 5 then 10, all in a group. Then it dawned on me it was cattle. I’m closer to Napoleon Dynamite then I am Daniel Boone.

Another tell on my hunting prowess. The first time I took my wife hunting in the mountains with me, so I was still trying to prove I was a modern day Daniel Boone. We get the spotter setup and almost immediately I spot a sow and 2 cubs about 5 miles away. I have her look through the spotter, chest puffed out as the worlds best glasser. Then another bear! Then 5 then 10, all in a group. Then it dawned on me it was cattle. I’m closer to Napoleon Dynamite then I am Daniel Boone.
I did that too, but called it a moose.
"Man, why won't he lift his head for a minute. "

Alaska, back in the day stalking bears on the streams, 10-15 a night all less than 50yds some as close as 5 yds. I miss those days.

You were never treated to bear sightings like the good ol’ days around West Yellowstone. Every evening the local garbage dump would fill up like a drive in theater to watch the bears dig through the debris.

On any given night, you would see at least a dozen, and most were grizzlies.

You were never treated to bear sightings like the good ol’ days around West Yellowstone. Every evening the local garbage dump would fill up like a drive in theater to watch the bears dig through the debris.

On any given night, you would see at least a dozen, and most were grizzlies.
I don't understand, why would anyone go there to see that?

Bears are incredibly awesome creatures, that embody the raw power of the wilds. To see them in a garbage dump, a place where we humans have destroyed the natural world then placed our societal waste, the things we see the least value in, would be sacrilegious. Even a zoo would be better, and I despise zoos.

I don't understand, why would anyone go there to see that?

Bears are incredibly awesome creatures, that embody the raw power of the wilds. To see them in a garbage dump, a place where we humans have destroyed the natural world then placed our societal waste, the things we see the least value in, would be sacrilegious. Even a zoo would be better, and I despise zoos.
What you don’t understand is what the attraction to bears was in the 1960’s. People came to Yellowstone for all of it’s natural wonders, but many were interested in bears.

I worked in a grocery store and had tourists all summer buying treats to feed the bears, even though it was discouraged.

The spectacle of bears in the dump was much more than the bears…

3ADABB66-3CC3-4A54-9511-D9730A30524C.jpeg

Won’t even begin to say how many “stumps” I’ve contemplated a stalk on…friggin old burns🤦🏼
When I was a kid black bears were considered varmints, not game animals and they really didn't get much respect. I read an article in a magazine about bear hunting by an author who basically said that they were too easy to hunt to be much fun. At one point he said that bears were the only thing in the woods that was black so all you had to do was spot something black and shoot it. I always wondered how many burned stumps and black angus were shot because of that article.

What you don’t understand is what the attraction to bears was in the 1960’s. People came to Yellowstone for all of it’s natural wonders, but many were interested in bears.

I worked in a grocery store and had tourists all summer buying treats to feed the bears, even though it was discouraged.

The spectacle of bears in the dump was much more than the bears…

View attachment 215472
I think the point is that this was very clearly a bad thing that created habituated bears. That isn’t good for anyone.

In the Tetons a few years ago my wife and I saw 7 black bears in an afternoon while out on a hike. Late summer when the huckleberries were in full bloom and they were going nuts. I saw 3 grizzlies on a different hike not far away. Then almost hit one on my drive home from said hike!

Bears are an amazing animal. Though I’ve only shot a few, they fascinate the hell out of me.

25+ years old, think of the stories this guy coulda told!
View attachment 215475
That's wild, old bears are incredible. The double we had that night we knew both the bears were pretty old after we checked their jaws out. Turns out one was 17 and the other was 14. Pretty wild

Only three in British Columbia, but they were all grizzllies and were right next me while I was in my sleeping bag on the ground with no tent.

You guys run into alot of bears. Around here, the question would be "what's the most you've seen in a year?" And if the answer was more than 1 or 2, you saw alot. And, that's not because there aren't alot of bears.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back