What do you carry when hunting in otter habitat?

I haven't offended an otter yet, but yesterday I got a little too close to a mama loon and her chick. I'm not ashamed to admit that I paddled away pretty quickly. She was pissed. She'd rear up out of the water, splash, yell a single loud squawk at me, then dive back and forth under my kayak, popping up just behind me to repeat the process. She kept that up for a few hundred yards. It was the first time I've ever been able to see a loon swimming under water. The lake was very clear and let me tell you, those things move fast under water!
That's a cool story, never knew they could be that aggressive. Is it rare in your area to be able to get that close to a loon to begin with?

Watched an otter attack a large draht in the water last year during a test. Three on one. We had to use some bird shot to discourage the attackers. Mean little ****ers.

Were they startled? Did the draht have bells on? Was it a sow and cubs? Were they otter aware? Please the pooch properly stored its food.

Were they startled? Did the draht have bells on? Was it a sow and cubs? Were they otter aware? Please the pooch properly stored its food.
I think they were defending a den/cub. No bells, no pistol, no pepper spray, dog food was in an otter vault.

I think they were defending a den/cub. No bells, no pistol, no pepper spray, dog food was in an otter vault.
If only we had a season on them. Little bastards have lost the fear of man.

I used to not lock my doors at night. But this attack happened less than 50 miles from my house.

Grizzlies have taken my elk and chased me from my black bear hunting spot.
Wolves have eaten all the elk in NW Montana and forced me to change hunting regions.
A mountain lion attacked my chickens and now this.

Next thing you know it won’t be safe for my kids to swim in the pool they set up in the backyard.

Otters are out of control. I’m contacting my representative and demanding that FWP open up shoulder seasons for these vicious trout eaters. What is going to happen to Montana’s fishing and water recreation industry when all of the trout are gone and you can only inner tube the rivers at peril to your life?

Not only that but it was -44 degrees this past winter.

If moving to Montana has ever crossed your mind, save yourselves and your wife , kids, dogs, cats, hamsters and goldfish and move to California instead.
Gerald at the next town board meeting:
IMG_3155.gif

Has anyone brought up the 458 Win Nemo Omen AR? It’s like, the 458 is great in bolt or double for water buffalo, any big cat and Kodiak brown bears. But otters are agile, faster than any other terrestrial predator. So quick follow ups are necessary as the first terrified shot will be a miss.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back