Yeti GOBOX Collection

What firearms would to take travelling around the USA, going into both anti and pro states ?

Mustangs Rule

Caiifornia and Arizona are sister states but a world apart when it somes to fiearm laws. One state will give you a handshake and a pass for certain guns and in the other state it's felony and loss of gun rights. What firearm would take with you in your camper on a long road trip around the USA.

I already made my choice, Smith and Wesson Model 15 38 special revolver and and my Sako Finnlight bolt action carbine in .308

Ithaca Deerslayer or equivalent in 20ga. Ruger SP-101 3” barrel, I like 327Fed but 38 would be good enough.

in addition I would invest in a quality security system for both the truck and camper. Study the reality of the states you will travel in. Having your firearms locked away securely and discreetly in the camper might be an important detail in some jurisdiction. I don’t know that and I wouldn’t trust my ramblings any further than you could throw a lawyer.

Last edited:
Think I would takee my Mod 70 Featherweight, 6.5x55. My S&W Shield in 9mm goes with me everywhere. My dogs would be with me so I'd take along one of my 28ga SxS's also.

Think I would takee my Mod 70 Featherweight, 6.5x55. My S&W Shield in 9mm goes with me everywhere. My dogs would be with me so I'd take along one of my 28ga SxS's also.
I like your sense of style Don.

Always have. Firearms can be about fight and/or fun. If there were some bird hunting opportunities on my journey, I would take my 20ga SXS Ithaca SKB, fun not fight, but just as capable to de-perpetrate a perpetrator.

I admire your choice with the 6.5x55. Have read the new post on the 6.5x55?

I have too much "Matthew Quigley" in me to be without a rifle,,,even just for driving around the west anywhere where there is so much public land to enjoy some rifle shooting. My Sako .308 carbine is fine for that.

As far as a handgun goes, I like to use the S and W revolvers of early FBI issue. Years ago when the FBI went away from them I was in gun store and they were selling a bunch of used black S and W holsters that were once official issue,,,$2 each. I bought a bunch of them.

Enjoy your day

MR

Hard to follow Ben’s response, I’ll go boring… 12 ga wingmaster and a 38 spl J frame, if we need a rifle I’ll add in my stainless 700 in 270

I like your sense of style Don.

Always have. Firearms can be about fight and/or fun. If there were some bird hunting opportunities on my journey, I would take my 20ga SXS Ithaca SKB, fun not fight, but just as capable to de-perpetrate a perpetrator.

I admire your choice with the 6.5x55. Have read the new post on the 6.5x55?

I have too much "Matthew Quigley" in me to be without a rifle,,,even just for driving around the west anywhere where there is so much public land to enjoy some rifle shooting. My Sako .308 carbine is fine for that.

As far as a handgun goes, I like to use the S and W revolvers of early FBI issue. Years ago when the FBI went away from them I was in gun store and they were selling a bunch of used black S and W holsters that were once official issue,,,$2 each. I bought a bunch of them.

Enjoy your day

MR
For tramping around with a handgun I like revolvers. Have a Mod 16 S&W in 32 long that is a faavorite. But comes to self defense I prefer to smaller slimer size and greater capacity and quicker re-load time of an auto.

You have a good day also!

As full time RV'rs of many years experience we simply do not spend our tourist dollars in places that are anti-2A. California and Illinois being Exhibits 1 and 2. Although these days both coasts require research to stay legal.
Someone above posted the link to state by state info.
I'd you are required to travel through "enemy territory" read the laws ahead of time and act accordingly.
Best of luck.

We usually have a 3006 bolt action, shotgun of some type, kahr 9mm (avoids mag capacity limits mostly), and a 357 wheel gun in our vehicle. Depending on what hunts I'm doing that year I'll also have a muzzleloader or bow in the RV as well.

Wasn't a camping trip, but just drove from WY to FL and back with my family. Didn't take any firearms and never felt like I needed one. And that's even with making a 3 AM pit-stop in down town Atlanta, GA.

Half track with quad 50s.

Perfect for traffic jams near any big cities.
Enough metal & traction to push them out of the way.

Gopher colony off the side of the highway??
Light em up!

A "mostly peaceful protest".
No worries!

Caiifornia and Arizona are sister states but a world apart when it somes to fiearm laws. One state will give you a handshake and a pass for certain guns and in the other state it's felony and loss of gun rights. What firearm would take with you in your camper on a long road trip around the USA.

I already made my choice, Smith and Wesson Model 15 38 special revolver and and my Sako Finnlight bolt action carbine in .308
Really depends on what you want them for? Hunting trip, the ole trusty 308 bolt action.

Just going camping, I don't need anything?

Worried about safety, 870 pump would fit the bill easily and face few restrictions. Maybe gun case laws in certain states while operating your vehicle

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back