Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What is the most bears you have seen in 1 night?

Elkwhisper

Set a personal record of laying eyes on 16 different bears last night..... in Montana. Hunting Alaska and Canada I have seen as many a 10 in a day, but last night was epic. Assuming it was a combination of a great spot with very limited access, and the first nice day after some cruddy weather. Literally couldn't glass for more than 20 minutes without turning up another bear. Granted there are some cubs and small bears in our tally, but talk about an action packed night. Hoping to get back out at least one more time before the clock runs out. I am having as much or more fun now, than I did with a tag in my pocket.

Would be curious to hear what your personal record for number of sightings in a day is?

~24/25 really hard to know if some were doubles or not, at one point 15 different bears were visible. I made a stalk on one bear, on the way bumped another, which got up ran and bumped a mom and two cubs that were bedded which in turn caused the bear I was stalking to make a break for it....

Found 9 black bears from one glassing spot on the Kenai Peninsula before choosing one (probably would have seen more if we kept looking instead of moving in for a kill). We glassed up a female with rubbed nipples and no cubs that looked very lost that morning. So we probably would have seen 2-3 more with her a couple days earlier! Very hot day in late May day; probably over 70 degrees and clear that day.

Most grizzlies I've seen from one spot is 7 on the north side of the Brooks. That was a blue bird day after several days of rain/snow.

When I was a kid, I was tagging along one evening with my dad archery elk and deer hunting in central Montana when the berries were on. We saw seven in one 3 mile loop. My dad was a little nervous and kept me pretty close to him that night.

Set a personal record of laying eyes on 16 different bears last night..... in Montana. Hunting Alaska and Canada I have seen as many a 10 in a day, but last night was epic. Assuming it was a combination of a great spot with very limited access, and the first nice day after some cruddy weather. Literally couldn't glass for more than 20 minutes without turning up another bear. Granted there are some cubs and small bears in our tally, but talk about an action packed night. Hoping to get back out at least one more time before the clock runs out. I am having as much or more fun now, than I did with a tag in my pocket.

Would be curious to hear what your personal record for number of sightings in a day is?

That sounds like an epic night for sure!!

I was mt. goat hunting on Kodiak a couple years back and was looking over a valley with a salmon stream running down it. At one point I could see 14 different brown bears. Pretty fun to watch.

That sounds like an epic night for sure!!

I was mt. goat hunting on Kodiak a couple years back and was looking over a valley with a salmon stream running down it. At one point I could see 14 different brown bears. Pretty fun to watch.
Good point..... I forgot about my trip to Kodiak for goat. As the sun sank and I climbed into my bivy sack.. a.ka. "The bear burrito", I could see pretty close to 16 bears on the streams on either side of the ridge we camped on.

7 Alaska interior brown bears - nice clear day
4 Virginia when hiking
Have seen a single bear I think 7 other times, and that's it: VA, ME, WI, MN, TE x2, BC (grizzly)

8 in NE Louisiana over a 26 hour period. I slept about 8 of those hours. There is no season on them.

~24/25 really hard to know if some were doubles or not, at one point 15 different bears were visible. I made a stalk on one bear, on the way bumped another, which got up ran and bumped a mom and two cubs that were bedded which in turn caused the bear I was stalking to make a break for it....

I can just see this playing out, "crap, hope he doesn't bump.... where did those three come from.... gosh dangit!"

Back