What is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubz337

Why does Rokslide all of a sudden think that a .243 can be an elk gun? Why are they all about using match bullets on game? Where did this thinking come from? Does anyone here agree with any of this? I get bullet technology has advanced and elk shoulders are not actually made of titanium like some think, but that caliber choice seems pretty unethical to me.

Why does Rokslide all of a sudden think that a .243 can be an elk gun? Why are they all about using match bullets on game? Where did this thinking come from? Does anyone here agree with any of this? I get bullet technology has advanced and elk shoulders are not actually made of titanium like some think, but that caliber choice seems pretty unethical to me.
.243 aside argument aside, I've read and seen enough first-hand to really like match bullet performance on game. Absolutely shreds the boiler room.

.243 aside argument aside, I've read and seen enough first-hand to really like match bullet performance on game. Absolutely shreds the boiler room.
If i was reloading, I could see tryng it, but just buying match factory ammo for hunting seems like a really bad idea to me.

Some match bullets are adequately lethal and have a consistent track record. Lighter recoiling cartridges typically result in a quicker follow up, better sight picture on hits, and most people shoot them better. Those are objective facts. Whether you think that's worth any trade offs or not is up to you.

If you actually want to know why, that's why. If you just want to stir the pot then I"m sure this will drag on for a while.

Some match bullets are adequately lethal and have a consistent track record. Lighter recoiling cartridges typically result in a quicker follow up, better sight picture on hits, and most people shoot them better. Those are objective facts. Whether you think that's worth any trade offs or not is up to you.

If you actually want to know why, that's why. If you just want to stir the pot then I"m sure this will drag on for a while.
Match bullets aside. So you would shoot a moose/elk with a .243 and feel good about it?

The question for me is- why use them?
For example are you a full sized capable adult? Then why 243 vs say 6.5 creedmoor or 7 08 for elk?
I bought a 6mm creed for my sons first rifle. Would I let him shoot it at elk? Yes but only with an appropriate bullet and if it gives him the best chance at a clean kill in the given situation. Such as he can't accurately shoot the next step up in cartridge.

Match bullets aside. So you would shoot a moose/elk with a .243 and feel good about it?
243?? That’s big according to some of those guys, 223 is pretty popular. Those match bullets (tmk) are nasty, but also not gentle on meat.

Is it ideal, not for me. I have seen guys with a 30 caliber magnum that are paper plate accurate at 100 yards, if they can drill holes with the 243 it’s a better choice. You just have to recognize that shots need to be limited (broadside) and manage your range.

They are definitely all in love with the .223 and a 77 grain TMK for everything up to and including Moose.

They have lots of pics & first hand experience to back up the claims though, I have some 77 TMK’s and might try some on whitetails next season but I’ll stick to 30 caliber heavies for elk.

They are definitely all in love with the .223 and a 77 grain TMK for everything up to and including Moose.

They have lots of pics & first hand experience to back up the claims though, I have some 77 TMK’s and might try some on whitetails next season but I’ll stick to 30 caliber heavies for elk.
It's become liken to a D measurement contest of who can kill with the smallest caliber.

Odd to lump elk in with moose, and it's not really "bullets aside" because that would make the difference in the answer.

A destructive projectile penetrating into and through vitals is just that. No need to overcomplicate. If something doesn't have enough horsepower, obviously not a good choice. People get real wound up about this stuff. The best hunters I know don't; some shoot "light" chamberings, some don't.

The 12 y/o kid i took out opener dumped his first bull at 225 yards with his Ruger .243. One shot, right in the boiler maker.

Tim Wells kills stuff with Blow Gun Darts. Anything is possible.....

5.4.3.2 1......... in comes Buzz with about 15 dead elk taken with a .243

Yes I’d be grinning from ear to ear about it. Mainly because I wouldn’t shoot it outside of the rifle’s capabilities. I folded the moose up in my avatar with a 6.5 at 550 yards with a match bullet. He was down before I had the second round racked in the gun

The 12 y/o kid i took out opener dumped his first bull at 225 yards with his Ruger .243. One shot, right in the boiler maker.

Tim Wells kills stuff with Blow Gun Darts. Anything is possible.....

5.4.3.2 1......... in comes Buzz with about 15 dead elk taken with a .243
You can’t kill elk with a .243…..

Everyone who’s had a junior hunter since 1960… huh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back