What clothing piece to add for backpack hunting

GBHUNTER

I am trying to add to my gear list and feel like I am missing something from my clothing. The piece I feel I am missing out on the most is a warmer top layer. I can't decide if I should go with a softshell, a vest, or a warmer merino base layer. I am open to any suggestions outside this. This will be a backcountry backpack hunt in Colorado September 14-22. Thanks for any input!

Current setup is
Top:
First Lite Llano
First Lite Chama
First Ascent base layer
Fleece
First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy
First Lite Vapor Stormlight Jacket

Bottom:
DarnTough Socks x 3
Red Desert Boxers x1
Off brand wool boxers x2
First Lite Alleghany
First Lite Kanab 2.0
Prana Stretch
First Lite Vapor Stormlight Pants

I have 2 100% Merino sweaters in olive green that I purchased off ebay for 8 bucks each. Used them alot on my last two hunts ( NM and CO).

First of all, welcome to the forum (even though you've been a member for awhile). My two favorite items are probably my Chama and Uncompaghre, so your list looks pretty good to me. I'm guessing you have some type of beanie and gloves as well. Not that everything needs to be First Lite, but my son gave me a pair of FL merino wool fingerless gloves, I was skeptical, but now I really like those little gloves when temps are in those in-between levels.

Looks like you are more than covered man. Personally I would add a pair of gaiters to that list, but thats just me.

The huntbackcountry podcast guys recently did an episode where they interviewed a newer backpack hunter and told him what they would include and what they would take out for a similar hunt. Might want to give it a listen.

There are a lot of times in Sept. that I wouldn't have all that along depending on forecast. Either way I'd swap the fleece for something multi-use like a wind shirt or light softshell, just me.

Even in Wyoming high country mid October I take
Lightweight merino longsleeve
Hooded sitka traverse
First lite uncompadre puffy
Sitka dewpoint rain jacket.

Pants
Kuiu zip off 145
Sitka timberline
Sitka puffy pants
Sitka dewpoint pants.

I have had to wear everything but I have never been worse than slightly uncomfortable concerning cold and never for long periods at that.

In September, in Colorado, be prepared for a range between 90°f down to 20°f and everything in between. The weather her swings wildly......especially in September. Good luck and be safe!!

The huntbackcountry podcast guys recently did an episode where they interviewed a newer backpack hunter and told him what they would include and what they would take out for a similar hunt. Might want to give it a listen.

Thanks so much I will do that.

Thanks for responses everyone. Very helpful. I am probably more of a cold sleeper than some and love having the fleece for at night or under my puffy if I am sitting.

If it were me, i would add gaiters and probably a sitka jetstream vest. I have found that to be a very useful piece that packs small. Gloves and beanie too of course.

I too would add gaiters, windproof vest and a neck balaclava.

Also FWIW, there is no prescription for backpack hunting clothing, contrary to what manufacturers would like everyone to believe. If you can shake out what gear makes sense to use when, that's the ticket.

yes, already have a warm neck gaiter, beanie, and aerowool liner glove and softshell shooting glove both from first lite. Last year I used softshell shooting glove and was not impressed

I'm not really sure that you can improve much on that list. What kind of hunting are you doing? If it's backpacking (probably is, since you posted in this area) I can't think of anything to add. If you're tree stand hunting you may want to think about some sort of warm pant, but when I'm moving around everything you have listed will keep you plenty toasty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back