Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What do you do to buy the household rights to hunt every possible day of big game season?

Mine was temporary but last year A marriage and blindly accepting to follow her wherever her new job put her (they decided, not us)got me a month off in September to chase elk. 3 bulls and 9mo after our wedding day and it was totally worth it.

I have 3 young kids (13, 10 and 7), so I don't have this one down pat. It changes year to year and week to week and isn't getting any easier, that's for sure. With two boys of hunting age now, I'm finding that I need to start thinking about some of my hunting time as their hunting time. My last trip to Wyoming, the kid had an elk tag and a doe antelope tag. I just had a doe antelope tag. I do wish I had more time to hunt myself, but hunting with my boys is enjoyable, it helps with my wife's perspective on all of this and I'm thinking that if I get them really hooked, I'll just HAVE to go along with them when they're older too! The dream is that I'm creating lifelong hunting partners who will be really fun to hunt with (and who will pack out deer and elk for me).

45 years ago I started dating the sister of a couple of guys I fished and hunted with. She made the comment that she thought her mother should get up at 3 am and make sure the boys got breakfast before a duck hunt. I knew then that she would understand a hunter. She used to go on all of the week long hunts but not so much any more. She now just asks that I check in occasionally.

For those that "hunt enough" I understand. In my former job I camped out for 33 years. Some was because the state per diem was $12/day and some was because there were no facilities within 1-2 hrs. Tent life was 4 months per year and 20,000 miles. My family came along when young and even my wife at times.

My current awareness was hightened last year as I was astride a horse after going through chemo. Every trip might be my last. Many rugged beautiful places might be the last time I might ever see them. That feeling you get when a nice bull steps out in front of you could only be a memory. With a dwindling future in front of me, I have decided that those things are critical to my life and I am going to grab every piece of it that I can before its gone - before I'm gone. Live every day you got like its your last because it might be.

Nicely put. especially with all of the things happening in our world, the outdoors is a refuge and should be appreciated to the max!

Huh, I think I may have figured out why I have had no luck with long term relationships.

Apparently, only being around in the evenings at the best, or chasing critters too far from home to be at home at the worst, for 5+ months out of the year is a limiting factor.

Noted.

Last edited:
I annoy my wife until she doesn't wanna see me for awhile. Lol

No, I usually remodel a room (1940s house) or help out as much as I can. I will usually come back for a day during my 11 day jaunt since elk camp is only an hour away. That way I gave her a day off from the kid and 3 dogs.

Get everything caught up around the house, make sure she gets out for some hunts before i take off for longer trips.

Wife likes venison. If I get tired and still have an unfilled tag she says, “Get off the couch, and shoot the first one you see.” I watch the kids a fair amount during the off season to give her time to do the things she enjoys. She gets equal $ for her passions from our budget. I’m pretty handy and I work on her honeydo list Feb-Aug. I love my wife more than hunting, which translates to less time afield. Others stay single or marry a female hunter, and that can work great for them.

Married 32 years.
Only in the beginning did she complain. She was complaining about my hunting to my mom and my mom set her straight. She said " You know it could be worse, he could be in a bar somewhere chasing skirts instead"
That changed my wife's outlook.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back