Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Backcountry Archery Clothing

BrinkOutWest

Hi all,

My wife and I are moving to Montana in late June. I am in the process of upgrading gear from my midwest whitetail gear to backcountry elk/mule deer gear. I want to mainly focus on archery initially. As the season progresses, I can get heavier stuff for later in the season. I just want to get my archery stuff locked in, because I don't want it to be all sold out based on the timeframe when we're moving, and it's close proximity to season opener. I have priced out Firstlite, Kuiu, and Sitka. At this point, I am leaning heavy toward FirstLite because reviews make it sound like good gear and it's a little more affordable at this point (I'm having to upgrade a lot of stuff, so price is definitely a factor).

I don't have a lot of experience with intense layering systems, so I climbed down the rabbit hole and this is what my preliminary Firstlite gear list includes:

Top:
A random shirt for the hike in.
Wick Hoody (I like the hood for sun protection while glassing)
Sawtooth Hybrid Vest (I've always been a fan of vests for the warmth, but reduction in sleeves for drawing the bow)
Corrugate guide jacket
Uncompahgre 2.0 (Most likely just for back at camp??)

Pants:
Prana pants
Fuse zip off boot top
Uncompahgre (For back at camp?)

Rain Gear:
Boundary Stormtight
Vapor Stormlight

It seems like a guy can layer forever with these lines. I'm just curious to hear the good, the bad and the ugly on this stuff. I don't want to break the bank, but I also want to make sure my bases are covered- I don't want to freeze or get soaked. I also don't want to have to upgrade in a year, so I'm willing to spend a little extra upfront for quality gear.

I appreciate any and all insight you guys can provide. Thanks!

I don't mean to be blunt, but there are literally dozens of threads on this topic, review those. Generally you're on the right path (but there's no need to hike in in a different shirt) but do everything you can to sort out your layering system in the off season hiking around the block (or wherever you train). Most of us have patched a system from a half a dozen or more brands. If you want to hunt after Oct you'll need more layers.

The best hunters on this site don't seem to use a ton of camo, so don't get stuck on that.

Last bit, there's nothing wrong with buying used.

Hi all,

My wife and I are moving to Montana in late June. I am in the process of upgrading gear from my midwest whitetail gear to backcountry elk/mule deer gear. I want to mainly focus on archery initially. As the season progresses, I can get heavier stuff for later in the season. I just want to get my archery stuff locked in, because I don't want it to be all sold out based on the timeframe when we're moving, and it's close proximity to season opener. I have priced out Firstlite, Kuiu, and Sitka. At this point, I am leaning heavy toward FirstLite because reviews make it sound like good gear and it's a little more affordable at this point (I'm having to upgrade a lot of stuff, so price is definitely a factor).

I don't have a lot of experience with intense layering systems, so I climbed down the rabbit hole and this is what my preliminary Firstlite gear list includes:

Top:
A random shirt for the hike in.
Wick Hoody (I like the hood for sun protection while glassing)
Sawtooth Hybrid Vest (I've always been a fan of vests for the warmth, but reduction in sleeves for drawing the bow)
Corrugate guide jacket
Uncompahgre 2.0 (Most likely just for back at camp??)

Pants:
Prana pants
Fuse zip off boot top
Uncompahgre (For back at camp?)

Rain Gear:
Boundary Stormtight
Vapor Stormlight

It seems like a guy can layer forever with these lines. I'm just curious to hear the good, the bad and the ugly on this stuff. I don't want to break the bank, but I also want to make sure my bases are covered- I don't want to freeze or get soaked. I also don't want to have to upgrade in a year, so I'm willing to spend a little extra upfront for quality gear.

I appreciate any and all insight you guys can provide. Thanks!
Most of your whitetail gear will work for early season archery elk, even if the pattern is “wrong”. The clothing really diverges in cold weather when you’re sitting in a tree stand vs active movement. I’d save your money and focus elsewhere.

Lots of good options out there lots of inexpensive options as well. My advice is camo is over rated anymore....... while I have a fair amount of it I have more so been buying items from Costco, SG, and mountaineer/hiking companies than sitka kuiu or first lite.

Get stuff that is comfortable, some of my favourite hunting pants are Wrangler pants (Nylon/Spandex 95/5%) that I bought for 30$ at Walmart, they breathe, are water proof and block the wind. They are just as good as my First Lite Corrugate (Nylon and Spandex 90/10%). Base layers; I prefer merino, don't need to break the bank on fancy OD/Coyote Brown/Camo base layers. Get what is comfortable and fits the budget.

I like First Lite, they offer great discounts for Military and First Responders so it's a no brainer for me. But it's not really about camo, find stuff that works, is comfortable, packable and most of all; quiet. Good boots are 100% worth it and pair them with good insoles and socks.

Thank you for all of the responses guys. I really do appreciate it! SaskHunter, we are in the same boat, so that helps offset some of the initial cost. I'm also able to justify some of the expense because I couldn't care less about the actual camo pattern. A lot of the stuff I want to get is solid color, then I can use it more frequently on hiking/scouting trips, hunts and everyday use in the mountains. I'm more concerned about getting equipment and gear that is going to last as I will definitely be using it frequently. Again, thank you all for responses!

I bought 2 long sleeve dry fit shirts REI brand in 2006 and I’ve worn and washed them probably 400 times each and they still have hardly any signs of wear. I don’t even know how that’s possible. I think they were like $40 each but they are my cheapest clothes I own in terms of times worn per $ spent.
1610507524679.jpeg
14-year-old grey top

Suggest staying away from Patagonia and REI. They spend a lot of money donating funds to close land to hunting and motorized travel in the backcountry.
I donate money specifically for the second ... can’t remember ever wishing there were more roads where I hunt

Some people have other hobbies that include motorized travel in the backcountry, some people use motors to access hunting. Support who you want, my point was to know where your money goes, I don’t care who anybody supports. There are ways all people can use the backcountry it doesn’t need to be all or nothing.

Some people have other hobbies that include motorized travel in the backcountry, some people use motors to access hunting. Support who you want, my point was to know where your money goes, I don’t care who anybody supports. There are ways all people can use the backcountry it doesn’t need to be all or nothing.
🙄 you shouldn’t buy Sitka or First lite either I guess...

my point was to know where your money goes
Patagonia was against grizzly delisting
REI dropped or discussed dropping Camelbak as it was owned by vista outdoors who owned firearm companies like savage who produced “AR-15” style weapons

Sitka was against leasing in ANWR

First Lite has numerous wilderness and conservation positions... pebble, boundary waters, etc etc

I could spend the entire afternoon googling various companies and positions. These are just ones off the top of my head.

You can cancel companies or engage with them on areas where you disagree.

Personally I have written letters of frustration to Patagonia and REI, and also appreciate the work they do YMMV.

Outdoor Research makes good rain gear if you don’t have to have camo.

Buy quality stuff it’ll save you dollars in the long run if you truly use it. I have a bunch of Minus 33 wool stuff. It wasn’t cheap, but I have a pair of mid weight bottoms I’ve been wearing for about four or five years now that are finally wearing out. I wear these 4-5 days a week for 5 months of the year.

I also have some lightweight REI quarter zips. I can’t remember how old these damned things are, but it’s going on 7-8 years. I wear them probably 90 days a year.

Your list of gear seems a like a bit much for just archery season IMO. The weather in Montana is obviously going to be a little different but in Colorado it's pretty mild in archery season (minus the odd snowstorm) with day time temps in the high 50s-70s and nights in the low 30s-40s and I was able to get away with just a first lite wick hoody & boxers, Kuiu attack pants, and a kuiu softshell jacket for evenings/mornings and I was very comfortable with no complaints. If you aren't planning on backpack hunting and doing more day hunts/spike camps then it could make sense to invest in some rain gear or puffys to ensure you're not sacrificing comfort for weight savings. For starting out I would get a merino baselayer top and bottoms in the wick weight, a softshell jacket, and a pair of pants that have a DWR coating and then you can build out from there, but that foundation is a good start.

I'm not sure if it's worth getting one of the big 3 camo brands rain jacket & pants for archery season unless you plan on using it for the later seasons. Most likely if it rains it's going to be only a couple hours or less and it's over, a good softshell jacket and pants with DWR are good enough to get through that without getting wet and if it gets worse you can always bring a tarp to make a shelter or hunker down under a tree.

Also a good tip is that kuiu and first lite have sales that are usually 20% off around pretty much any holiday so that's usually when I pick up my gear, it's expensive stuff but you don't have to pay full retail on everything. So far I have no complaints about kuiu or first lite products as far as comfort and durability are concerned, I def feel like you get what you pay for with that stuff.

Go to Kuiu website. Thye have a whole layer guide. they make the best stuff. Especially for weight

I would definitely get merino wool base layer, including under shorts & socks. You’ll thank yourself after you wear the same socks & shorts for 7-8 days straight cuz they won’t smell. You’ll prolly pack too many clothes on your first backpack trip, even though people tell you otherwise. I did too. I wear firstlite. Corrugated guide pants, kiln shirt, minus33 under shorts & t shirt, darn tough socks. That’s my everyday clothes. If it’s chilly, I’ll slip on my Klamath hoodie or puffy jacket, but I don’t bring both, just one or the other. And spend the $ on good boots (buy once cry once) crispi or hanwag are my brands.

Back