What do you carry when hunting in otter habitat?

theat

Hi,

I'm going to be hunting this fall in some prime otter habitat and with recent events I'm very concerned with my self defense. I'm thinking I'll need at least a 10mm or 44 mag. Or is otter spray good enough?

(No disrespect intended to those that were injured and I hope that they have a quick and complete recovery)

My youngest (5) loves otters, she could sit at the Billings zoo for hours just watching em. My wife showed me this story this morning and we both agreed to keep it hush. Lol. I’ll be keeping an eye out though. 9mm.. Supressed

I released one unharmed from a #3 4-coil last year. Fortunately for me he was almost dead from exhaustion cause his eyes said he wanted to tear me up. He was as long as my leg and just as fat only with no cellulite that I could see, so he could have likely done it.

I haven't offended an otter yet, but yesterday I got a little too close to a mama loon and her chick. I'm not ashamed to admit that I paddled away pretty quickly. She was pissed. She'd rear up out of the water, splash, yell a single loud squawk at me, then dive back and forth under my kayak, popping up just behind me to repeat the process. She kept that up for a few hundred yards. It was the first time I've ever been able to see a loon swimming under water. The lake was very clear and let me tell you, those things move fast under water!

If you take all the precautions and just be otter smart you got nothing to worry about. Keep your catch well away from the bank so a cruising otter down the river won't catch thr scent of your trout. Always fish in pairs. Otters are mostly active in twilight hours and over night so avoid fishing those times if you can. Most importantly don't get between a kit and mom.

I bet my rifle with my special scope that can see them charging underwater towards me will kill them faster and better than your pistol well.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back