PEAX Equipment

what is a guide ????????

This subject is important to me, as after hearing about some "guides" in my area that charge outstanding prices to sit in a blind on a field, looking at a pile of apples and hoping an elk would wander by I decided to start my own "guide" service.
I offered to provide comfortable sleeping accommodations, great food, and drag them out in the woods with me and hunt elk by actually hunting. As I learn about the pressures of operating an outfitting/guide service, one of my concerns is adapting my own personal style of hunting to my clients.
My usual practice is to pack a lunch, park at a gate or trailhead, and hunt all day.
My day is then spent searching for fresh sign, attempting to locate elk by spotting them, or getting a response to calling, and attempting to get close enough for ...a shot.
I like to explore new areas, and look for “treasures” or gain better understanding of my favorite spots.
This usually results in long days and lots of miles under my boots.
I usually get into animals sometime during my adventures, but when I am alone and 5 miles or more from my vehicle when I locate a herd down in some God-forsaken hole, I evaluate how bad I really want to kill an elk.
This would not be an issue if I were not alone.
I like camping, and being in camp, but feel that when elk hunting you should be in the woods, and usually a long ways from other people.
I enjoy putting a few miles between me, and the gate, before daylight in the belief that I will be hunting undisturbed herds and won’t spend all day calling in other hunters.
In my opinion, elk hunting is all about finding elk, and I have the most fun when I find them vocally, I enjoy “just stumbling into” elk, or ANY animal just as much as the next guy, my most memorable moments are usually unrelated to elk, grouse, rabbits, squirrels, bobcats, coyotes, raccoons, etc., but when you get to actually talk to an elk, bull or cow, it adds the “candles” to my cake.
The desire to have someone accompany me on my extended days afield is one of the reasons I decided to begin guiding non-resident hunters, in the belief that those hunters that don’t get to hunt for elk every year, and spending a lot more money for the tags/license will be more apt to put out extra effort, but is this true?

I have a friend that likes to walk out of camp at sunrise, do a little circle within a mile around the camp, and return to have breakfast, spend some time hanging out and relaxing, then explore another area near camp.
He usually gets to see a few animals also, and has an enjoyable trip, but does not call, or really actively hunt for elk, he spends his time just being there, hoping one comes within range.
There have been numerous times when he has located excellent spots near camp where animals travel throughout the day, and been responsible for many entertaining stories of close encounters, I honestly believe he is a better “hunter” than most because animals seem to feel he is not a threat, something he even laughs about, making light of his abilities. ( traditional archers are weird) .
I have another friend that falls in between, he likes to explore a little, then spend the middle of the day in camp, then out a few hours for the evening.
He is concerned about sharing time in camp with his friends, while at the same time willing to travel a little further. He likes to learn new areas, but craves familiarity, seeking comfort in the fact he will be at a certain stump, or rock at a specified time. and is concerned about meeting other members of the group and what they are doing/seeing.
His hunting style is almost a combination of the previous 2 examples, he does some calling, but usually with a cow/calf combination. He uses calls to cover his movements, not for location.
I hunted with some other hunters that knew a patch of timber where the elk moved through on a fairly regular basis, and would push this patch much like a drive, with 8+ guys all working from the road in, parking a truck at the top and bottom of this patch and bouncing the elk between each other. This worked for 3 cows that I know of, out of the same area over the course of a week.
I actually decided to start my service after hearing about an outfitter/guide that operates in Western Washington, offering hunts out of a blind watching a pile of apples on private property. What I heard was very unkind, and bad publicity was the result of several unsuccessful hunts. Sure, those that succeeded in harvesting an animal were happy, but those that did not?
This year, again, I hear a similar story about another service doing the same thing, with the same result, no harvest.
I have nothing against sitting in a blind/stand waiting for an animal, I even have a couple spots where I KNOW that if I sat there all day, I would get a shot, I even plan on setting up a bait/lick for someone that could sit still for long enough to make it happen, but …

I like to “pick them up, and put them down”, I almost “road hunt” on foot.
My day starts by parking at the last place a motorized vehicle is allowed, then getting out and putting a little distance behind me.
I will cover 10+ miles a day, every day, until I locate elk.
I look for sign, listen to every squirrel, bird, and leaf rustle.
I will attempt to make a move on any elk I have located, using any tool at my disposal.
If I do not get a shot, I move on, hoping that I can return for another chance.
I take naps, pick mushrooms, look for sheds…
My day is just that, my day enjoying my time in the woods…

Is an elk harvested way back in the bottom of some hellhole any different than one close to camp or a road?
Is it the hunt, or the harvest ?
If you hunted hard for the whole season without punching your tag, would you feel remorse?
What if you shot a cow on the opener then had to pass on a bull?
Would it matter if you only walked out of camp without a shot, but saw animals and had a good time?

Balancing time spent with friends and family in camp, and hunting is quite a challenge to me. Once you add someone I do not know, with a hunting style all his own, the equation changes…
Does the hunter want to burn through a pair of boots, or just relax in camp?
Is the whole day too much?
I believe that you could hunt in any of these styles and harvest an elk, but what are you after in a hunt? What is your definition of a trophy”?
Is any filled tag what you are after? a record book animal? Would you be happy if you got into animals but did not get a shot?
Do you want to hunt hard, and concentrate on hunting, or share camp time and hope for the best?
Would you be happy if someone in camp got an elk but you did not?
Is hunting way back behind a gate worth missing out on time in camp with friends?
These all need to be taken into consideration before the decision is made on what to do each day.
Because there are no guarantees in hunting, the choices we make can have a major effect on the outcome. My friends come to camp because they enjoy the whole package, food, friendship and camaraderie are a large part of their enjoyment. I have float tubes and fly rods at the lake and a 3D course set up for practice, time in camp is fun, but when you only get a short time to hunt, should "fun" be secondary to harvest ? As I said in post, all styles of hunting have been successful, so it makes little difference one way or the other, but at the end of the trip, would you go home with a sense of satisfaction knowing that you tried your hardest and did not harvest an animal, or have better memories because you enjoyed yourself and just did what you wanted ? As a guide, I feel it is my responsibility to work hard for my client, searching for action, but what if he/she just wants to relax and enjoy the experience hoping action will come to them ? These are things I know I need to discuss with them before season, but many times what I actually want to do changes when the time comes. This season I spent most of my time hanging out with my friends, and had a good time, even got into animals, but wondered what I was missing out on by not hunting behind the gates. Matt hunted on his own behind a gate the first 2 days and harvested a fine bull on the 4th of Sept., but then packed up and drove home on the 5th, happy, successful, and content, but did he miss out on the things that make an elk camp enjoyable ? He did something not many get to do, he harvested a mature Roosevelt Elk with a longbow he made himself, on his own. Now that he has accomplished that, he plans to try something else. To me and my friends, Elk Camp is something we look forward to every year and even when we don't harvest an animal, we still plan on doing it again next and every year, something I think a good guide will instill in his clients.

wyo, Did you ever have a good experience?

Yes. Guided this buck on public land and had to carry it out on my back. Hunter was really cool, from Wichita. I had to explain to him why we parked on the side of the road and had to pack it out because it was public land. I really liked they way the pic turned out.

Had a couple of brothers from CO who wanted to learn to hunt. They were a blast. They gutted and quartered it while I explained each step. They also hunted on public land. They were Irish and drank me under the table for a couple of nights, made the next morning tough.

The outfitter I worked for had a bunch of clients not draw so he bought them leftover tags in 26 where he has little to no access but never told them. He had permission to guide/outfit on public land so I had to guide hunters on public land with all the other DIY hunters and try to make it seem like we were on private. I told the people the truth about what was going on. Even showed them my GPS and map. It was unethical what he did to those people.

Some parts were fun but it made me not hunt much for myself that year. I will never guide hunts like that again. Now I help family and friends but mainly look forward to hunting with my daughter. We went and shot a nice antelope last Sunday morning on some state land not far from my house. Best hunt ever with my 6 year old and wife with me.

Attachments

• 2012AntelopeBigPaul.jpg
    2012AntelopeBigPaul.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 790
So you guys are saying there are difficult people to deal with when you offer a service to the public? Who would of thunk that?

If every guided hunter acted like the people you guys paint with a broad brush then there wouldn't be many outfitters or guides.

I have never been on an guided/outfitted big game hunt. I have been on more than one outfitted waterfowl hunt north of the border. If my guides were anything like you guys, I wouldn't tip them either luckily the guys who guided me up north were just as into hunting as I was and we had have had some great times together and I have left my share of $$$ in their pockets as a tip for a job well done.

If is is so terrible then don't do it, fairly simple solution.

Nemont

This topic is just something impossible for me to relate to, in that putting myself in the position of having to endure the likes of the rich globe-trotting arrogant "hunters" such as described by wyo556 could never happen. There is no amount of money in the world that would entice me to do that, especially at the risk of souring even one day of hunting. But then I never aspired to be cash-rich, yet my outdoors experiences allow me to be extremely wealthy in so many other ways.
I have helped others hunt and "guided" them to success, both young and old, certainly not for money, but for sharing the love and excitement of hunting that I embrace.
I do respect and admire the traditional outfitters and guides who do provide a top quality professional service, even though I would not pay for such a thing. Unfortunately these days they are a dwindling breed, too often replaced by the access fee outfitters or the high fence operations described above. Obviously there is a market for even that ... but it's not for me!

If you are talking to me I clearly said lodge hunts for Antelope in Wyoming. You don't' have to go through a guide to hunt antelope in WY, that is a fact. That has nothing to do with what you brought up in Alaska and there is no need to hunt Antelope in wilderness areas in WY. These are tags that can be drawn every year so it has nothing to do with drawing a tag in NM and there is ample public land available to hunt. Sorry your exceptions don't' apply to what I said at all.

It's true and it bothers you because you go on guided hunts. That is why you have a problem with what I said. Everything I posted is from actual experiences and based on facts, none of it is made up or exaggerated.

Apparently I hurt your feelings, that was not my intent.

My feelings were not hurt, I just don't care for somebody talking about the people who pay you to do your job. Really pretty simple. Yes, I have been on a couple of Guided Hunts and they were a blast because I was able to help the guides and teach them some things, just because your being guided does not mean you don't bring something to the table. John

So you guys are saying there are difficult people to deal with when you offer a service to the public? Who would of thunk that?

If every guided hunter acted like the people you guys paint with a broad brush then there wouldn't be many outfitters or guides.

I have never been on an guided/outfitted big game hunt. I have been on more than one outfitted waterfowl hunt north of the border. If my guides were anything like you guys, I wouldn't tip them either luckily the guys who guided me up north were just as into hunting as I was and we had have had some great times together and I have left my share of $$$ in their pockets as a tip for a job well done.

If is is so terrible then don't do it, fairly simple solution.

Nemont

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

Until you have guided wealthy clients dojn't judge my opinions on them. They are a different breed of hunter and I am using that term loosely. Wealthy people treat "service" people like dirt sometimes and it is not fun to be on the wrong end of that deal. You just bite your tongue and keep moving forward, hope like heck you can get them tagged out and out of your truck.

Glad to hear you treat your guides well. Guys like yoruself who are into hunting and are willing to work at it are fun to guide. It's more like hunting with friends than guiding.

My feelings were not hurt, I just don't care for somebody talking about the people who pay you to do your job. Really pretty simple. Yes, I have been on a couple of Guided Hunts and they were a blast because I was able to help the guides and teach them some things, just because your being guided does not mean you don't bring something to the table. John

John,

First plenty of people talk badly about some of those who pay them. Waiters are a good example, surely you don't think every customer is fun to serve food to? How about strippers, do you think they ever talk badly about the people who pay them? I could list more but I think you get the idea.

If you think that every wealthy hunter who goes on a guided hunt is a pleasure to work with you are not being realistic. Those type of people can have unrealistic expectations and treat "servcie" people of all kind like dirt. If you read my post about the guy who thought he was one of the best hunters in the world and thought he was a real hunter and fun to guide I don't know what to say to you other than I think you would feel differently if you guided him on a hunt. If talking about those kinds of people bothers you please don't take things so personally. I know you are nothing like that and would imagine that hunting with you would be fun and I would likely learn something.

As a former fly fishing guide I will say that as a general rule, the more money a client has, the bigger a-hole they are and the less they tip.

Luckily, I usually only had someone in my boat for a day or two. I can't imagine what it would be like having to deal with the same person for a week straight, 24 hours a day. That's probably why I never went into being a hunting guide, although several outfitters asked me to. There are some things I won't do for money.

After 20 years in my line of work, the wealthy and tipping , for the most part , don't mix. The demanding and distasteful customer is part of working with the public.

I didnt read much of this..kinda stopped at the "has to be old"..BS, one of the best in the Biz for big bulls is still in his 20's, and he's been doing in for awhile now, Kalan Lemon..Eli Grimmit dont look too old, but i'm betting he's pretty decent at what he does as well..Then there are Phil Shoemakers kids that seem to put their clients on B&C brownies year after year..

Last edited:
What exactly is that supposed to mean?

Until you have guided wealthy clients dojn't judge my opinions on them. They are a different breed of hunter and I am using that term loosely. Wealthy people treat "service" people like dirt sometimes and it is not fun to be on the wrong end of that deal. You just bite your tongue and keep moving forward, hope like heck you can get them tagged out and out of your truck.

Glad to hear you treat your guides well. Guys like yoruself who are into hunting and are willing to work at it are fun to guide. It's more like hunting with friends than guiding.

Did you refuse to take the money or stop providing the service? Nope, you just let them treat you badly and kept on providing what the person paid for. Wonder why a wealthy person who treated people poorly learned that people still would continue to provide a service regardless of how they are treated.

I have been on the wrong end of a client thinking their money was greener than everybody else's. I fired my clients who acted like that

Nemont

I didnt read much of this..kinda stopped at the "has to be old"..BS, one of the best in the Biz for big bulls is still in his 20's, and he's been doing in for awhile now, Kalan Lemon..Eli Grimmit dont look too old, but i'm betting he's pretty decent at what he does as well..Then there are Phil Shoemakers kids that seem to put their clients on B&C brownies year after year..

Yeah, I left that one alone, but age has absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

The terms guide and client are well over generalized here. I have been on hunts both DIY and with a guide. Some of the guides were good, some were great, and other less than stellar. What I put into it is what I get out of it plain and simple, both on DIY and guided hunts. If you don't go into any hunt thinking that you are doomed from the start. In many cases I have been more experienced than the guide that was hunting with me or in better shape and always a part of the hunt not just a tag-along who complains when it snows, the treck is far, or the animals are sparse. What I am paying for is either logistics or the necessary means to hunt in a certain area. I like to hunt 7-10 states a year for everything from waterfowl to big game and I simply cannot do every trip on my own, it isn't feasibly possible or allowable given vacation/time constraints. I am also not wealthy, but don't waste my money on beer or extravagant items, so wealth and guided hunts are far from tied together. On the flip side, I understand that not every client is in shape, a good shot, or even a hunter. But, if you are a guide, you have to realize this is part of the process and possibly the reason they are paying you. If you want to make a living guiding hunters, deal with it. Not every client will be the next coming of Davey Crockett...

Going by what you see on TV is tough... I have a feeling that there aren't any real guides at "the lodge at Chama" or whatever it is... I have a belief that a guide sleeps on a bedroll or a cot and not on a pillow top king mattress.
Going by what I've seen on TV a guide is usually "My good friend so and so..."

This might b e the only thing whrth a dang in my post... you'll know a real guide when you meet one!!

guide (gd)
n.
a. One who shows the way by leading, directing, or advising.
b. One who serves as a model for others, as in a course of conduct.
2. A person employed to conduct others, as through a museum, and give information about points of interest encountered.
a. Something, such as a pamphlet, that offers basic information or instruction: a shopper's guide.
b. A guidebook.
a. Something that serves to direct or indicate.
b. A device, such as a ruler, tab, or bar, that serves as an indicator or acts to regulate a motion or operation.
5. A soldier stationed at the right or left of a column of marchers to control alignment, show direction, or mark the point of pivot.

I love when people start threads with the disclaimer of "i know this will piss off some guys but i think....."

A few questions I have for you......Are you a guide? If so, who's the outfitter you work for? Do you think he would mind your internet rant and the potential of your rant driving potential business away? And lastly, if you see an ugly, fat woman out in public, would you walk up to her and say, "I know this is gonna piss you off, but ......." I ask that facetiously of course, and I would hope you have the manners to not behave that way in public, so Im curious why you would spew your opinions on a forum made up mostly of guys that pride themselves in "OnYourOwn" hunting.

I live over a thousand miles away from most of the areas I like to hunt. I like to hunt multiple times a year out there. Lastly, I cut my teeth hunting with my uncles in Western Pennsylvania (my parents don't hunt) and none of them have ever set foot in the mountains, let alone hunted it. For all of those reasons, I typically do at least one guided hunt a year.

For me, a guide (or guided hunt) does a number of things. A guide is someone who pushes me when I need to be pushed and encourages me to go further or harder. A guide is willing to share his insight and thought process into why we are hunting the way we are hunting so that I can learn. A guide provides resources and skills that are unfamiliar to me and keeps me safe. A guide provides access and knowledge of an area that I don't have and that is difficult to pick up without being there. This is what I look for in a guide, and it's probably different than what his employer may be looking for (people skills, horsemanship, work ethic, etc). I will also say depending on the outfit, some of these skills mean a lot more than others (driving hunters to a treestand in Illinois versus packing hunters in 7 miles on horseback for a wilderness hunt are two entirely different scenarios and they can't be painted with the same brush).

I've gotten a lot out of guided hunts because I've put in a lot. I come in shape, equipment ready, and willing to work my a$$ off. I come open minded and ready to learn, but also not afraid to offer my two cents. I have climbed pretty far up the learning curve and I owe a lot of it to the people that have guided me. I'm more and more comfortable going DIY these days, but that won't stop me from going on guided hunts in the future. Those guided hunts were every bit as hard and challenging as the DIY hunts were. It's inaccurate to paint every guided hunt with the same brush as it is to paint every hunter who chooses to go on a guided hunt the same way.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back