What is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
idk who this guy is, but I hiked the r2r a few years ago and I thought it was pretty cool.
I think one of the things to remember based on my experiences and those of other folks who have spent more time down there than me is that the actual river to river trail is kinda like the interstate and you really have to get off the exits to see the cool stuff ie garden of the gods, Jackson falls and several of the caves and bluffs.
with that being said, the trail immediately west of the garden of the gods parking lot has some awesome dispersed campsites up on the bluffs that provide some pretty sweet views.
Lusk creek wilderness is really big and has some cool climbs and bluffs.
After being in arches np in Moab a few weeks ago, I was pretty surprised to see how many cool natural arches we have down there.
If I was going to do it again, id prob do it in January or early February so that I had no risk of it being 75-80 degrees because those days sucked.
I hate being hot.
of course, you could also just slow down and not try to do 20+ miles a day, but as an rs member, I was going for the fkt. :cool:
But overall, it was a really cool experience.
Shotgun Eddys breakfast is the Chit.
He's a professional troll/cat guy. No offense to cats.

garden of the gods, Jackson falls and several of the caves and bluffs
Garden of the gods I awesome. Never been to Jackson falls but you were right there by burden falls and Indian kitchen both are definitely worth exploring if you get the chance.

Alaskan natives have been using 223s on caribou for years with brainshots because they're trying to save as much meat as possible. I'm in the same boat, except I use fast monos in the boiler room to save meat. Not hard to find a deer that runs off (if it does) where I hunt.
They're not worried about how much meat they lose in the process of downing an animal.

They use 223s because they are cheap to shoot, and can buy semi-autos with 50round mags. Its an absolute shit show when the caribou show up near villages. They aren't trying to save meat, they are trying to kill as many as they can. Kind of like when the natives used to run 100s of bison of a cliff. They're in it for the meat.

I actually find it really interesting that people can't look at data objectively and come to a logical conclusion. How many times have people here thrown out a recommendation for a 7-08 or 308 and will then turn around and bash a 6.5 or 6mm. Is there really that much difference between them? And to top it off, nobody talks about bullet construction. It appears that we sometimes forget to apply some simple logic in the hunting space

They're not worried about how much meat they lose in the process of downing an animal.

They use 223s because they are cheap to shoot, and can buy semi-autos with 50round mags. Its an absolute shit show when the caribou show up near villages. They aren't trying to save meat, they are trying to kill as many as they can. Kind of like when the natives used to run 100s of bison of a cliff. They're in it for the meat.
Fair enough. I had thought they were using bolt guns and shooting in the head as that is how I learned it. Thanks for enlightening me.

I use match bullets in my 223 and my 6.5 and they perform very, very well on Texas sized deer and hogs. All my biggest deer have been killed with a 243 and Sierra game kings. I’ve killed a few deer using 308 and 165gr SST.

I bought a 7 mag to hunt elk with because I’m new to elk and hunting the mountains.

Use what rifle and caliber you are comfortable with, that you can put the bullet where you want it when you want it.

Bullets have more to do with the performance than the caliber commonly will. Look at what karajomo Bell used to kill elephants way back when. He was limited to heads manufactured back than.
I noticed some here are saying so simply by guessing, having seen no one try and with certainly no experience there There’s also the consideration of effective range of us and the weapon.
My buddy just went moose hunting a bunch of knuckleheads think a .270 is too small for that too. It’s not
I can’t say I’d used match type bullets on game but that I’ve personally never tried or seen done so I can’t reply to that but a hole in the vitals is a hole in the vitals.

Ethics are more about the proper use of whatever your using to kill any animal. Lots of tools will ethically kill any animal but not at all ranges or in all conditions. The question should be “at what range and with what bullet would you shoot a large animal with a 243 to make an ethical kill. “ That way we educate and learn and don't end up pitting hunters against each other.

My Wife killed a pile of elk with her BLR in .243. She even bought it with her summer job money when she was 16. I offered to buy her a BLR in the more appropriate 308 and got that angry Wife look and let it be.

How many has she wounded that she would have killed and found had she been using a .308 instead?

How many has she wounded that she would have killed and found had she been using a .308 instead?
How many would a 308 round wound that a 338 mighta got? Thats the same thing bud. Let me ask this? Is a good effective range, accurate shot, at an animal, using the correct bullet better than a 308 not so good one? Bullet and shot placement matters more than the caliber within reason. Don’t assume she was sloppy

How many would a 308 round wound that a 338 mighta got? Thats the same thing bud. Let me ask this? Is a good effective range, accurate shot, at an animal, using the correct bullet better than a 308 not so good one? Bullet and shot placement matters more than the caliber within reason. Don’t assume she was sloppy

I wasn't making the assumption that she would have recovered more with a .308 than she did with a .243.

Your point was the point I was trying to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back