What else to do in WY?

CdnHunter

Hello. Two of us are pronghorn hunting in east-central Wyoming this fall. We have many years of back country hunting experience but are new to this state and species. We're camping and looking forward to exploring a new landscape. We've done our research on the unit and are well prepared. We've allocated 8 days for hunting (mid Oct) and plan to stay the full time.

Here's the question: what else to do if we happen to fill our tags quickly? What are the best opportunities for small game, birds, fishing. etc? Specific suggestions would be appreciated. (Not looking to to do big game combo hunt.) Thanks.

Last edited:
If you're hunting antelope, you'll probably be in some good coyote country. If you wanted to stick around that area, you could call coyotes. But I second what LCH said too: move camp to a national forest and scout and fish the mountain lakes. If your just hunting antelope, I would guess you'll have 6 or 7 days to kill after you tag out.

I always bring a shotgun, and usually hunt sage grouse, or chukars while I'm out on a antelope hunt.

East-Central is a little vague but that could put you close to the miracle mile and Gray Reef on the Platte river. Definitely worth a float trip down that stretch. There is some public access as well.

Kill your antelope in one or two days and move camp to colorado and elk hunt over the counter. Just plan the days accordingl to season start and end dates. Been there done that.

Hello. Two of us are pronghorn hunting in east-central Wyoming this fall. We have many years of back country hunting experience but are new to this state and species. We're camping and looking forward to exploring a new landscape. We've done our research on the unit and are well prepared. We've allocated 8 days for hunting (mid Oct) and plan to stay the full time.

Here's the question: what else to do if we happen to fill our tags quickly? What are the best opportunities for small game, birds, fishing. etc? Specific suggestions would be appreciated. (Not looking to to do big game combo hunt.) Thanks.
Last year was my first trip to Wyoming and the highlight for me was meeting a local rancher. He showed me around his place including the original homestead cabin. A book was written about his family homesteading the place. I bought and read it after I got home. Was fascinating to read the book and have an actual image of the landscape and cabin. So glad I introduced myself to him in a local cafe. Nicest guy I have ever met.

I always bring a shotgun, and usually hunt sage grouse, or chukars while I'm out on a antelope hunt.

We can move around the state if the antelope hunt is over quickly. Bird hunting is definitely on our list. Any suggestions for good chukar and sage grouse areas?

Last year in october on my antelope hunt I was kicking myself for not bringing waders and duck decoys. I was in NE Wyoming and all the ponds and potholes on public land were full of ducks and geese, and it didn't look like anyone had intentions of going after them.

Kill your antelope in one or two days and move camp to colorado and elk hunt over the counter. Just plan the days according to season start and end dates. Been there done that.

It's always tempting to add a side trip, but we prefer to linger. It's really enjoyable to explore, scout, fish, camp, hike in a new state.

There is usually no shortage of rabbits if you are so inclined. Same with Yotes and prairedogs. I always take a 22 along in case I get done early, just need to pick up a small game license.

Grab your seats early for the Jackalope migration. You will see grandstands set up all across the state....

3930d668-bfe9-43d2-be53-1710b9a47217.jpg

But seriously,

If you are in East Wyoming, check out some of the Coal Mines . Big Thunder in Wright will do tours if you call ahead

If you tag out early enough you could drive over to check out Yellowstone Park. Most of the Summer crowd will be gone. Lots of good fishing along the West side. Pick up your meat on the way back?

Not sure of the Fishing in the Bighorns

Hit the Black Hills in SD. Visit Deadwood.

Little Bighorn battlefield is in MT. Might be along your path home.

Cody WY has the Buffalo Bill Museum

Sage grouse are Sept hunting but other game birds are available. Dusky grouse up in the mountains, Snowies and Laramie Peak area, waterfowl perhaps along a river or small lake- the wind will blow your game to the bank, sharptails on the eastern plains and coyote everywhere. Rabbits and squirrels are also a given.
Brookies and browns are spawing in fall, walleye in some eastern lakes. We have Platte River fishing, Laramie River , Seminoe Res., Pathfinder Res. Glendo Res , Grayrocks Res, Laramie Plains Lakes and all kinds of small water fishing up in the mountains
Wolves are making their way around our area as well and we're the predator zone.

And yes, many find our snow fences interesting.

Go see the dinosaur tracks as drive west towards Cody then head south to Wind River or further west to Yellowstone. Bring a nice camera as your phone will not capture all the nuances of color you will see.

Good idea to plan ahead. Unless, you're trophy hunting, it won't take you too long to fill those tags. 3 of us filled our tags in 2 days last year. This was in a unit with limited access to public, so it was harder than it could have been.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back